Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Running In Advice... Two Questions.

Mooly

Two quick questions on running in a 1.33 Auris.

1. I was told with last car (TSport) not to be to gentle for to long and to make sure to use a good proportion of the rev range with a view to stopping glazing of the cylinder walls. I also read somewhere that high revs causes the piston to travel that tiny bit further stopping a wear ridge developing before it should as it were.

Just add I don't mean thrashing the engine, just an occasional light build of revs to (say) 5k initially then a little more each time.

Any thoughts on that ?

2. Oil change after a couple of thousand miles ? yay/nay.

After being told that the 1.33 uses a special 0/20 oil, which is horrendously expensive, after reading the book it seems that although that is the preferred choice, you can actually even use 20/50... urghhhh.

Any thoughts on that one :)

1. I was told with last car (TSport) not to be to gentle for to long and to make sure to use a good proportion of the rev range with a view to stopping glazing of the cylinder walls. I also read somewhere that high revs causes the piston to travel that tiny bit further stopping a wear ridge developing before it should as it were.

Just add I don't mean thrashing the engine, just an occasional light build of revs to (say) 5k initially then a little more each time.

Any thoughts on that ?

After being told that the 1.33 uses a special 0/20 oil, which is horrendously expensive, after reading the book it seems that although that is the preferred choice, you can actually even use 20/50... urghhhh.

to question 1 yes but make that 4k for first thousand.

for question 2 a good quality 5w 30 semi or fully synthetic but if you can afford it Mobil formula 1

all the best

acetip

1. There are different schools for engine running in. I went to the one where crucial period for the engine is first 50 miles. You should run it quite hard and then another 500 miles not allow it labour to much and sometimes high rev it. ALWAYS warm it up before pushing accelerator harder. Some still use mineral oil during that period.

2. Stick to manufacturer recommendation. Some engines are very sensitive about oil used (VVT-i used to be/is(?) one of them). You can use almost any reputable manufacturer but use correct and recommended grade for your climate zone.

Any thoughts on that ?

when purchasing a new car we have to assume the manufacturer has filled it the best oil for running in the engine.

who drains the oil out of a brand new car and refills it with their own choice

, not many i bet

acetip

no need to change the oil as it is now 10,000 miles for the first service.

basicaly all engines are sort of run in from the factory, hence why the old 1,000 mile first service has been dropped.

id just drive it as a normal car and service it when its due

Thanks guys,

Acetip... 4K for first thousand :) Point taken, not to much to soon.

"who drains the oil out of a brand new car and refills it with their own choice". Well I did on the TSport after around 2000 miles and used a semi/synth (Castrol GTX Magentec) on the advice of service manager at Toyota... and what an engine that turned out to be... Ace :)

GregP... Interesting point on mineral oil. Again, many years ago the service manager at Toyota reckoned that if they ever did any "engine work" that the best oil was some "cheapo supermarket" stuff for the first 200 miles or so as modern sythetics were so good that it stopped proper bedding in.

Agree on not letting the engine labour, better more revs than less.

dawesy... 10K just seems to long somehow, although modern engines are made to much finer tolerances than of old.

So thanks, you have made me feel I am on the right lines.

Since 1987 we've changed both cars every three years. Always followed the manufacturers guidelines on running in. Our first K10 Micras needed their oil changed at 1000 miles, but no cars since then have required it and we've had no problems at all. Had a mixture of Nissans, Hondas, Toyotas and Mazdas - on our 15th new car now and due to change our second car in the summer.

10,000 seems a long time - but Peugeots have 20,000 mile service intervals which in my opinion is way too long for an oil change, let alone the first oil change.

Interestingly when I ordered my Auris 1.33, we were due to go on holiday to Scotland on the Saturday. I was offered the showroom 1.33 for delivery on the Friday, and when i expresed concern about putting 300 miles (incl 200 motorway miles)on the car on its second day of our ownership, the dealer saw no problem with this as the engines are test bed run at the factory.

Needless to say, I declined and instead ordered the colour i wanted - and took delivery of the spec I wanted8 days after returning from holiday.

Well I tend to keep cars quite a long time... at three years and it's still under warranty. The last one I kept 8 years...

I think I probably will do or have done an oil change on the Auris.

20K has to be too long for oil changes, although many specify that now. I wonder if we will see an increase in problems due to this in coming years. Perhaps the reason is cheaper servicing costs etc to fleets... makes it seem more attractive.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links