Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Diesel Splashes And Spills Down Side Of Car

tallguy

Hi,

I have owned my Diesel Avensis for about 6 weeks and done about 3000 miles, which means I've put some diesel in it a few times. Now I maybe stupid (a distinct possibility according to some) but every time I fill up the diesel sprays back or spills down the side of the car, the nozzle doesn't seem to go in to the hole particularly well. Overtime this will damage the paint work.

Is this common?

Am I doing something wrong?

Is this just the nozzle at my local garage?

Is this a design fault?

Yours P**'d off with wiping diesel off the side of my car :(

Tallguy

Hi,

I have owned my Diesel Avensis for about 6 weeks and done about 3000 miles, which means I've put some diesel in it a few times. Now I maybe stupid (a distinct possibility according to some) but every time I fill up the diesel sprays back or spills down the side of the car, the nozzle doesn't seem to go in to the hole particularly well. Overtime this will damage the paint work.

Is this common?

Is this a design fault?

Tallguy

hello mate

there are two type (capacity) of pistols as for trucks and cars -- so may be this pistol nozzle does not suit yor filling hole and normally spplied for twuck's holes?? Cheers/Igor

Hi,

Is this common?

Is this a design fault?

Tallguy

hello mate

there are two type (capacity) of pistols as for trucks and cars -- so may be this pistol nozzle does not suit yor filling hole and normally spplied for twuck's holes?? Cheers/Igor

Sounds to me like you're overfilling. When you hear the first click from the tank, then its time to take out your nozzle (this sounds well dodgy). Always best to try and shake the nozzle in the opening as best you can, then lift the nozzle back and put it back into the holder. Tilting back means you reduce potential for drips.

On all cars, you have an overflow. I used to try and fill as much as I can to the brim. When you do this, all that happens is that it escapes from overflow and goes on the floor. So, up to a quid of diesel now belongs to the earth and you still have to pay for it.

I stop refilling at the second click. After the first click I wait a few seconds for the fuel to settle then let it click once more.

I know how much it will need (remaining fuel in the tank v amount being put in) and I slow down the filling process for the last few litres until the first click.

I never have an overspill :thumbsup:

I stop refilling at the second click. After the first click I wait a few seconds for the fuel to settle then let it click once more.

I know how much it will need (remaining fuel in the tank v amount being put in) and I slow down the filling process for the last few litres until the first click.

nah nah, Maybe I didn't say at the start but this happens as soon as I start to refuel, the nozzle doesn't fit too well and the diesel sprays back even just after starting

nah nah, Maybe I didn't say at the start but this happens as soon as I start to refuel, the nozzle doesn't fit too well and the diesel sprays back even just after starting

ok well we all know that is not meant to happen! as mentioned before, the diesel for trucks has a larger nozzle, to pump more thru faster, so i am presuming you are filling up from a normal diesel pump designed for cars, and not designed for trucks etc?

if you are using the standard diesel pump, then check the entrance of the cars fuel tank, and make sure that there is no device fitted to it thereby narrowing the entrance. god knows why someone would have put one there in the first place as nowadays the size of the hole is different for petrol and diesel cars as their respective nozzles are a different size in an effort to reduce accidental diesel in petrol car fillups and vice versa.

the nozzle should quite happily go into the fuel tank entrance for a good 4 inches at least i would say (size matters eh?!?!)

if the nozzle is not going into the cars fuel entrance pipe like that then there is something wrong. ive never known a nozzle to spray back on starting the refuel process. if there does not appear to be an obvious obstruction, then maybe a trip to Mr Toyota is in order. Very strange though, and I imagine yr spending a fair bit on wasted juice too :(

good luck.

For some reason my Avensis also has an awkward tank opening. Not sure if this is an inherent problem. I have to pretty much turn the nozzle 90 degrees to get it to fit in.

My only advice if you are using a regular nozzle and pump is to ensure you get the nozzle in virtually all the way to the trigger. I never have a problem with splash back, but have had an issue in the past where the nozzle was difficult to get out! I looked a right pleb at the pump.

Anyway, keep persisting. Failing that maybe consult an expert.

Hi,

Is this common?

Is this a design fault?

Tallguy

hello mate

Sounds to me like you're overfilling. When you hear the first click from the tank, then its time to take out your nozzle (this sounds well dodgy). Always best to try and shake the nozzle in the opening as best you can, then lift the nozzle back and put it back into the holder. Tilting back means you reduce potential for drips.

On all cars, you have an overflow. I used to try and fill as much as I can to the brim. When you do this, all that happens is that it escapes from overflow and goes on the floor. So, up to a quid of diesel now belongs to the earth and you still have to pay for it.

Car fuel tanks don't have an overflow - they will have a breather tube which reaches up to roof height. This to ensure the fuel doesn't spill out in the event of a roll-over.:)

Hi,

Is this common?

Is this a design fault?

Tallguy

Just hope you ain't standing at the adjacent urinal the next time I go for a leak :P

Sorry I couldn't resist LOL!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links