Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Leaky Rear Light

caveman_si

In the sun yesterday saw one of my rear lights had a wee bit of condensation. So I had a closer look and wish I hadnt as it Looks like a trip to MR T to see if this will be a warrenty replacement.

th_IMGP3341Medium.jpg

looks like the seal has failed.

good on toyota on replacing it.

Hi

Had the same problem on an 05 plate (out of warranty!). These rear units are not sealed at the back (bootside) - you can poke your finger in . The recent cold weather has resulted in water accumilating in the car from snow and rain from shoes when getting in the car. There was also a lot of condensation on the rear screen. The car is parked on an incline facing down which made it worse. Also the car is used for very short journeys so the aircon does not get much chance to dry the car out.

I opened the "hatch covers" in the boot to allow more air to circulate. One week later with the warmer weather - all the condensation is gone. This may or may not work for you of course.

Hope it helps

• 3 months later...

Just realised i forgot to follow this one up.

The light was replaced under warrenty, by the nice chaps at octagon Reading.

Ssid the water wasnt inside where the bulbs sit, it was between the outer piece of plastic and the inner coloured plastic. The bit where the bulbs sit was fine and dry.

Just realised i forgot to follow this one up.

The light was replaced under warrenty, by the nice chaps at octagon Reading.

Ssid the water wasnt inside where the bulbs sit, it was between the outer piece of plastic and the inner coloured plastic. The bit where the bulbs sit was fine and dry.

I had the same problem on my '05 (out of warranty), with the water collecting between the outer and inner plastic lenses. A tip which worked for me, as I wasn't going to spend a fortune replacing the assembly, I drilled two small (2mm dia) holes from the inside of the area shown in your picture so that the water drains - they are invisible and there is no more problem.

• 1 month later...

Just another update.

Had the same Light cluster replaced twice this year and now need to go back and get it changed for the 3rd time this year. Same problem water between the inner and out plastic.

Does anyone know if there is a quality issue with the rear light clusters or anything that would cause this issue for the T180 tourers. Bit of a pain now going back again for the same issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Just another update.

Had the same Light cluster replaced twice this year and now need to go back and get it changed for the 3rd time this year. Same problem water between the inner and out plastic.

Does anyone know if there is a quality issue with the rear light clusters or anything that would cause this issue for the T180 tourers. Bit of a pain now going back again for the same issue.

Had the same on my Tourer. In order to take the cluster off I took out the black plastic boot lining by unscrewing the bolts. I put my hand in and had about 2 inches of water sloshing around inside the wing! Take a look..

I washed the cluster out with warm soapy water, dried as mush as possible with a hair dryer and put back on the car with a bead of silicon sealant around the plastic part that touches the body. I then left the bulbs out for a few days and in their place put some silica gel pouches that come with computer equipment etc. Everything now ok and has been bone dry for a few months. The silica gel removed all trace of consensation ;-)

Just another update.

I have the same on my T180 Tourer!

• 3 weeks later...