Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pre Buying Aygo Advice

Matt Hughes

Hey all,

So glad I stumbled upon this website, spent most of last night after work reading the threads on here and it made for some good reading. It's good to know how much support there is for owners of the Aygo.

I have a little question/advice I need of my own and hoping some of you can help me..

Just before Christmas I was doing well with my job and had some fairly good money coming in, so I brought a used Astra 1.6 but since then things have gone down hill, I lost the job through cuts and have had to take a job and less money. Obviously now its costing a lot to run with what I'm earning and I've been looking at cheaper alternatives, someone I know from a while back had an Aygo and I did like how it drove and how it looked but I've also been looking at a 1.2 Corsa.

What I'm worried about is obviously going from the comforts of the Astra to the Aygo, e.g the most annoying thing for me with my friends Aygo is that you only have one electric window switch on the drivers side door, not both switches for both windows.

What have other people gone from to the Aygo and did you find the transition difficult but did it work out to be worth it? Did you have other cars in mind when buying an Aygo and what made you choose the Aygo other than cost?

Hey all,

So glad I stumbled upon this website, spent most of last night after work reading the threads on here and it made for some good reading. It's good to know how much support there is for owners of the Aygo.

I have a little question/advice I need of my own and hoping some of you can help me..

Just before Christmas I was doing well with my job and had some fairly good money coming in, so I brought a used Astra 1.6 but since then things have gone down hill, I lost the job through cuts and have had to take a job and less money. Obviously now its costing a lot to run with what I'm earning and I've been looking at cheaper alternatives, someone I know from a while back had an Aygo and I did like how it drove and how it looked but I've also been looking at a 1.2 Corsa.

What I'm worried about is obviously going from the comforts of the Astra to the Aygo, e.g the most annoying thing for me with my friends Aygo is that you only have one electric window switch on the drivers side door, not both switches for both windows.

What have other people gone from to the Aygo and did you find the transition difficult but did it work out to be worth it? Did you have other cars in mind when buying an Aygo and what made you choose the Aygo other than cost?

our story is not that different although I had to cut down on work due to ill health, but we've gone from a Skoda Octavia VRS with all bells and whistles to a year old Aygo black! My wife uses that car and is mainly in it alone and I have to say we both smile more driving the aygo!! That little engine is amazing!! We've got air con, half leather, I fitted a rev counter (so easy!) we've had the back windows tinted and I'm not at all sorry the VRS has gone - I've also sold my MINI Cooper S for an iQ3 - not the same drivers car but still funky and fun and at the end of the day does the same job of getting from A to B - Once i get back on me feet we'll prob keep the well specced iQ and then swap the aygo - I'd go for, we're getting 53 to the gallon and my wife drives (if you know what I mean!!) we've always had fast cars and as I say the aygo makes us smile!!

Good luck in whatever happens!

MD

post-85865-126925538747_thumb.jpg

post-85865-126925540006_thumb.jpg

post-85865-126925543363_thumb.jpg

post-85865-126925544713_thumb.jpg

We've had our Aygo for about a month and a half now (I still need to post the pictures . . . .) and we are really happy with it. Everyone says nice things about it, but my favorite comment came from my friend who drives a (giant) range rover: she said, "I can't believe it's so small! When you're sitting in it, you have absolutely no idea it's a little car." She even told her husband how impressed she was with the roomy feeling you get from the inside (though I doubt he'll be able to talk her into trading the behemoth for an Aygo anytime soon).

I like driving it: it is zippy in 1st, 2d and 3d gear and very efficient at higher speeds in 4th and 5th. The interior doesn't feel too dinky to me, though the carpet is definitely on the cheapy side.

I haven't driven the Astra so I don't really know what you'll be giving up, but I can say that we don't feel deprived at all with our Aygo.

Get one, you won't regret it. thumbsup.gif

It's fun to drive, cheap to run and they hold their value. yahoo.gif

I've been happy with mine. Some of the guys on this site will tell you how to fit a switch to control the other window

It all depends on what you're after from your next car. if it is a purely cost issue, then i don't think you could do better than an Aygo. Yes there are obvious cost cutting measures that, in my personal opinion, Toyota did not need to go down to cut every penny from every possible which-way-they-can. But still, it is livable given what it does, it does very well.

Firstly, the car is very perky - revvy little engine, great [MMT] gearbox and light'n'nimble. Chuck on a Style Pack and it finishes off the car very nicely. I can be as grown up or as youthful as you want it and coming back to the value for money issue - it is chocked full of the right kit too (especially of you get a Blue).

If you really must have central double-locking, delayed interior lights, wind down (rather than clip opening) rear windows or a genuine 5 seater (remember Aygo can legally only carry 4) then perhaps you need to look at something else. Our Aygo is the 3rd car in our household and we love it!

Had ours for a month so far (1000 miles).

Bought a basic one & not regretted it. You can reach the passenger side window from the driver's seat & it only takes a few seconds to manually wind down the windows. The winder knob is a bit small though.

10 carrier bags of shopping (weekly shop for 3 people) fit in the boot.

4 adults fit in the car.

Genuine 53 mpg average so far (brim to brim on refuelling) - this should improve slightly as the engine loosens off. Gearing is pretty much spot-on and the car is a suprisingly capable motorway car.

Fitted a glove box lid (£28 from Toyota), seat covers (£11.99 from LIDL) and some old floor mats from a series 2 Astra.

The lack of boot light is taken care of by a magnetic 24-LED light at £3 ish. Not moved on the seat back after 1000 miles.

No leaks yet but not washed it either.

Not bad on a long distance journey either. I was going to Worcester in my Astra SRI Cdti and the alternator failed, had to be recovered from Cambridge to Lowestoft. When we got home justt chucked all the stuff into my wife's Aygo and set off again - I was desperate to get to the pub lol.

Overtook the recovery vehicle and got to Worcester without any aches or pains, and not much overtook us either - brilliant little car.

I have a Toyota as well now.

Well, every single person who has got in my Aygo since I've had it (a few months now) has commented on how nice it is. I'm now achieving around 55 mpg (you won't get that from a 1.2 Corsa!) and of course, the £20 tax is a big bonus. It's fun to drive, spacious inside and it'll hold its value far, far better than a Corsa too. Plus it's more reliable and not as common! You won't regret buying one! :D

It's fun to drive, spacious inside and it'll hold its value far, far better than a Corsa too. Plus it's more reliable and not as common! You won't regret buying one! :D

Absolutely concur - its a real gem :)

Ok, I have definitely decided I want one.

As you will know from my topic post I have an Astra, but what I'm seeking to know now what it is really worth as there is so much difference between advertised prices. I've had a look on Auto trader and for roughly the same as mine there is a difference between 4,500 - 5,500. I brought the Astra for 6,200 so I would be more looking forward to more of the 5,500 as I only brought it back in December and don't want to loose too much.

The Astra:

1.6 Twinport Club, 55 plate (new shape), 5 door, manual

30,000 miles

Excellent condition in & out

Alloy wheels (no scratches), air con, CD player

Any replies on the rough price of this car would be greatly appreciated! Once I get this sold I can get my Aygo :D

Maybe it is just the way I drive, but most people first say when they get into my car that they are surprised they can fit in it (my brother is over 6ft tall) and then secondly they comment that they wished they didn't have a full stomach of food because of the uncomfortable ride going over bumps. Is this just my (bad) driving style?

Is this just my (bad) driving style?

I think you are being unfair to yourself,

It's not your fault your a women...

censored.gif (Just teasing, Women are excellent drivers. I know coz my wife says so.. )

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links