Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Drinking Oil

Brimmers

hello new to this have got an mr2 roadster 2001 reg and it is drinking stupid ammounts of oil. i thought id may have been the head gasket got someone to have a look an they said it wasnt so i thought id come on here and see if anyone else had an idea.

Hi and welcome to the club.....I wish it were under better circumstances :(

Firstly you might be told about ""Pre-cat failure"

While this is one of the symptoms of engine failure it isn't the main cause, early piston design (up to 2002) had problems with gumming up causing bore wear (Oval bore syndrome)as a consequence the pre-cat material also begins to break down and this ends up blocking the main cat, all in all, it would appear your engine is fubared, not something you want to hear I know but that's the bottom line.

You can get a compression test done to confirm worn bores and remove your O2 sensors from the manifold to check for the ceramic pre-cat material breaking up but at the end of the day it doesn't look good.

You can check out the two topics at the top of the page regarding "Pre-cats" and "Hints & Tips" for further information

Les

thanks looks like im gonna be spending out more money than i thought u no of people who have had this problem and how much its cost i expect over a grand.

At least unfortunately :(

I'm sure second hand engines are available but you know that these can be a risk unless supplied by a reputable seller, rebuilding is an option but unless done properly without cutting corners this can also be costly.

Also with the heavy oil consumption it is more than likely that your main cat is dead and will need replacing.

iv just been looking arround and had a quote of &995 supply and fit for a recon engine from japengines have you ever hear of them or any work they have done. just trying to get some prices in my head as im away abroad for a while.

Not heard of them, but looking at the site they give a 6 mont warranty on re-con engines, as long as they are reputable and they use the updated pistons you should be ok, as I said, make sure your main cat is ok and as the pre-cat will probably be toast it won't hurt to gut it as you can run without it any way, or do as I did and get a Che header (manifold)

• 3 weeks later...

just to let u know the cars in the garage and 1500 quid later and it will be sorted. it was the pistons not the pre cat but got a che header anyway to get rid of that problem. thanks for the advice.

Ouch! :shutit:

Still, I'm glad you have persevered and hope you have it back on the road to enjoy the sunny weather............we might have this year :rolleyes:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links