Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rear Shock Absorber Query

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

HI GUYS yet again...

Just another thought for the experts...to with my 2001 1.8vvti hatch again...

How can you tell if the shock absorbers are worn or becoming worn??? Are there any early tell-tale signs to show they are wearing out? I know one could do the bounce test on each corner...ie...if it bounces back up once/twice and rests the shocks are fine! But are there any VISIBLE ways of checking/telling??? I get like a very slight thumping sound at the rear somewhere but the car passes the bounce test fine...and i've looked for any leaks on the shock absorbers themselves but i dont know what to be looking for exactly. the cars done 86,000...any comments would be MOST appreciated. Thank you all.

Sam

HI GUYS yet again...

Just another thought for the experts...to with my 2001 1.8vvti hatch again...

How can you tell if the shock absorbers are worn or becoming worn??? Are there any early tell-tale signs to show they are wearing out? I know one could do the bounce test on each corner...ie...if it bounces back up once/twice and rests the shocks are fine! But are there any VISIBLE ways of checking/telling??? I get like a very slight thumping sound at the rear somewhere but the car passes the bounce test fine...and i've looked for any leaks on the shock absorbers themselves but i dont know what to be looking for exactly. the cars done 86,000...any comments would be MOST appreciated. Thank you all.

Sam

I just did my rear shocks earlier, what a pain in the ***** that was, had to remove all the boot trim and part of the rear seat just to get access to the 3 bolts holding the shocks. But having driven the car I can say its much better now over the bumps. I will do the fronts as well just to match it all up.

I would bounce the car and see how much it bounces, with my new shocks I cannot bounce the car, where as with the old worn ones you could bounce it all day. Sometimes on the shaft you can see oily mist, but not always if they are gas. If the car has done 80k+ miles you may as well change them anyway. Go for KYB or Monroe, they seem to make some decent shocks. www.camskilltyres.co.uk seem to sell KYB at a very good price.

Good luck.

The thumping sound is more likely to be the Anti Roll Bar bushings rather than the shocks.

You will know in the handling, if one or other shock is gone. Secondly, if you look at the shock when the underside of the car is totally dry and you can see a "wet" area just down from where the chrome section enters the shock body, then it is leaking and needs replacing there and then or in the near future. Always replace shocks in pairs.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links