Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Improve Performance Without The Sound...

talboy

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum and new to toyotas also, I am on the verge of buying a 54 plate corolla t sport... took it for a test drive last weekend and was blown away by the feeling of lift....

However i did notice that unless you are booting it you never really get the feeling of it being a fast car... eg the way you do in a higher torque car...

What i plan to do is to add a few minor performance adjustments to help with lower end pick up but i want to do this without the loud exhaust note or the growling induction kits...

are there any mods that will give the same perf effect as a induction kit/spiort exhaust without the ridiculously loud sound?

Also as a final note my older brother is also buying a new car we were both lookin at a bmw 325 but i opted for the lower insurance of the cts and he is going for the bmw 325/330 do you think that the cts will be able to keep up with him in a straight line dash?

Thanks in advance...

Youll murder a 325 without a problem. A 330 is on par, if its a coupe manual he may be a tiny bit quicker, if its an auto you win, if its a convertible youll win. lol

Loud is the only way im afraid.......maybe cams but then youll have a noisy engine...There will be noise regardless

a power fc remap would give you good gains with no increase in sound tho lol, or even a map with a camcon.

Youll murder a 325 without a problem. A 330 is on par, if its a coupe manual he may be a tiny bit quicker, if its an auto you win, if its a convertible youll win. lol

Loud is the only way im afraid.......maybe cams but then youll have a noisy engine...There will be noise regardless

a power fc remap would give you good gains with no increase in sound tho lol, or even a map with a camcon.

I find it very hard to believe that it would beat a 325 easily as the 325 has a v6 so will pull through all gears but i certainly hope it does come out as quicker!!! When i test drove the cts i was really timid about revving to 8k rpm even though the dealer had told me to leave it in 2nd all the way...

the noise was insane, and i honestly felt like i was going to blow the engine until it all of a sudden just picked up accelaration at 6200rpm and then the noise got worse and i almost wee'd myself... iv driven fast cars before but non which rev so high and non which look so deceptive like the cts!!

I am quite looking forward to getting it... And im even more looking forward to pipping up against my brother whichever bm he goes for i recon it will be close and even if he wins it defo wonty be anywhere near the amopunt that you would expect....

SHame about the performance mods all causing a noise, id rather stay annonamous when i drive and especially when your pulling up against a saxo or corsa which makes a noise like a tank...

£1200 would get you a decent and quiet Ntrous Oxide system on it. you could see on tap gains of 50 - 75bhp at the touch of a button... then see the 330 keep up lolz

in lift that would be delivering around 250 - 260bhp...

Joel

£1200 would get you a decent and quiet Ntrous Oxide system on it. you could see on tap gains of 50 - 75bhp at the touch of a button... then see the 330 keep up lolz

in lift that would be delivering around 250 - 260bhp...

Joel

WOuld be nice, but 1200 is a fair amount, not to mention that it would wreck the car without uprated everything else im guessing... not to mention id end up in a ditch!

Seriously though 325 vs cts i thought that would be close but 325 for the win...

CTS will beat a 325, FACT!

ive beaten a 330 also, probably due to the fact that i do actually know how to drive a car, and whoever was driving the 330 could not handle roundabouts very well.

close member of my family owns a 325, no comparison your in 330 territory with a CTS.

the v6 pulls through gear but your gearing on the t-sport is set to stay in the power band.

the 325 e46 makes 192bhp loses more through the wheels, produces more torque yes but weighs in the sub 1400 odd kg. Probably just shy of 1500kg, we weigh around 1210kg....big difference.

ive beaten a 330 also, probably due to the fact that i do actually know how to drive a car, and whoever was driving the 330 could not handle roundabouts very well.

id be mightily impressed if it beat the 325 like you guys say, iv sat as passenger in a 325 and it felt fast... that said i think mostvcars feel faster when your not driving them....

I guess ill get some practice at satying in lift before we have a bmw v toyota show down!!

The one im getting is a 55 plate black facelift all in stock with 50k miles on it and full toyota service with 5 stamps from toyota... I can get it for abnout 6500, does that seem good? its from a toyota dealer and comes with year warranty and year rac too....

Car is in showroom condition with new tyres and new front brake disks and pads...

id be mightily impressed if it beat the 325 like you guys say, iv sat as passenger in a 325 and it felt fast... that said i think mostvcars feel faster when your not driving them....

I guess ill get some practice at satying in lift before we have a bmw v toyota show down!!

The one im getting is a 55 plate black facelift all in stock with 50k miles on it and full toyota service with 5 stamps from toyota... I can get it for abnout 6500, does that seem good? its from a toyota dealer and comes with year warranty and year rac too....

Car is in showroom condition with new tyres and new front brake disks and pads...

That sounds like a very well looked after car, did you manage to knock some money off? I got 500quid off the car i bought from Toyota. Where are you getting it from and i'l have a look on the toyota website.

I've wiped the smiles of many a Beamer owning ******* Face!

The 325 only feels faster because of the way it delivers its torque.

Wait untill you get into lift throughout the gears, the cts pulls and pulls throughout the gears. Its not a torquey motor, and it has to be driven hard to get it to move.

If your running light and possibly semi-stripped like me, you will definatley beat a 330.

Just FYI - Latest visit to Santapod. We were running 15.1's, 15.2's and even some high 14's. There was a 528 there only running 15.6's ;)

I've had no problems with any 3 or 5 series up to the specs of 30's. Then it's on par or even quicker as mentioned.

I however did get beaten by a TVR Tuscan ;) hahahaha

i raced my mate Audi A5 3.7 V6 diseal which is 190 ps, but with 400Nm torque , my cts can keep up with him on flat room, however, he got 5 people sitting in his car...

