Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis T180 Any Good?

adamtse

That's your oppinion Bry. Your in the minority.

If I ever take advice on car purchases I take advice from a collective of owners not just 1 person.

I look at the jd power survey which ranks toyota 4th for customer satisfaction and vauxhall is also 4th...... 4th last out of 29 with the fiat built engine as a brand dead last. So to me that says the majority haven't enjoyed the ownership experience for various reasons. Fact.

Your are the only t180 owner to condemn it whereas most if not all t180 owners here like their cars. That goes for auris, avensis and rav4 owners.

I have checked the said survey and it reads nothing like your quote? 83% against over 79% satisfaction, considering Vauxhall sell many many more??? More crap again.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bry

• adamtse

• OldSkoO1

• Pat2u

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the one I am looking at the moment

My link

and this one from my local toyota world

My link

please tell me what you think.

My advice would be, both cars are good examples. I myself like a bit of security. I would personally go with the one from a toyota garage as you should have more relevant after care support if anything goes wrong. That applies to ANY manufacturer. Buying a second hand car is expensive and your entering into the unknown so personally i like security, regardless of the car make / model.

I also looked at the tyres on the independent. They are goodyears and toyota don't supply these. This might sound a bit off the bat but if they are putting on different tyres i wonder how the car was looked after. Normally private owners always go back to toyota for various things. If the are going elsewhere are they trying to save money? But, it could be someone with a personal choice of tyre etc. I do feel 40k in 4 years is quite low for a diesel.

60k is getting on to be a decent mileage for a 4 year old car. This is a good thing imo which could indicate more motorway or dual carriageway miles which is a bit kinder on the car. Higher mileage m-way mile cars are sometimes excellent buys indeed!

Ultimately it is your choice and you should buy what feels best. Its good your trying different t180's, then you can guage how each of them drives. You will easily pick anything up if anything is wrong. It's a diesel afterall so expect some diesel clatter when cold and expect some clatter around 1,8k RPM when accelerating quite hard - its normal. But make sure the idle isn't too rough, check you don't notice any excess smoke in the rear view mirror (you will get white "steam" from cold which is just water vapour in the exhaust when cold). These are not serious issues, just a simple case of a clogged EGR which is to be expect after 3 or 4 years. And EGR clogging affects every modern diesel. Check over the document history for any signs of oil consumption issues. Even check the oil. If it is between the hatches on the dip stick and provided it isn't low, everything should be perfect. If there is no judder or "significant" vibrations through the clutch pedal your clutch and DMF should be in good nick too.

If none of these things are found you'll get an excellent car. Its the same checking with any car, not just a T180.

You should have seen the list of advice i gave to a friend wanting to buy an old ford focus diesel. :)

The important thing is, 40k and 60k are both full service intervals. Provided they have been serviced you will get a good buy. The 60k even more so because the 60k interval i believe includes the fairly expensive timing chain change.

Now time for the first formula one race of the season!!! Have a good day.

Timing chain change? who on earth changes timing chains?

Sounds like better to leave it standard then as the car is not reliable enough as it is. haha.

So why would you want one?

I have checked the said survey and it reads nothing like your quote? 83% against over 79% satisfaction, considering Vauxhall sell many many more???

the hint is that it's a % & both are taken from a statistically significant no. of replies so it shouldn't matter whether GM sold 10 x as many Vectras as Toyota did Avensis or not.

Actually Vauxhall probably sold fewer Vectras than Toyota did Avensis - of course Opel sold quite a few Vectras as well ;)

Sounds like better to leave it standard then as the car is not reliable enough as it is. haha.

So why would you want one?

On a non related note...Bry you are a tool!

Hi Scott (Heidfirst). Have I been scammed?

I've been trying to get in touch with you for a month after you sold me a faulty lens through a forum. I haven't been able to get hold of you by PM, phone, text, etc. Even the admin on the other forum are trying and so far you've ignored everything??

Can you please get in touch with me on the other forum as we really need to sort this out.

I have checked the said survey and it reads nothing like your quote? 83% against over 79% satisfaction, considering Vauxhall sell many many more???

the hint is that it's a % & both are taken from a statistically significant no. of replies so it shouldn't matter whether GM sold 10 x as many Vectras as Toyota did Avensis or not.

