Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Elusive Egr Valve!

AvensisKen

Hi there,

I'v been watching this forum for months, and finally joined up yesterday. I saw the pictures and instructions on how to check the EGR valve, so during my service today I decided to give it a go...

I have a 2004 Avensis d4d 2ltr Dsl. The engine is the 1CD model. I took out the Air box and looked for the EGR valve. It can't see anything that looks like any of the pictures posted on here!

What i "think" is the EGR Valve is to the left of the base of the air box, about 5 inches tall, and cylindrical at the top. This thing is held on with two 12 bolts, and has two rubber hoses clamped on, along with a black sensor. It has 3 or 4 really small nuts on top too.

I thought this may be the EGR, so i tried to get it off. Removed the two bolts, and took off the two hoses and the sensor. I tried to pull it away from the engine block but it just wont budge.

So, my two questions are:

1. Is this the EGR valve assembly?

2. If it is, how would I get it off?

Thanks a million in advance,

Ken.

Hi there,

I'v been watching this forum for months, and finally joined up yesterday. I saw the pictures and instructions on how to check the EGR valve, so during my service today I decided to give it a go...

I have a 2004 Avensis d4d 2ltr Dsl. The engine is the 1CD model. I took out the Air box and looked for the EGR valve. It can't see anything that looks like any of the pictures posted on here!

What i "think" is the EGR Valve is to the left of the base of the air box, about 5 inches tall, and cylindrical at the top. This thing is held on with two 12 bolts, and has two rubber hoses clamped on, along with a black sensor. It has 3 or 4 really small nuts on top too.

I thought this may be the EGR, so i tried to get it off. Removed the two bolts, and took off the two hoses and the sensor. I tried to pull it away from the engine block but it just wont budge.

So, my two questions are:

1. Is this the EGR valve assembly?

2. If it is, how would I get it off?

Thanks a million in advance,

Ken.

Sounds like you are on the right track. After removing the top two 12mm nuts, there is a third fixing point at the base, a 12mm bolt. In my pictures in the general members' gallery, the socket is pictured on this bolt. It would be easier to get to it if you completely removed the airbox - I didn't.

On this forum, cmia recommends cleaning it in diesel.

Sounds like you are on the right track. After removing the top two 12mm nuts, there is a third fixing point at the base, a 12mm bolt. In my pictures in the general members' gallery, the socket is pictured on this bolt. It would be easier to get to it if you completely removed the airbox - I didn't.

On this forum, cmia recommends cleaning it in diesel.

Thanks for the info Avensisman. I went back for round two today. got the bolts out fine, it came loose, but when i took off the left side black hose, a gush of about 200mls of coolant came out. I decided to abandon ship, and put it back on incase more drained out. Ended up with a lightly cooked hand and a nice 20min walk to the nearest garage for coolant!!

Is there supposed to be some coolant circulating through the egr valve, and will more drain out if i leave the valves disconnected for the 10 mins. (engine off, obviously!)

Thanks,

Ken.

No coolant, your in the wrong place. Look in the Auris & Corolla area's at the recent thread EGR thread's your car will look similiar.

To Avensis Ken.

No offence CMIA, but i don't think that's a EGR valve of a MK11 1CD-FTV engine. On the 1CD-FTV engine it's bolted to the right hand side of the inlet manifold as you look into the engine bay with cover removed & is a bugger to access. The EGR valve that you have been looking at Avensis Ken is of the later chain driven D4D engines which is much easier to remove than the MK11engines fitted from 03 to 05.

Regards, Beagh.

PS: Cannot think what pipe you have pulled off, as your EGR valve is electronically controlled.

Hi again! After take three, and reading most of the toyota service manual, the EGR valve is the one I first described. It has the two hoses entering on either side, presumably an in and out for coolant. The toyota manual confirms that this is the EGR valve, with the electronics the the top.

However, cabcurtains said there should be no coolant passing through it. When I took off the hose on the left, there was a good gush of it! I must say, the car isn't having any problems. I just wanted to give it a good clean along with the rest of the service.

Can anybody actually confirm if, and why, coolant passes through the EGR valve?

Thanks again, Ken.

PS, googling the part number printed on the side(135000-8110 confirmes it as "EGR Streering valve"

post-91977-126937342842_thumb.jpg

post-91977-126937358134_thumb.jpg

Hi again! After take three, and reading most of the toyota service manual, the EGR valve is the one I first described. It has the two hoses entering on either side, presumably an in and out for coolant. The toyota manual confirms that this is the EGR valve, with the electronics the the top.

However, cabcurtains said there should be no coolant passing through it. When I took off the hose on the left, there was a good gush of it! I must say, the car isn't having any problems. I just wanted to give it a good clean along with the rest of the service.

Can anybody actually confirm if, and why, coolant passes through the EGR valve?

Thanks again, Ken.

PS, googling the part number printed on the side(135000-8110 confirmes it as "EGR Streering valve"

The Exhuast gas is cooled before being fed back into the inlet manifold. This is to reduce the temperature of the gas, it also has the additional benefit of warming up the coolant quicker and helping to reduce engine wear. There aere articles about it out on the web.

Thanks for that caveman!! Do you think removing the coolant hoses would drain all of the coolant, or just whatever is in the egr and the hoses? I'd hope to not have to do a full coolant change as the stuff in there is the long life coolant, changed only a few weeks ago!

Ken.

Thanks for that caveman!! Do you think removing the coolant hoses would drain all of the coolant, or just whatever is in the egr and the hoses? I'd hope to not have to do a full coolant change as the stuff in there is the long life coolant, changed only a few weeks ago!

Ken.

If you have a couple of small bolts handy, you can put them in the ends of the coolant hoses. Very little came out when I removed mine, but I did it on a cold engine and I was ready with the bolts to plug the ends before I tucked them back out of the way.

Hi Ken, exactly the same happended to me! I undid one of the hoses and ended up with an engine bay covered in coolant!! Like yourself I also retreated and will probably try again on a cold engine

I stand corrected, i have never seen one with a coolant pipe connected.

To Avensis Ken.

No offence CMIA, but i don't think that's a EGR valve of a MK11 1CD-FTV engine. On the 1CD-FTV engine it's bolted to the right hand side of the inlet manifold as you look into the engine bay with cover removed & is a bugger to access. The EGR valve that you have been looking at Avensis Ken is of the later chain driven D4D engines which is much easier to remove than the MK11engines fitted from 03 to 05.

Regards, Beagh.

PS: Cannot think what pipe you have pulled off, as your EGR valve is electronically controlled.

Its their.

:P

Ive taken it off multiple times.

I meant to put exhaust, and not inlet.

its defo their :P