Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rwyb - Sunday 16th May 2010

ricc

i wouldnt mind you taking mine down for a blast on the strip either, would be interesting how my clutch is workin etc. Im unhappy with my clutch thinking of pulling it out near summer and go for the helix and get a flywheel, something heavier than the fidanza possibly a c-one or rps

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ricc

• farhanali89

• MarcTS

• Norfolk n Chance

Woohoo! Looks like I could well be driving everything but my own car at this one! lol

Will have to wait and see what the weather is like, do some runs in mine to try and crack down the 14's a touch then go playing in other 'toys'.

If you want some brief pointers I knocked some stuff up on cc uk last year. Its in the Track driving 101 You can skip all the cornering/heel&toe malarky and head to the bottom of the post for the drag stuff.

I would of linked to it but TOC doesnt allow the words corolla club and uk to be posted. :(

If you want some brief pointers I knocked some stuff up on cc uk last year. Its in the Track driving 101 You can skip all the cornering/heel&toe malarky and head to the bottom of the post for the drag stuff.

I would of linked to it but TOC doesnt allow the words corolla club and uk to be posted. :(

cheers will do bud, go find it now. I know i dont need to sign in to read it, but trying to set up an account and it keeps coming up with some error.

hmmmm I can log in fine so not sure what error your getting. If it continues to play up youl have to collar T-Sport or compchris. My admin rights on there went walkies some point between last year and this year. hahaha

Stolen from my own works on another site! lol I was probably worse for wear writing this as its a load of waffle! lol

The tree goes green! And your off......or are you just wheel spinning?!

Getting a good start it is essential to a quick 1/4 mile time. The launch is all about how much power you can transfer to the road without producing excessive wheelspin.

Before running a 1/4 mile, many racers like to 'warm' up their tyres to increase potential grip by doing a burnout. This is not compulsory and entirely down to the drivers preference. By performing a stationary burnout it is possible to raise the tyre temperature by several 10's of degrees. Personally I do not do a burnout, as on standard road tyres I feel it is of no or little benefit to me. I also feel it puts unnecessary strain on the cluth and drivetrain literally moments before you do so again when the Tree lights go green.

First of all you should look at the track surface as you approach the line. lf you are able to choose the position of the car, consideration should be made to the traction of the surface you are on. Chances are there will be rubber on the track from pervious cars running and spinning their wheels. In the dry, positioning your wheels over this rubber will provide more grip, however in the wet the reverse is true. (At Santa Pod they often use absorbent powders to soak up any fluids that may have found their way onto the start line. This is a real pain as it always ends up with wheelspin and bad launches. I always aim to get my tires in the tracks of those who have run previous to myself to make sure I get the best possible launch/grip.)

Once you have set your start position, ensure your wheels are as straight as possible and that the car is pointing in the direction you want to head off down the track. Doing this will help transfer as much power to the ground as possible.

Once you are set and in position on the start line it is essential to set and hold your launch rev. speed. Set and hold the revs either in or just below your engine's power band. If you're familiar with the car you'll know what the best launch RPM is. If you are in an unfamiliar car bare in mind a Corolla T-Sport has a very different power delivery to a BMW M3.

Note: Don't 'blip' the throttle, as you won't be able to accurately set the revs.

Releasing the clutch progressively is by far the prefered technique in a road car. Dumping or 'sidesteping' the clutch will result in a massive shock to the transmission, and almost certainly produce uncontrolled wheelspin. Instead, release the clutch progressively, and counter the drop in revs with a slight increase on the throttle. Limit the wheelspin using a combination of clutch slip and throttle control, and try to fully release the clutch earlier rather than later.

In the wet, it can be a good strategy to pull off the line gently then gradually squeezing on the power, thus keeping wheelspin to a minimum.

You should note that the 'Christmas Tree' lights at drag strips change VERY fast, so the easier you can set your launch RPM and be prepared to go, the better your reaction will be.

I need to work on my launch im terrible on standing starts :crybaby:

If you manage 20+ runs like Gaz did, then you'll certainly have plenty of chance to practise.

The new record to beat is 21 runs in a day... i will be attempting to beat this B)

EDIT: And I never said lots of runs would make you good, just that you'd have lots of practice. Gaz set off on his last run like he was waiting for a pensioner to finish crossing the road in front of him :D

I was shattered by that point... i'd reached 'the wall' in terms of 1/4 mile runs :yawn::lol:

I need to work on my launch im terrible on standing starts :crybaby:

If you manage 20+ runs like Gaz did, then you'll certainly have plenty of chance to practise.

The new record to beat is 21 runs in a day... i will be attempting to beat this B)

EDIT: And I never said lots of runs would make you good, just that you'd have lots of practice. Gaz set off on his last run like he was waiting for a pensioner to finish crossing the road in front of him :D

I was shattered by that point... i'd reached 'the wall' in terms of 1/4 mile runs :yawn::lol:

Im pretty sure your supposed to beat your PB not total number of runs lol. quality of quantity surely? :P

Im pretty sure your supposed to beat your PB not total number of runs lol. quality of quantity surely? :P

Maybe so... but i wasn't the only one not to beat their PB :P :lol:

Yeah your right. But then my PB isn't as easy to get as others. I could mention at the same time I set a nice new terminal speed................god dammit I just mentioned it! lol

I guess my 2up run of 14.9 was a PB too, not to mention a new level and something else to aim for instead of just solo runs.

Take your pick, I think I did alright for myself ;)

Yeah your right. But then my PB isn't as easy to get as others.

Each person's PB is just as hard to get as yours is for you, hence 'Personal Best' :P :lol:

so why do you start something only to back track. give it a rest for once..... for the love of pod!

so why do you start something only to back track. give it a rest for once..... for the love of pod!

Start what??

You said the idea was to beat your PB... i pointed out that not everybody did...

Back track?

What have i 'started'?

Put me down as maybe :rolleyes: :D

Got alot on in May and might be going to Pod in April but maybe up for going again in May :thumbsup:

Feel free to moderate this thread and tidy the rubbish off it.

Not sure what exactly you want removing... as all comments are related to Pod... apart from some personal comments against me... feel free to report the posts you want removing

I can't Register on the corolla club either!!!

I think its too busy ... :P

Ricc I mite need to let u hav a go in my car and see wot time u can get :-D

Would be a pleasure. I wanna see how they fare with an LSD biggrin.gif

williams car = wub.gif

i drove it around 2 weeks ago, Loving the clutch set up and lsd, i didnt really get to work the car enough to see what the LSD did but my god i loved the clutch set up andi can see it performing well ;)

If im honest i reckon 14.2 by you is easily achievable....try for a 14 flat!! Its rapid seriously well get him to remove his rear seats but he may give us an excuse saying he has to go to the airport or shopping after LOL.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links