Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Celica Intake Air Temp Sensor Help?

dave_celica

Hi, I dont have a Celica Haynes manual (probably because Halfords dont sell them for the Celcia where I live) therefore am confused as to where the IAT sensor is located in the Celica st engine compartment. I'm trying to fit a timing advanced kit which looks like a diode with 2 ends to the IAT. The picture instructions are very poor but it basically asks me to insert the ends of the mod into the slots of the IAT sensor, thus when the ends are in the slot you dont plug the sensor back into the air box. Does anyone know if it is in fact simply that little piece of black plastic that I currently have attached to the air intake pipe due to the allocation of my induction kit? Cheers.

Dave.

The AIT sensor should still be in place when you fit this mod(did you get it off eBay??). All it is is a resistor. You connect its ends into the terminals and put the connector back on. Check out the following link for full details. Please post on here if you notice any performance improvements, I don't know of anyone who's tried this mod, just seems too good to be true!!

http://www.installuniversity.com/

when you get there click on the SEARCH and type Timing Tricker. Scroll down to timing tricker pick on that and read the CLEAR instructions.

By the way you can get the resistor for about 30p from MAPLINS

:bookworm:

Thanks for the reply! The mod was from eBay yes (£2.50) so was prepared to waste it.

The installuniversity website wont load for some reason. It’s not my computer because everything else works. Anyway, I installed that resistor mod into the IAT sensor the other day and it actually does do the business really well. The acceleration of my Celica St is now noticeably faster, but I just hope it doesn’t do any long-term damage!

When fitting the resistor though, the instructions say to bend it in place and wrap it in electrical tape, leaving it away from the air intake on its own. The picture and text instructions also clarify this. Not only is that the case but there is clearly no way you can fit the plastic connector back on because of the presence of the resistor. What do you think? Cheers!

Dave. :thumbsup:

Without the connector fitted the IAT cant possibly talk to the ECU so you must find a way to get it back on. Strange that the installuniversity link doesn't work for you I just clicked on the link i posted and got straight in. Anyway they say bend the wires at the ends of the resister body so it forms a U shape then poke the ends into the connector. Fold them up the side of the connector and then re-fit the connector. They say it wont do any harm at all. Apparently people use it to improve 0-60 times when drag racing.

Well you certainly sound like you know what your talking about but I don’t understand. If you say it cant talk to the ECU then how come the car is working as it normally does? Does it mean my car will suddenly break down?

Surely if I stick both the resistor AND the original connector in then the computer ECU thing will be totally confused because it will be told about the actual temperature of the air and fooled into thinking the air is colder! If I were a computer id be pretty confused, lol!

You say about the drag racing thing, does that mean that the resistor is actually used by other people and not just a con! Cheers for you help mate!

Dave.

in theory they should work. but i fitted one, and not really noticed any difference. itsa not gonna confuse ur ecu, just change the signal that its being sent

Without the IAT sensor sending a signal to the ECU you may find that the ECU thinks that the engine needs different fuelling and iginition timing settings than it really does. Remember this resistor makes the ECU change the timing by a metered amount. Not having a connection may take the settings outside what are considered SAFE limits.