Actually Vauxhall probably sold fewer Vectras than Toyota did Avensis - of course Opel sold quite a few Vectras as well ;)

I've been trying to get in touch with you for a month after you sold me a faulty lens through a forum. I haven't been able to get hold of you by PM, phone, text, etc. Even the admin on the other forum are trying and so far you've ignored everything??

Can you please get in touch with me on the other forum as we really need to sort this out.

Ok GM Vectra,not Opel or Vauxhall, there's Australia too. I somehow doubt very much Toyota has sold more current/last model Avensis and certainly know where near as many in the JD power survey catchment, strange how 4 out of 5 people would rather buy a Vauxhall or Ford in the UK, was it oldskoo who needs to go by popular opinon? And the survey is based on warranty claims, I found Toyota very good at avoiding doing work under warranty claims, mine had approaching a dozen! My Vauxhall...nil... in more miles to date.

I wonder where Toyota is now with the surveys??? millions of warranty claims to go on the score!!! Glass houses again :yahoo:

Actually Vauxhall probably sold fewer Vectras than Toyota did Avensis - of course Opel sold quite a few Vectras as well wink.gif

Ok GM Vectra,not Opel or Vauxhall, there's Australia too. I somehow doubt very much Toyota has sold more current/last model Avensis and certainly know where near as many in the JD power survey catchment, strange how 4 out of 5 people would rather buy a Vauxhall or Ford in the UK, was it oldskoo who needs to go by popular opinon? And the survey is based on warranty claims, I found Toyota very good at avoiding doing work under warranty claims, mine had approaching a dozen! My Vauxhall...nil... in more miles to date.

I wonder where Toyota is now with the surveys??? millions of warranty claims to go on the score!!! Glass houses again yahoo.gif

Give it a rest bry, you are now becoming very very boring, and gone way off the subject.

it is getting a bit off topic. There's even a post looking for a member?! :blink:

Bry I am considering the Avensis because of many reasons. more good than bad. I understand all cars have their problems and you probably had a lemon and experienced the lot. I actually feel sorry for you.

Even company as reliable as honda have produced cars that just keeps failing and breaking down. Let's just hope mine wont be like that otherwise i'll be on this forum doing the same thing as you. haha.

now back on topic, can anyone answer the questions in my previous post?

1) 50k miles on T180 ok? I have never driven a diesel before but i have heard good things about how long these engines last. i always try to look for examples below the 50k mark and this is just on the dot.

2) what are the service intervals? every year or 10,000 miles?

3) Since the engine is so sophisticated, should I be put off if the service book includes services done by either themselves or by a local average-joe garage?

Is Honda known for reliability? My brother had a civic some years ago. He cursed it down to the darkest whole in earth

it is getting a bit off topic. There's even a post looking for a member?! :blink:

Bry I am considering the Avensis because of many reasons. more good than bad. I understand all cars have their problems and you probably had a lemon and experienced the lot. I actually feel sorry for you.

Even company as reliable as honda have produced cars that just keeps failing and breaking down. Let's just hope mine wont be like that otherwise i'll be on this forum doing the same thing as you. haha.

1) 50k miles on T180 ok? I have never driven a diesel before but i have heard good things about how long these engines last. i always try to look for examples below the 50k mark and this is just on the dot.

3) Since the engine is so sophisticated, should I be put off if the service book includes services done by either themselves or by a local average-joe garage?

1) Absolutely, there are quite a few high mile owners here >50k - The engine is easily good for 200k. You may need a couple of timing chain changes in 200k and possible new suspension by about 160k. Maybe the clutch and flywheel at 120k and some new glow plugs at some point. Possible a Battery as well as it gradually looses it charge. But these parts are relevant to any car over 100k or 8+ years.

2) 10k intervals - 40k is a full service, 50k is intermediate, 60k is a full service. On the full service they normally change some/all the filters and replace the fluids etc.

3) I believe it has to have a full toyota history for warranty but as thats past people can go elsewhere. Servicing is simple and its just about changing fluids and filters just like any other car, past or present. I would only be wary if they had it serviced at a non authorised toyota dealership in the first 3 years.

The engine itself isn't particularly complex. Its just using a high pressure fuel rail with electric injectors, a high pressure fuel pump, an EGR valve and a 5th injector in the exhaust. Its virtually the same set up as every other manufacturer. The parts maybe slightly different but it is the current / new breed of diesel engines that will find for years to come.

Have you managed to drive any t180's yet? What did you think?

Have you managed to drive any t180's yet? What did you think?

