Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Extended Warranty

Phil0600

Hi Folks

Some advice please?

My Auris is fast approaching it's third birthday and (for the first time in 25 years) I'm soon to have a 3 year old (car, that is)! It's also the first time that I'm not in the financial position to change it before it's first MOT is due (owing to the financial mess this country's in; I'll say no more). As expected, I've been contacted by Toyota who are trying to sell me an additional one-year warranty at a cost of £450/500.00 (including Club Toyota membership). As we know, with all insurance policies, there are always exclusion clauses (the purpose of which are clearly to allow insurers' 'wriggle room' to avoid 'paying out') My question is, therefore, is it worth it? I'd be grateful for any advice, based on personal experiences with Toyota, in particular.

Many thanks

Phil

I pondered that question myself for when my warranty runs out and I've decided that I'm going to look at third party warranties. The reasoning is that when I got my Auris, MrT offered me GAP insurance "to safeguard my investment". When I looked into this I got exactly the same cover from the internet at a third of the price.

It might pay to shop around!!

Back in 2006 we were in a similar position with a Mazda Premacy we had. It was my partner's car, and when we were looking around at possible replacements prior to it's thrid birthday, we couldn't find anything she liked. So we had the Premacy serviced and MOT'd, and took out a Mazda extended warranty for one year at a cost of £ 400 including breakdown assistance.

The Premacy had been 100% reliable.

In the following May, on our way back from Sctland the driver's airbag warning light came on, stayed flashing for about 20 minutes and then went out. Booked it into the dealer - no fault found, but were advised that, if the light began flashing again, to note the sequence of flashes and phone the dealer. Two weeks later, the same happened. We made a note of the sequence and phoned the dealer - who diagnosed the fault, and replaced the airbag under warranty. Cost for the driver's airbag module was £ 750 plus fitting.

This was back in June 2007.

In the 90's we had a Honda Concerto from new. Hondas came with a two year warranty at the time, and as we were keeping the car for up to four years we bought a 2 year Honda extended warranty when we first ordered the car (£ 250 for the two years including AA cover). The warranty also included MOT insurance. At the first MOT, the Concerto failed on the front suspension bushes - replacement cost £ 110. However, the MOT insurance part of the warranty covered the MOT failure and we only had to pay an excess of £ 10.

So, in both cases, the extended warranties worked for us.

If you're going to buy a non-Toyota extended warranty, try Car Care Plan. If you have a relative who is a member of the Civil Service Motoring Association, (based on a 1.4 Auris) a 12 month extended warranty with MOT insurance with Car Care Plan and including the CSMA discount, will cost around £ 190 (for a 1.4 Auris).

I'm planning on doing the same thing myself for the Saab. Probably won't need it quite as much you Toyota owners though :yahoo:

NATO

I appreciate your sense of humour - are you really from Another Planet?

I appreciate your sense of humour - are you really from Another Planet?

Offcourse he is. He drives SAAB. People on Earth now that you buy Vectra not SAAB. It is the same piece of rubbish for less money and the VXHL dealer is going to be around in year or two- unlike SAAB (especially after EU changed the law) :)

Or he could be one of SAAB dealers- desperate and about to go bust.

Greg, thanks for the reply. I tidied your post up a bit to make it more readable, see my bold above. They teach English well on my planet. I had to check where you were from in case English is not your first language.

You have to have a sense of humour whatever you drive these days.

NATO

Thank you for correcting my post. English is not my first language (I am much better with Spanish and German) and I rely to much on auto- spelling I guess.

...Extended warranties are pretty much a must have, especially for a turbo diesel: EGR valve change/clean anyone ?

That is why I drive petrol. Especially VVT-i- proven trouble free :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links