Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Is My Engine Supposed To Sound?

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Hello there...

I have a 2001 51 Toyota Avensis SR 1.8vvti hatch...I was just listening to the sound of my engine and thought...hmmm...what is it supposed to sound like? Is it supposed to be totally quiet while running or a little noisey and groany???

Put it this way...my engines done 86500 miles...i fully serviced it 3months back including oil&gearbox change...but when i start the engine...it fires up fine...and sounds load at first...then settles after a while...been told thats the automatic idleing! but i dont know...it sounds a bit rough and tappety...so hard to decribe and a crazy question to ask! I dont get the chance to listen to other peoples engine with their bonnet up otherwise i may feel better!

To conclude...how do you know if you have a tappet problem? I dont know if mine is normal and have no previous history of the car as i only bought it 3months back, it has a full service history up to i think 65,000 miles...what happened between that and 86.000 only god knows! Any advise please???

Thanks...sam

First, check your oil level. Several posts on here tell you about excessive oilconsumption on this engine

Record your sound and post it on youtube. Or try go to youtube and search for 1zz-fe, Avensis 1.8 or something that will point you in the right direction. Here is an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCr8UqFCUPQ

The idle rpm is supposed to be higher when cold and gradually decrease as the engine warms up.

Engines are often louder when cold. If the noise decreases as it warms up, it shouldn't be anything serious.

The tappet noise you think that you hear, could he the injector nossles. I had a Carina and complained about tappet noise, but was told it was the injector system and it was normal. However, i have heard something about the vvt-i engines don't all have hydraulically adjusted valves like the older engines had, so maybe they need adjustment

THANK YOU so much...my first reply on this topic and you've been a great help already! Just to mention i check my oil every sunday without fail eventhough i only do about 20 miles a week! A joke i know! I have just been on youtube to listen to some 1ZZ-FE engine noises and my god...i think mine is kinda normal now! It would be great if i knew how to take it apart and give everything a good old clean though...knew i should have done that mechanics course when i was younger lol! Thanks again. Sam

THANK YOU so much...my first reply on this topic and you've been a great help already! Just to mention i check my oil every sunday without fail eventhough i only do about 20 miles a week! A joke i know! I have just been on youtube to listen to some 1ZZ-FE engine noises and my god...i think mine is kinda normal now! It would be great if i knew how to take it apart and give everything a good old clean though...knew i should have done that mechanics course when i was younger lol! Thanks again. Sam

I suppose mine could do with a cleanout too. It was sitting for over a year. When i started her up for the first time after that year, i was sure the engine would be history. But with new sparkplugs and adding condensate remover she ran like new, except for a stuck IAC valve. However if i had any mechanical skills i would take her appart just to be sure.

Hey Sam,

With all your recent noise related problems on this forum - I think I have found the answer... :laughing:

post-39036-126928228466_thumb.jpg

Hi,

What you might find useful is the Haynes manual Toyota Avensis 1998 - 2003 , its in Halfords and covers your engine.

Yours does have manually adusted tappets but its certainly not a job to recommend for someone who has never used feeler gauges before.

If your tappets are badly out you will clearly notice them from within the cabin with everything shut.

When you start a cold engine it takes time for the oil to be pumped up to the tappets so you always get some clattering.

Longer you leave the car cold, ie 1 or 2 days then the less oil will be on the parts so the louder the clattering.

The engine revs more while it gets warm, this is normal, what used to be descibed as having the 'choke on'

With your low mileage it might be worthwhile taking your car out for a 30 min run once a week or so, just to keep things moving, its will keep your brake discs clean as well.

When you changed your oil did you get the engine really hot before draining it ? - the hotter it is the more old oil will come out.

Just before you do drain it next time you can add a can of top end / tappet cleaner available from most accessory places; this helps clean all the innternal oilways that supply the tappets.

Also the correct oil grade is important - see your handbook - but for a car doing so low a mileage it might be worth paying that bit extra for a top brand oil that will stay on the parts longer.

HI Richard.C.

Your a joker mate...loved them ear muffs...haven't laughed that hard in a long time so THANK YOU...but you're absolutely right...basically keep on driving and ignore all the niggly bits! Re my oil change i sure did warm up the engine properly...i knew i had to do that so that the oil would drain out thinner and quicker and faster...i even blew into the oil filler cap to really get every last drop out...never again though...tasted nasty lol! I also used a good branded oil too...i believe if you're gonna do the job do it once and do it properly! But this adjustment of tappets sounds appealing...does it involve taking off the head i guess? Because thats scary...feeler guages i can learn to use...but it would be interesting to know more! I already have the Haynes manual you speak of so i'll read up on it tonight...how sad can one get...i often read the manual in bed with my hot cocoa...mainly the troubleshooting pages lol! I must say its a pretty crapply illustrated book...unless im just thick i guess! Hey thanks again.

Shouldn't have to take the head off. Just the camshaftcover. Was a light job as far as i remember. Only had one car that needed it done, which was my first car. 4A SOHC carburated Carina II 1986.

But why don't they use hydaulically adjusted valves on these newer engines?

• 2 weeks later...

Shouldn't have to take the head off. Just the camshaftcover. Was a light job as far as i remember. Only had one car that needed it done, which was my first car. 4A SOHC carburated Carina II 1986.

But why don't they use hydaulically adjusted valves on these newer engines?

Dont tappets on the older engine of my cars, a a+ enging in a 1985 maestro and a 89 fiesta, both easy to do, rocker cover off, and tooled needed for both cars was the feelers, a 10mm ring spanner and a 5mm flathead screwdriver, o and a trolly jack. Putting the car in 4th gear and jacking up a drive wheel to turn the engine was a well useful tip i learnt :-)

I now have a 1999 1.6 avensis se saloon :-)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links