Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Re Lambda O2 Sensors...

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

GUYS...

Has anyone ever removed a o2 lambda sensor on a 2001 HATCHBACK 1.8 VVTI...(Or maybe even a 2000/2002 if their the same 1zz-fe engine) and cleaned it and put it back in again successfuly??? Im thinking of doing this on my car but heard they weld themselves on? I thought i'd spray loads of wd40 on one day, may be more the next day, and then try to remove it on the third day...by disconnecting the plug...using a spanner to remove it...take it off carefully without knocking it...cleaning it with i dont know...and then put it back in...tighten with spanner...plug back in...and thats it? Please help me!

Sam

Hi,

GUYS...

Has anyone ever removed a o2 lambda sensor on a 2001 HATCHBACK 1.8 VVTI...(Or maybe even a 2000/2002 if their the same 1zz-fe engine) and cleaned it and put it back in again successfuly??? Im thinking of doing this on my car but heard they weld themselves on? I thought i'd spray loads of wd40 on one day, may be more the next day, and then try to remove it on the third day...by disconnecting the plug...using a spanner to remove it...take it off carefully without knocking it...cleaning it with i dont know...and then put it back in...tighten with spanner...plug back in...and thats it? Please help me!

Sam

Well if your read your manual you will see it says do not attempt to clean it, and from what I have read elsewhere that is true as most cleaning compounds will damage the sensor element.

As well as the sensor element, there is also a little heater in there, and for some reason they always seem to go shortly after disconnecting the Battery - this leaves you with a permament check light on.

When I changed the single sensor on my 2000 1,8 non vti, despite looking a bit rusty and dry, the nuts came off quiet easily and the sensor also can out cleanly from the gasket.

You could try a bottle of that Cataclean fluid I used, seems to have improved my mpg a little if nothing else, 44mpg on the last tank which is high for the winter months.

You could also get a new sensor and fit it if you know which of the sensors it is giving the error? - for your car they are about £66 from Euro Car Part. Alternativley you could try swapping the sensors around and see if the fault follows the sensor - but of cousre you alway run the risk of doing more harm than good.

Are the two sensors on the Avensis VVTi the same and have the same wiring connections.The code reader tells me that my O2 sensor is the problem but which one?

Thanks Richard...

Your a star for your advice...I never heard of Cataclean so just looked it up on eBay...very expensive (£15+) but sounds amazing...especially that it cleans the lambda sensors!!! I dont know though...its too good to be true dude! Wonder if it would fix my o2 lambda sensor problem? I did phone Euro Carparts recently and they quoted me £75, another local spares shop quoted me £62 for an NGK one! My problem sensor is the one to the left at the back when you looking directly at the engine! thing is should i just replace both of them right and left??? like how one would with say shock absorbers!!! Im confused man...Let me know if you get time! Thanks...Sammy

Thanks Richard...

Your a star for your advice...I never heard of Cataclean so just looked it up on ebay...very expensive (£15+) but sounds amazing...especially that it cleans the lambda sensors!!! I dont know though...its too good to be true dude! Wonder if it would fix my o2 lambda sensor problem? I did phone Euro Carparts recently and they quoted me £75, another local spares shop quoted me £62 for an NGK one! My problem sensor is the one to the left at the back when you looking directly at the engine! thing is should i just replace both of them right and left??? like how one would with say shock absorbers!!! Im confused man...Let me know if you get time! Thanks...Sammy

Hi Sam,

I did find that Cataclean in some local motor parts shops for £15, one place it looked so tatty I walked away, the next one had a good stock of clearly new bottles, the cap is hard to remove but once off there is a strong foil still sealing it.

Does it work ... ? well I did get through the mot, and the mpg does seem about 3-4 mpg better, but the check light does still come on, but I would say not as often.

As to replacing your sensor, Denso are supposed to be an OEM suppier for the parts, not sure about ngk.

ECP site shows what I think is your sensor at £66, if thats correct try another branch or buy online - my local branch actually quoted me a sensor £10 cheaper than the online price.My link

Also having fallen foul of buying an after market part that did not fully cure my problem I cannot say with total confidence you should go buying two new ones.

At that relatively low price per sensor I would buy and fit just one and see what happens, if its ok, then you know where you can buy another if the other one goes.

Either way, always keep the old sensor and make a note of the actual part number on its body, difficult to see in situ.

On your other post, have tried Reddex etc but never noticed any difference, agree with that other guy, would never use anything in the gearbox or PS.

The only other thing I have found to make a difference was the can of oil flush My link.