Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Blue Tits In My Eaves

balli hi

:lol: here's something different ,

th_blue-tit21.jpg

I have a nest of these little blighters nesting in my eaves , just wondering if i could try to remove and relocate them to a bird box , their just under the eaves in the wall cavity which is full of polystyrene cavity wall insulation , they have removed a fair bit of the polystyrene balls which are now swirling round the garden in the wind , i have a feeling though that i'll have to wait until the chicks have hatched and flown the nest , is this correct ? i can't find any information on the UK wildlife Trust site .

Nesting

Blue Tits will nest in any hole in a tree, wall or nest box.

They are well known for nesting in more unusual places, such as letter boxes, pipes, etc.

The nest is a cup made by the female from moss, wool, dead leaves, spiders' webs, and lined with down.

Their clutch size is the largest among nidicolous species, laying typically 10 to 12 eggs.

The eggs are laid at such a time that green caterpillars will be abundant when the chicks hatch.

Second clutches are rare.

The eggs are smooth and glossy, and white with purplish-red or reddish-brown spots.

They are about 16 mm by 12 mm.

The female incubates the eggs by herself. After the young hatch, they are fed by both parents.

I would wait as there is not a lot of meat on a Blue Tit biggrin.gif

definatly wait, they wont relocate that easily.

Also when you move the old nest make sure you wash afterwards, you'll be covered in mites afterwards.

I have them in my eaves too, they poop on the car grrrr

definatly wait, they wont relocate that easily.

Also when you move the old nest make sure you wash afterwards, you'll be covered in mites afterwards.

I have them in my eaves too, they !Removed! on the car grrrr

Thanks for the Info steve :thumbsup:

Nesting

Blue !Removed! will nest in any hole in a tree, wall or nest box.

They are well known for nesting in more unusual places, such as letter boxes, pipes, etc.

The nest is a cup made by the female from moss, wool, dead leaves, spiders' webs, and lined with down.

Their clutch size is the largest among nidicolous species, laying typically 10 to 12 eggs.

The eggs are laid at such a time that green caterpillars will be abundant when the chicks hatch.

Second clutches are rare.

The eggs are smooth and glossy, and white with purplish-red or reddish-brown spots.

They are about 16 mm by 12 mm.

The female incubates the eggs by herself. After the young hatch, they are fed by both parents.

I would wait as there is not a lot of meat on a Blue Tit biggrin.gif

:lol:

A man is hauled up before a court of law for the crime of killing a protected bird. "Why did you eat the Golden Oriole?" asked the judge? "Well, its like this" said the bedraggled looking defendant, "I lost my job six months ago, my wife ran off with another man and my children have disowned me. Ive been too depressed to work, so when I saw this bird I just acted on reflex. I didn't know it was a rare bird!" "Well," said the judge, "I'll take pity on you and spare you this time if you will tell me just one thing: what did it taste like?" "Actually", replied the man, "it tasted just like a Dartford Warbler" - blame Irvin Allen...

Nesting birds are protected by law under the wildlife and countryside act 1981. You cannot disturb them or block their nest, punishable by fine and/or prison.

All birds, their nests and eggs are protected by law and it is thus an offence, with certain exceptions (see Exceptions), to:

intentionally kill, injure or take any wild bird

intentionally take, damage or destroy the nest of any wild bird whilst it is in use or being built

intentionally take or destroy the egg of any wild bird

have in one's possession or control any wild bird, dead or alive, or any part of a wild bird, which has been taken in contravention of the Act or the Protection of Birds Act 1954

have in one's possession or control any egg or part of an egg which has been taken in contravention of the Act or the Protection of Birds Act 1954

use traps or similar items to kill, injure or take wild birds

have in one's possession or control any bird of a species occurring on Schedule 4 of the Act unless registered, and in most cases ringed, in accordance with the Secretary of State's regulations (see Schedules)

intentionally or recklessly disturb any wild bird listed on Schedule 1 while it is nest building, or at a nest containing eggs or young, or disturb the dependent young of such a bird.

The maximum penalty that can be imposed for an offence under the Wildlife and Countryside Act - in respect of a single bird, nest or egg - is a fine of up to £5,000, and/or six months' imprisonment.

Click

Click

I was waiting for someone to say "Get the Blue Tits a Bra & they'll be ok "

I'll just have to say it myself :thumbsup:

Sorry , Balli, Mate.........I couldn't resist it :rolleyes:

I was waiting for someone to say "Get the Blue Tits a Bra & they'll be ok "

I'll just have to say it myself thumbsup.gif

Sorry , Balli, Mate.........I couldn't resist it rolleyes.gif

Up to the edge then just that little bit further....

I like your style yahoo.gif

They won’t do any harm to your house, they are very clean, and that video is excellent as you can see how clean and tidy the nest is.

The parents will remove any poo and waste in a small sack. If you tamper with the nest the parents will abandon the chicks and they will starve and die.

I would recommend that you enjoy your temporary visitors and when they have all fledged, put a blue tit box up for next year so they don’t invade you’re your eaves.

I wish they would nest near me! I’m feeding the sparrows at the moment and I’m getting through fat balls like there’s no tomorrow. It’s a busy time of year for our birds, they will eat more now than in the winter.

:thumbsup:

I was waiting for someone to say "Get the Blue !Removed! a Bra & they'll be ok "

I'll just have to say it myself :thumbsup:

Sorry , Balli, Mate.........I couldn't resist it :rolleyes:

:lol: No worries Vic