Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Black Smoke And No Speed For Avensis D4D 04Reg

Darius28

Hello everyone, i ma pretty new to this forum and to diesel cars, so please be gentle with me :rolleyes: . I have got 2004 Avensis D4D, 75k miles on the clock, and bought it just couple weeks ago. Its my first diesel car, and bought for commuting mainly. This morning was going to work and pressed the accelerator but nothing happened, the wasn't picking up the speed it was just slowing down. and when i looked through wing mirrors noticed black smoke from the exhaust. So what did i do, bit of panicked, pulled over and turned the engine off. checked oil levels etc but nothing, everything seemed fine. Turned the engine on again, pressed the accelerator to see whether any black smoke, was nothing. started driving, had to get to work though, everything fine, was working as usual. So took to my local garage, asked them they said its too new for them so i am better off taking to the Toyota garage. I have got warranty for 3 months for this car so i will be ringing them and trying to sort everything out while the warranty is. So guys any clues what might be wrong? it seemed temporary glitch but you never know. thank. Darius

Hello everyone, i ma pretty new to this forum and to diesel cars, so please be gentle with me :rolleyes: . I have got 2004 Avensis D4D, 75k miles on the clock, and bought it just couple weeks ago. Its my first diesel car, and bought for commuting mainly. This morning was going to work and pressed the accelerator but nothing happened, the wasn't picking up the speed it was just slowing down. and when i looked through wing mirrors noticed black smoke from the exhaust. So what did i do, bit of panicked, pulled over and turned the engine off. checked oil levels etc but nothing, everything seemed fine. Turned the engine on again, pressed the accelerator to see whether any black smoke, was nothing. started driving, had to get to work though, everything fine, was working as usual. So took to my local garage, asked them they said its too new for them so i am better off taking to the Toyota garage. I have got warranty for 3 months for this car so i will be ringing them and trying to sort everything out while the warranty is. So guys any clues what might be wrong? it seemed temporary glitch but you never know. thank. Darius

hi Darius

Welcome to the club !!!

Do not be in panic -- just relax.

OK let's talk step by step -- have you had a service history??? As the 2nd owner yoou had to be guided with all that might be wrong before purchasing it. OK no problem - we're here to help you be afloat. The pssible reasons are listed below:

- suction air filter element clogging;

- SCVs playinh up;

- EGR valve failure (both mechanical and electrical side);

- turbo vanes sticking;

- fuel filter clogging;

- injectors failure.

Start to investigate what is yours and come back shortly with outcoome.

Good luck/Igor

hi Darius

Welcome to the club !!!

OK let's talk step by step -- have you had a service history??? As the 2nd owner yoou had to be guided with all that might be wrong before purchasing it. OK no problem - we're here to help you be afloat. The pssible reasons are listed below:

- SCVs playinh up;

- turbo vanes sticking;

- fuel filter clogging;

- injectors failure.

Good luck/Igor

Hi Igor,

It has got full service history. was serviced very recently, the cambelt was changed as well. At the dealer where i bought the car, they didn't say anything what might be wrong with this car. and when i did a test drive, and up till now everything seemed fine. I drove about 600 miles already since i bought it. So is worth it for me to get in touch with the warranty people and get this car checked out, because i am concerned that it might happen again and again. Thanks

hi Darius

Welcome to the club !!!

- SCVs playinh up;

- turbo vanes sticking;

- fuel filter clogging;

- injectors failure.

Good luck/Igor

Hi Igor,

It has got full service history. was serviced very recently, the cambelt was changed as well. At the dealer where i bought the car, they didn't say anything what might be wrong with this car. and when i did a test drive, and up till now everything seemed fine. I drove about 600 miles already since i bought it. So is worth it for me to get in touch with the warranty people and get this car checked out, because i am concerned that it might happen again and again. Thanks

OK you're on the right way, then + chase them up to rectify for their account !!!

Good Luck

Igor

hi Darius

Welcome to the club !!!

- SCVs playinh up;

- turbo vanes sticking;

- fuel filter clogging;

- injectors failure.

Good luck/Igor

Hi Igor,

OK you're on the right way, then + chase them up to rectify for their account !!!

Good Luck

Igor

My car is going for diagnostics on Friday at Toyota garage, will see what they have to say.

Darius

I thought i will update with news. went to the Toyota dealer for diagnostic, and been told that turbo is going, also egr valve is bunged up, also the clutch stiff and noisy and also even i haven't noticed that there is smth wrong with the breaks, steering shakes when breaking. so i will be calling to the garage where i bought this car and asking to sort those problems, as not paying for it myself, as its just second week when i got it. :( quite disappointed, but still like Avensis, great car to drive of course if its faultless.

