Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Cruise Control

rickers

Hi Guys;

I was driving down a hill the other day on cruis (55 2.0 Ltr petrol manual), and initially it felt like that obviously the throttle input reduced to stop the speed increasing. as i went further down the hill and the speed was about to increase above the speed set initially, it felt that there was something else at work to help keep the speed down.

Now my question is : Do the brakes or something else automatically apply to ensure that the speed stays down to the set point?

thanks in advance for your answers.

rick

Generally, I`m really impressed with cruise control on my Avensis but it only really seems to work well on the flat (motorways generally or fast A roads) - it doesn`t cope well with ups and downs.

In your situation, my car certainly would not apply the brakes and I dont think yours will either.

Cruise Control is excellent for fuel economy runs on motorways

Hi,

As far as I know, Cruise Controls only try to maintain speed, by either using a servo on the gas cable or electronically via the ECU.

When the speed increases to above the set speed, it just closes the throttle and the engine brake is used, the same as would happen if you take your foot off the gas pedal.

I have an after market cruise control installed, and there is a warning in the user guide, like "This system does not brake when going downhill" ... or something like that.

My info on downhill travel with cruise control engaged is, if the hill is likely to make you travel at lets say 40mph and you have set it to cruise at 30mph then it can be harmful to your transmission and you must turn the system off and use the gears manually, if my memory also serves me right i think the cruise will temporily cancell itself if the speed falls below 25mph on a uphill slog, i could be wrong on the latter.

Thanks guys;

I forgot to add, that I know what makes them tick, and hwo they work, but after changing form an 18 year old car to a 4 year old the amount of technology baffles a bit. at least the technology in the background.

I do agree that is it very good at economy runs. did 43 at 70 Mph steady'ish and about 41 at 75. not bad for petrol.

It just felt that after the engine braking started by closing the throttle there was something else that caused retardation.

My dad has got a Prius so I am used to engine braking and the like.

Cheers

rick

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links