I probably live in the same sort of region as you as you mentioned brum and i had a look and i think these are good examples.

The one you found

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/200933339897245/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/10000/model/avensis/make/toyota/postcode/ws136qg/page/2/keywords/t180/radius/100?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201007352788700/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/10000/model/avensis/make/toyota/radius/100/keywords/t180/postcode/ws136qg/page/3?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201004350921013/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/10000/model/avensis/make/toyota/radius/100/keywords/t180/postcode/ws136qg/page/3?logcode=p

Although a car supermarket have a look at it's history, an estate might come in handy

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201005351506740/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/10000/model/avensis/make/toyota/radius/100/keywords/t180/postcode/ws136qg/page/3?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201011354638805/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/10000/model/avensis/make/toyota/radius/100/keywords/t180/postcode/ws136qg/page/3?logcode=p

This one is looking good - a little overpriced but i believe this toyota garage has 3 t180's for sale around the same price. I reckon they will be eager to shift them so they could give you a little discount! .... Ah, i might be wrong, i saw rrg on the company name but they are different locations. But possibly the same toyota group.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201003350596116/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/10000/model/avensis/make/toyota/radius/100/keywords/t180/postcode/ws136qg/page/3?logcode=p

I still havent had a chance yet unfortunately.

I took my mate's 2.0L out for a short spin and i sat in my other mate's T180 tourer (for his catering business). Both left me with a positive impression especially the build quality. This might sound sad but I particularly loved the 'thunk' sound from closing the door. :lol: I can certainly see how they used the Lexus 220D as benchmark, very similar indeed.

The grey example from your first link is the one i want to view. it looks like exceptional value for money compared to the ones from the dealer. I paid the Toyota dealer a quick visit today to see if they have any T180 to sell or test drive but they have nothing. They said it is very rare and they didn't sell many even when it was brand new. So i enquired about their extended warranty, 1 year is £550 and 2 years is £820. That sounds like a lot, or is that about right? :wacko: I am scared if i dont purchase this, if head gasket goes then i am screwed. :(

I took my mate's 2.0L out for a short spin and i sat in my other mate's T180 tourer (for his catering business). Both left me with a positive impression especially the build quality. This might sound sad but I particularly loved the 'thunk' sound from closing the door. :lol: I can certainly see how they used the Lexus 220D as benchmark, very similar indeed.

The grey example from your first link is the one i want to view. it looks like exceptional value for money compared to the ones from the dealer. I paid the Toyota dealer a quick visit today to see if they have any T180 to sell or test drive but they have nothing. They said it is very rare and they didn't sell many even when it was brand new. So i enquired about their extended warranty, 1 year is £550 and 2 years is £820. That sounds like a lot, or is that about right? :wacko: I am scared if i dont purchase this, if head gasket goes then i am screwed. :(

Hi mate,

just confirm at Toyota that there really is a free extended warranty on head gaskets, injectors and headlights then you may not need to take out extra warranty saving you loads of £££££££££££!

Regards Pete.

Warranty price is correct, we will definitely be buying one. Modern Diesels are not as reliable people think once they are out of warranty. The parts are cripplingly expensive should something in the fuel system or turbo etc fail, and they do. Then there is the diagnosis and labour...

I paid the Toyota dealer a quick visit today to see if they have any T180 to sell or test drive but they have nothing. They said it is very rare and they didn't sell many even when it was brand new.

Funny you should mention the above, i get regular emails asking me to call in at my dealership " RRG ROCHDALE " to let them have mine as they need it, however we don't wish to part with ours at the moment as i and my wife are very happy with it, i should add we normally changed our vehicles every year in fact i think i can say i have had most of the toyota range and found the dealership from sales to services very very good unlike other dealerships we have dealt with over the past 35 years and we did think of buying the latest avensis however after sitting in it in the showroom and finding out that the sat nay did not come as standard plus my wife was not happy with the new keyless start plus the extra cash required to own it, we need the space of a tourer so other than going back to a landcruiser LC3 we decided on keeping the T180 which we find a good all rounder.

Hi mate,

just confirm at Toyota that there really is a free extended warranty on head gaskets, injectors and headlights then you may not need to take out extra warranty saving you loads of £££££££££££!

Regards Pete.

i dont think they would give anything free without a fight and especially if i buy one privately, they will just turn around and say it hadnt been cared for properly causing the gasket or whatever to blow.

are there cases here where people get it fixed for free?