Darius

I thought i will update with news. went to the Toyota dealer for diagnostic, and been told that turbo is going, also egr valve is bunged up, also the clutch stiff and noisy and also even i haven't noticed that there is smth wrong with the breaks, steering shakes when breaking. so i will be calling to the garage where i bought this car and asking to sort those problems, as not paying for it myself, as its just second week when i got it. :( quite disappointed, but still like Avensis, great car to drive of course if its faultless.

Darius

ok,

Your turbo error codes would be to do with a stepper sensor

your EGR valve could be causing generic errors on the ecu.

Your brakes maybe ok - but highlighted for surface rust.

the Alignment / Wheel balancing causes steering shake.

Darius

ok,

I took my car back to the seller to get it repaired, they have given courtesy car, a 20 year old banger Toyota Camry. its unbelievable, but at least it will get me where i need. its like driving an antique, runs well but drinks loads of petrol as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Darius

ok,

I took my car back to the seller to get it repaired, they have given courtesy car, a 20 year old banger Toyota Camry. its unbelievable, but at least it will get me where i need. its like driving an antique, runs well but drinks loads of petrol as well.

Update: Finally i have got my car back :yahoo: they said that they have put on diagnostics, but no errors was showing up, so they checked turbo, it looked fine, no leaks, nothing. So they have looked at egr valve and it was blocked. So hopefully everything should be fine, just the question just for how long? It goes now like a dream. :rolleyes:

Update: Finally i have got my car back :yahoo: they said that they have put on diagnostics, but no errors was showing up, so they checked turbo, it looked fine, no leaks, nothing. So they have looked at egr valve and it was blocked. So hopefully everything should be fine, just the question just for how long? It goes now like a dream. :rolleyes:

it had to be done on March 16 :)

Good luck/Igor

Good luck/Igor

:lol: i know Igor, i cant believe it took them a week to sort it out, dont know what they really were trying to do. Thanks

Good luck/Igor

:lol: i know Igor, i cant believe it took them a week to sort it out, dont know what they really were trying to do. Thanks

next time (if any) you have to be armed with all possible ways to fight with them.

believe me - this helps to accelerate curing + prevent to have a big list of jobs for payment etc etc.

Have a good drive/Igor

Good luck/Igor

next time (if any) you have to be armed with all possible ways to fight with them.

believe me - this helps to accelerate curing + prevent to have a big list of jobs for payment etc etc.

Have a good drive/Igor

If something happens again it will be short talk then. I simply return the car and claim my money back. As this car is on finance then credit agency will have to get involved, simple as that. Thanks

I have noticed black smoke coming out sometimes when i get bit harder on the throttle, i.e. start moving or picking the speed in first few gears. then i can see some smoke. is it something to worry about, or is it normal. as i said never had diesel before so everything new for me :rolleyes: thanks

I have noticed black smoke coming out sometimes when i get bit harder on the throttle, i.e. start moving or picking the speed in first few gears. then i can see some smoke. is it something to worry about, or is it normal. as i said never had diesel before so everything new for me :rolleyes: thanks

ok you ve got turbo with auto vanes = so in case you still view an either smoke - this is first signal of the following:

- turbo vanes sticking due to carbon due to bad injection;

- engine air filter is about to die;

- fuel filter clogging

I most inclined to the first one that demands to have turbo serviced.

Cheers/Igor

Thanks Igor. Been driving now about 500 miles, smoke has disappeared, or i cant see anything now. Everything seems fine, (touch the wood). It might be thick question, but what signs can appear when turbo stops working? Any significant ones? Cheers

Darius

Thanks Igor. Been driving now about 500 miles, smoke has disappeared, or i cant see anything now. Everything seems fine, (touch the wood). It might be thick question, but what signs can appear when turbo stops working? Any significant ones? Cheers

Darius

Darius

the first signal is lack of power and the engine is not respond to your gas pedal during accelerating.

another words -- a vacuum actuator is linked to each vane by means of a circle frame that rotates ech vane arround its axis -- the more vacuum the more retation angle. now you understand what is going on if these axis pins got sticked bu carbon. the less flexibility the less power. cheers/Igor

Darius

Darius

the first signal is lack of power and the engine is not respond to your gas pedal during accelerating.

another words -- a vacuum actuator is linked to each vane by means of a circle frame that rotates ech vane arround its axis -- the more vacuum the more retation angle. now you understand what is going on if these axis pins got sticked bu carbon. the less flexibility the less power. cheers/Igor

And the distinguish whistling sound disappears

Just to let you know. I had same problems with no power and black smoke about 18 months ago. Got the egr valve cleaned and she is driving no problems ever since. Avensis 2003 with 60,000 miles, she now has 83,000miles with no probs, happy driving :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::toast:

Just to let you know. I had same problems with no power and black smoke about 18 months ago. Got the egr valve cleaned and she is driving no problems ever since. Avensis 2003 with 60,000 miles, she now has 83,000miles with no probs, happy driving :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::toast:

hi mate

the same issue (stated by the author first post)has to be investigated from all the sides. your case is a part of the problems chain.

cheers/Igor

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links