Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

3.0Ltr Gen2 Hilux Surf

Robsons

Hi guys -

A huge change from my last car (Honda Civic Type R EP3), but a change in circumstances has led me to looking into a 4x4. Originally I was looking at Defenders, but after speaking to quite a few people, I have altered the search and settled with the surf.

I am focusing on the gen 2 3.0ltr model - hopefully an ssr-g, but not overly fussed.

What I am looking for, if you would be so kind, is a little advice...

I understand the head issues with the 2.4, hence the attraction of the 3ltr, but I understand it also affects this engine too?

As I understand, many people just assumed they were bulletproof and left them be - negelcting them essentially.

If you regularly change the oil/filter and coolants, then you should be fine??

I am off to look at a few Surfs tomorrow and would like your help!

What should I be looking out for?

Electrics - I have read the rear window and heater causes some issues?

4x4 and locking diff - only to be used on soft ground

Engine - overheating issues - so seeing if there are any fluid leaks - oil leaks - rad leaks - before and after a test drive?

Then just basics - chasis shape/rust...etc...how it drives...

Any pointers for the above or any other points to keep an eye out for?

Also, I am off to see a guy in high Wycombe who has a few. One is has just had its head re-done. I am not sure if this is an attraction or a put-off? I guess this means the previous owners' have neglected the car as a whole, so probably worth staying away from? Or will it be sound from now on??

Any help will be hugely appreciated - I'm a bit out of my depth - as I said it's a BIG change from my last car!!!

Thanks,

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys -

A huge change from my last car (Honda Civic Type R EP3), but a change in circumstances has led me to looking into a 4x4. Originally I was looking at Defenders, but after speaking to quite a few people, I have altered the search and settled with the surf.

I am focusing on the gen 2 3.0ltr model - hopefully an ssr-g, but not overly fussed.

What I am looking for, if you would be so kind, is a little advice...

I understand the head issues with the 2.4, hence the attraction of the 3ltr, but I understand it also affects this engine too?

As I understand, many people just assumed they were bulletproof and left them be - negelcting them essentially.

If you regularly change the oil/filter and coolants, then you should be fine??

I am off to look at a few Surfs tomorrow and would like your help!

What should I be looking out for?

Electrics - I have read the rear window and heater causes some issues?

4x4 and locking diff - only to be used on soft ground

Engine - overheating issues - so seeing if there are any fluid leaks - oil leaks - rad leaks - before and after a test drive?

Then just basics - chasis shape/rust...etc...how it drives...

Any pointers for the above or any other points to keep an eye out for?

Also, I am off to see a guy in high Wycombe who has a few. One is has just had its head re-done. I am not sure if this is an attraction or a put-off? I guess this means the previous owners' have neglected the car as a whole, so probably worth staying away from? Or will it be sound from now on??

Any help will be hugely appreciated - I'm a bit out of my depth - as I said it's a BIG change from my last car!!!

Thanks,

Rob

hi mate you want to check the crank shaft seal ,, you can check by looking near the timing belt cover look round the front of the engine for oil stains and check if theres any oil drips down the back of the engine on to the gear box ,,, can be very expensive to repair ,,, and just look every were you can under the truck for oil drip leaks etc ,, and just check all oil levels engine ,,geaerbox etc the 3.0 ltr is the better engine , do,nt be put off by surf having c/head done , just check how long ago it was done and how many miles it,s done since the head was replaced ,, hope this helps thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links