That sounds like a very well looked after car, did you manage to knock some money off? I got 500quid off the car i bought from Toyota. Where are you getting it from and i'l have a look on the toyota website.

I've wiped the smiles of many a Beamer owning ******* Face!

My one is 7000 pounds, 38000miles, with " :toast: sat map", include 1 year warranty and RAC cover and 1 year MOT, Half year tax!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

showroom condition

so glad i hv got a sat map version one!!!

took my sat nav/map kit out for now. just weight, plus got a track day next thursday, and then coombe end of april if i order my coilovers in time.

my next step was to say,

if you really want to improve performance without sound, is a decent full suspension set up, properly corner weighted. and a decent brake upgrade. if your budget wont stretch to a 4 or even a 2pot conversion then a set of high spec pad/disc combo would sort you out. uprated anti-rollbars and strut braces all round, uprated engine mounts and suspension bushes. and extremely good tyres. jobs a good-un.

you dont ened to gof or exhaust-induction etc to get better performance. i will always go for handling-braking over power anyday.

the cts has enough to keep its own amongst the majority of hot hatches out there. it suffers greatly in the handling and braking areas.

i mean, at the end of the day its a highly stressed 1.8 which produces almost 190bhp at stock.

I'd be surprised if my CTS 'murdered' a 325 tbh. Maybe in a straight spring, but only just surely, if it all? 325 is 0-60 in 7.1 yeah, nobody knows the real CTS time but i can't see it being sub 7. Ofcourse if the 325 is an auto then you'll destroy it :P. I wouldn't fancy my chances in a 30-100 run though.

The CTS IS Sub 7 seconds if done correctly.

If a 325 is 7.1 and only runs high 15's, then surely the CTS is quicker 0-60 if it's running low 15's? :P

Friend of mine has a 530i and only ran low 16's. They're just too heavy! Granted his is a 1994 model! lol.

The CTS IS Sub 7 seconds if done correctly.

If a 325 is 7.1 and only runs high 15's, then surely the CTS is quicker 0-60 if it's running low 15's? :P

Friend of mine has a 530i and only ran low 16's. They're just too heavy! Granted his is a 1994 model! lol.

Fair enough. I need to figure out a way of timing myself, I've mastered staying in lift 1st-2nd now so should be pretty quick.

I'm only going by the figures I've witnessed myself btw. :)

I'd be surprised if my CTS 'murdered' a 325 tbh. Maybe in a straight spring, but only just surely, if it all? 325 is 0-60 in 7.1 yeah, nobody knows the real CTS time but i can't see it being sub 7. Ofcourse if the 325 is an auto then you'll destroy it :P. I wouldn't fancy my chances in a 30-100 run though.

This was my thinking also, seems unlikely to be that much quicker than a 325.. either way i hope it is and from the speeds you guys are talking about at the santa pod thing are pretty fast...

I only ended up thinking about a cts after going to view a focus st 220 at a used dealer but he had a corolla tsport next to it which was a lot cheaper so i went home and did a bit of research to find that it was a pretty fast car with low ins and cheap to buy too...

My options were

rx8

350z

Focus ST

bmw 325/330

all the above were at the very border of my budget to buy and were a little over my budget on insurance so i decieded to go with the cts and i think i have made a decent choice now i have a few extra notes to save up for the next car in 2 years so hopefully my insurance will drop enough for me to buy something even quicker....

I honestly believe the cts is the best value/performance car at that price point of 6-7k... i cant think of anything else which is equally as quick or decent to actually own...

I'm pretty sure race tracks don't have roundabouts... :rolleyes:

Everybody note... any more talk of racing on public roads and this thread is toast and members can expect a warning....

warn me if you like, but can you honestly sit there and say you have never ever played on a public road. fair enough, i probably should have configured my wording a little bit better, but a warning is a bit ott do you not think, and so is closing a thread.

wow, theres a bit of arrogance being thrown around in here this arvo!

i love my trackdays and drag racing, but turning a public road into such? nah, not for me thanks. ill pay my monies and have myself a nice controlled environment.

as for the BMW straight line race. ill murder a 325 or 330. im not fussed. ;) hahaha.

I SAFELY ran a 75hp nitrous oxide setup on my cts and know a few who run same on thecelica tsport with no problems at all. Cost about £1k and fitted myself. When in use made the exhaust note a little deeper than stock but not really any louder. Aftermarket exhaust and it was a different story!

My kit was a wizards of NOS streetblaster 150i wet setup with bottle heater and progressive controller. Straight line speed was insane and caught quite a few cars out includig a focus rs at teeside autodrome :-)

no idea what figures it ran, 1/4 mile was in 13s or so according to gtech device. Never got to official drag strip hence no timeslip.

Of course there was the insurance, at 75hp Adrian flux charged me about 20% more annually which I didn't think was too bad, was almost £1 per up gain. Point here is toucan insure it for street use :-)

oh as for v6 agains cts, I sold my cts 3 weeks ago and now have a Hyundai coupe 2.7 v6 which on paper at least is about same performance as cts but it FEELS so much faster, 245nm torque at 4k helps! So far not missing lift either as I'm finding the low down power much more to my preference. A lot more usable daily too.

I'm happy to answer any questions regarding nitrous oxide having been involved with it for a number of years now. I'm no expert but have a reasonable understanding :-)

warn me if you like, but can you honestly sit there and say you have never ever played on a public road. fair enough, i probably should have configured my wording a little bit better, but a warning is a bit ott do you not think, and so is closing a thread.

The reminder was aimed at everybody not just you...

One slight mention of racing on public roads usually releases a wave of similar ones...

Hence the gentle reminder of TOC rules ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links