Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Low Fuel Warning Light

bsafirebird

Can anyone give me an idea of roughly what range is left in the tank when the low fuel warning light comes on on my 58 plate Gen II Prius, thanks.

On the Gen 3, its about 30 miles. There isn't a warning light as such, just an audible alert and the fuel gauge flashes.

On my gen3 the light starts flashing when the trip computer says 20 miles to go. However, I've run the trip down to 0 miles and then filled up and still had a gallon in the tank - so I would suggest you have between 50 and 80 miles left if you really want to push it

Can anyone give me an idea of roughly what range is left in the tank when the low fuel warning light comes on on my 58 plate Gen II Prius, thanks.

On a Gen 2, if you run out petrol do not be tempted to continue running on the HV Battery until it is exhausted, because you'll either damage the HV Battery requiring replacement or the HV Battery will have to be charged with a special HV charger!

On my gen3 the light starts flashing when the trip computer says 20 miles to go. However, I've run the trip down to 0 miles and then filled up and still had a gallon in the tank - so I would suggest you have between 50 and 80 miles left if you really want to push it

I reset the trip meter once the "miles to emtpy" gets to zero - then I know how far I've got left from the last gallon in the tank (about 50 miles in a Gen III)

Might be an idea to pop over to the gen2 section of Prius Chat to get a gen2 answer.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-2004-2009-toyota-prius-forums/

On the Gen 3, its about 30 miles. There isn't a warning light as such, just an audible alert and the fuel gauge flashes.

In the gen3 it's about 7 litres when the last bar starts flashing so how far you can go depends on your MPG.

At 50mpg you have about 70 miles max. YMMV

The gen3 tank is 45 litres and a lot of posters have reported that they can get around 38 litres into the tank if they fill up when the last bar starts flashing. I get the same.

See this for gen3 info (remember they are talking USA gallons)...

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-fuel-economy/77573-low-fuel-light.html

In my gen 2 I had the lights flash then travel 1 mile+ to petrol station and I fill 41 - 42 litres.

In my gen 2 I had the lights flash then travel 1 mile+ to petrol station and I fill 41 - 42 litres.

But the gen2 has a fuel bladder (which the gen3 doesn't) which messes things up.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-fuel-economy/76647-about-mpg-pips.html

Fortunately, we don't have the fuel bladder or the coolant thermos bottle in the UK on our Gen 2s.

Fortunately, we don't have the fuel bladder or the coolant thermos bottle in the UK on our Gen 2s.

You learn something everyday! :) :)

Many thanks for all your helpful replies, I got 450miles on a tank and filled up with 41 litres so I guess I had 4 litres left?

Many thanks for all your helpful replies, I got 450miles on a tank and filled up with 41 litres so I guess I had 4 litres left?

45 minus 41 equals 4 in my book!

45 minus 41 equals 4 in my book!

I am pretty sure you can't actually use all the fuel in the tank. So 4 litres left but probably only 2 or 3 usable?