Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8Vvti Engine- When Do You Really Need To Change The Timing Chain?

hora

Is a cambelt or a chain? When should you 'really' consider changing the belt on the 1.8VVTI? 100k OR..... could you leave it longer and if it 'went' is it interferance or non-interferance?

Thank you :)

Its a chain driven engine. No need to ever change the chain if the engine is looked after and serviced regularly.

mart.

Its a chain driven engine. No need to ever change the chain if the engine is looked after and serviced regularly.

mart.

Fully agree with mart, the timing chain should last the life of the engine. If the chain needs changing, it's probably time for an engine rebuild.

Thanks guys. 9 main dealer stamps- 1 owner and 84k miles. I'm the second owner :D

My mindset is to be allover any problems as they arise and to do everything as it needs changing/doing rather than waiting to be stranded at the side of the motorway.

If I'm correctly informed, all toyota engines are non-interference, as long as they're original.

If I'm correctly informed, all toyota engines are non-interference, as long as they're original.

Thats not true, i now for certain that 1.0VVTi are interference and the New diesels (AD series) are interference.

Im sure alot more are too.

mart.

I think all chain driven engines are interference engines, whilst cam belt engines vary depending on the design can be either non-interference or interference. VVTI are chain and interference.

I had a Maestro once which the cam belt tensioner broke at 50+ mph. Replaced the tensioner and engine was fine. :)

Vauxhalls 2.2 engines have broken the chain due to a design problem. Destroyed engine. I know somebody whose Nissan chain broke again righting off the engine. So chains can snap! :crybaby:

With proper servicing and oil changes at the appropriate times, the chain should last the life of the engine, as earlier mentioned.

I have noticed that Toyota diesels are interference engines belt or chain. I would avoid belt diesels as they are expensive to change. VW TDi belt changes are very expensive.

My Avensis petrol engine has had the belt change twice in its life and it was cheap! :thumbsup:

I doubt if theres a diesel engine built that's not interference.

I doubt if theres a diesel engine built that's not interference.

I doubt so too. All high compression engines are interference. Including, i believe Toyota D4 petrol engines, as well as the highperfomance 3S-GE beams and 2ZZ-GE