Hi mate,

Regards Pete.

i dont think they would give anything free without a fight and especially if i buy one privately, they will just turn around and say it hadnt been cared for properly causing the gasket or whatever to blow.

are there cases here where people get it fixed for free?

Yes people have had head gaskets replaced under extended warranties as it is a known problem but only affects a very small number of cars. Please clarify with your local dealership first though.

I'm more of a gambling man myself. I'm on 30k at the moment. I'm likely not to reach 65k before i part ex it for my next car which providing it isn't too expensive will be the toyota ft-86.

In balance i think it's more likely to be free from serious fault than it is to fail. If the injectors / insert expensive part here; do start to fail within 60k i would be extremely surprised. It certainly doesn't crop up on the forums here and elsewhere that i've seen, apart from isolated cases. As you have seen in the press recently, if toyota recognise a widespread fault, they do offer extended warranties within reason. They won't leave you in the dark unless it is an isolated problem.

I would rather save the £800 quid or £500 quid a year, put it in the savings account to gain interest and if something does happen, well i'm a gambling man, i'd pay out. Or negotiate a split payment or a part ex.

The Toyota reps on here will be pleased that I am dropping this, however, a brief:

1/ My car was not a lemon, it was a T180, it never broke down, it just underperformed and drank diesel and a lot of things just didn't work properly, I am fussy, just like my customers, I firmly believe they are all the same. Toyota gave me two others, both brand new to compare, mine was probably better than the others. It averaged 37mpg, the only car of dozens I have owned that didn't better official combined figures with my style of driving, including 3 since, it actually managed 20% less, quite unbelievable.

2/ I am trying to give you advice based on 46K of use and the benefit of my experience of most makes over millions of miles. don't you see that? I must confess to wondering if you are another Toyota rep on a marketing mission?

3/ I lost a fortune on this car, nobody wanted it, trade or private, I got £8500 for it 20 months old (paid just under 23K for it)and they (Evans Halshaw) put it up at £9995 in June 2008. It took them 3 months to sell it. It had the DAB (didn't work properly) radio, full bluetooth car kit (didn't work properly) as extras from new.

Good luck!

i do appreciate your posts, so thanks Bry. It's good to hear both positive and negative comments from different members otherwise i wouldnt know so much about the car. i have put in some serious thoughts into this and i think the advantages out-weigh the disadvantages. and there are just no other powerful jap diesel i can consider.

i wish i work for toyota, that way i could get a discount of some sort. haha.

these family cars depreciate massively, the same goes to my uncle's brand new BMW 3-series. it hurts seeing the value of your car drop like that. but i am now getting a 3-4 years old car so, sorry to say, the new owner had already taken the hit. My future £9k T180 will probably drop about £1k per year which is reasonable.

i do appreciate your posts, so thanks Bry. It's good to hear both positive and negative comments from different members otherwise i wouldnt know so much about the car. i have put in some serious thoughts into this and i think the advantages out-weigh the disadvantages. and there are just no other powerful jap diesel i can consider.

i wish i work for toyota, that way i could get a discount of some sort. haha.

these family cars depreciate massively, the same goes to my uncle's brand BMW. it hurts seeing the value of your car drop like that. but i am now getting a 3-4 years old car so, sorry to say, the new owner had already taken the hit. My future £9k T180 will probably drop about £1k per year which is reasonable.

My last!

Its not a perfomance car!

Its uneconomical!

£9K??? to get 37 mpg, to be just about capable to hang on to Mondeo's, Passats and Vectra 130/150HP diesels getting around 13 mpg more, open your eyes, there are much better cars out there.

dont worry my eyes are wide open. haha.

i have already considered those cars. i want something that's reliable, big, frugal and powerful (170bhp or more standard)and within my budget the T180 is the only option and perhaps the best option. Mondeo, passat and vectra are so common i'd rather get an accord but it only matches 2 of the 4 main criterias - reliable + frugal.

if there are better options i wont hesitate purchasing it.

The only reason i would even consider a Mondeo is that Ford has used a lot of technology from Mazda and Volvo. But thinking a little furter, if i want a Volvo or a Mazda i would do the most logical think and buy a Volvo or a Mazda. Opel is the bottom of german car industry and Vauxhall is just an Opel made in UK. The Passat is probebly a good car, but doubt it's better than the Avensis in the long run.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links