Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Locking Nuts

Indica

Hi all, I need help.

I'm trying to aquire a new lock nut socket to suit my locking wheel nuts on my Rav4. I left the socket attached to the wheel and decided to go for a drive, doh.... Now I have a set of wheels I cant get of the car.

I have phoned Toyota, to which they said that I need a 3 digit code for the correct socket. Trouble is I dont have the number all I have is the product code for the set of nuts that on the car.

00090-03013-B

Is there a way to match the numbers up?

Any input would be appreciated. I have been quoted £56 + vat for removing the nuts from the Toyota dealer (thats each wheel folks!!), which makes me think that was there goal all the time.

See attached photo of lock nut I require the socket for

post-84283-126873326188_thumb.jpg

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi all, I need help.

I'm trying to aquire a new lock nut socket to suit my locking wheel nuts on my Rav4. I left the socket attached to the wheel and decided to go for a drive, doh.... Now I have a set of wheels I cant get of the car.

I have phoned Toyota, to which they said that I need a 3 digit code for the correct socket. Trouble is I dont have the number all I have is the product code for the set of nuts that on the car.

00090-03013-B

Is there a way to match the numbers up?

Any input would be appreciated. I have been quoted £56 + vat for removing the nuts from the Toyota dealer (thats each wheel folks!!), which makes me think that was there goal all the time.

See attached photo of lock nut I require the socket for

post-84283-126873326188_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Hi Indica

My local independent tyre fitter tells me when anyone comes to him with this problem he sends them to a small nearby garage and they remove the security nut.

Sorry I did not ask him how they did it as he was busy.

May be worth asking near where you live.

Be that as it may I am sure the more learned members of this forum will more knowledgeable re a solution

Good luck

crofter

In the little box that the spare locking wheel bits came in there is a slip of paper/card with a 4 digit code on it for my 4.2

I've replied to your thread in Generals.. but as said above, if you have the little card that comes in the box then take it to the dealer, they can order a new key for it.

If you get stuck Halfords (and I imagine many other reputable vendors) do a locking nut removal tool which basically screws onto the nut shearing into it so you can then remove it stuck to the tool. You need a bench vice to remove the nut from the tool so you can reuse the tool. The nut is damaged and looks a bit naff afterwards but it gets it off and you can then buy a new set or see if anyone on eBay has an old set going cheap. More risky is to use a socket wrench that is about 2mm smaller than than the standard nut size and hammer it onto the locking nut really tight so it fuses with the nut and then remove it. It is pretty much impossible to get them apart afterwards so you lose both nut and socket but you can get 4 sockets for about £10. This method also runs a slight risk of damaging the thread on your wheels especically if the nuts aren't tight.

I did this a few years ago on my old car after losing the locking nut and being quoted £80 to remove the nuts and put a new set on, I just left standard nuts on afterwards as it was obvious that any determined thief can remove your locking nuts quite easily if they want to, although locking nuts will still deter unprepared opportunists, although not many opportunists will be seen scurrying down the road concealing four 17 inch alloys under their jumpers.

......a locking nut removal tool which basically screws onto the nut shearing into it so you can then remove it stuck to the tool.

. More risky is to use a socket wrench that is about 2mm smaller than than the standard nut size and hammer it onto the locking nut really tight so it fuses with the nut and then remove it. It is pretty much impossible to get them apart afterwards so you lose both nut and socket but you can get 4 sockets for about £10. This method also runs a slight risk of damaging the thread on your wheels......

.... I just left standard nuts on afterwards as it was obvious that any determined thief can remove your locking nuts quite easily if they want to....

Locking nut removal tool.. looks like you are talking about an easy-out, it has a left handed thread, you drill into the locking nut untill it eventually goes tight and starts loosening the nut. If the locking nut in question is hardened steel (which I'm sure tri-locks are NOT) then this method is very very difficult.

Can get them apart easily enough.. bench vice, hammer, punch.. out it comes with a good old fashioned whack or two.

In 20 years as a tyre fitter I haven't, nor have I seen any of my colleagues damage the threads on the stud when hammering a socket over a locking nut to remove it, I'm not saying it can't happen.. but it must be a rare occurrence.

It's all fine and well to replace the locking nut with a standard nut, it will still hold the wheel on (obviously), also... as said.. locking nuts will only deter the oppertunistic theif, if anyone really wants your wheels they will simply use the quicker method of stealing youir car, drive to somewhere they can make as much noise as they want to remove the locking nuts.... but, not replacing the locking nut with another locking nut can void your insurance, if the car comes standard with locking nuts your insurer can void your policy and refuse to pay out if you have a theft, so check with and get written approval from your insurer before replacing them with standard nuts.

with that picture you could make a tool

put blu tack over the locking nut to get a imprint

use marker and colour the top of the dimples on the blu tack

get some hex steel from steel shop prob 3-4 cm long use the blu tack to transfer where you need to drill

dril holes right size and put some steel rod in or steel bolt

use socket or spanner on other end of hex steel and undo nut.

with that picture you could make a tool

put blu tack over the locking nut to get a imprint

use marker and colour the top of the dimples on the blu tack

get some hex steel from steel shop prob 3-4 cm long use the blu tack to transfer where you need to drill

dril holes right size and put some steel rod in or steel bolt

use socket or spanner on other end of hex steel and undo nut.

A centre punch + hammer will remove them albeit very slowly, just put point of centre punch into edge of nut face then tap with hammer till nut is loose, then use pointy nose pliers in 2 of holes to remove quickly. I've used the ctre punch method to remove stripped allen bolts..Good Luck Stew

Oh if only the power of the inventive minds of the forumites? could be harnessed.

But maybe that is what this site does.

Re cfc1's mention of possible voidance on insurance, Im suprised they dont try, YOU left the key in the car so YOU invited the loss of same, to YOU left the wheel nut key in the car so YOU invited the loss of your wheels .

Insurance companies please ignore

:nono::nono::nono::nono:

Oh if only the power of the inventive minds of the forumites? could be harnessed.

But maybe that is what this site does.

Re cfc1's mention of possible voidance on insurance, Im suprised they dont try, YOU left the key in the car so YOU invited the loss of same, to YOU left the wheel nut key in the car so YOU invited the loss of your wheels .

Insurance companies please ignore

:nono::nono::nono::nono:

We've had this problem at work a couple of times. I just weld a steel bar across the head of the nut,the heat from the weld eases the nut and the bar is a lever to undo the nut.If the nut is below the surface of the wheel I weld a short bolt on and use a spanner on it.

John.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links