Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Power Steering

Mstock3

After three visits to my local dealer I am no further in getting a power steering fault repaired on my 2009 tourer and would welcome any advise. The power steering appears to switch off at low speeds, specifically noticeable when parking, this is an intermittent problem. The dealer at the last visit stated that this may be a software fault a sensor input of high temperature - switching the motor off. My concern, apart from the three abortive visits is what is happening when travelling at speed.

Help please?

Thanks

Hi,

The way I understand the Avensis' electric power steering should work is "Inverse Progressive".

Which is also my experience on the T27.

Meaning, that the slower you drive the harder the power steering works for you, and its assistance decreases when speed increases.

If yours switches off when parking, that's clearly a fault which should be fixed as soon as possible.

Steering, brakes and to a lesser extent... gas pedals, must work reliably on Toyota's, and not "intermittently". :eek:

I'm sure your dealer will admit!

I would go back and respectfully tell that if they cannot locate the fault then they must change the entire system :yes:

I'm in agreement with Thermal, the power steering is meant to get light at parking speeds then 'tone down' at speeds, theory being that you get more 'feel' from the handling, BUT, you've raised something I've thought my car is suffering from too. Sometimes at parking speeds it takes a lot of effort to turn the wheel and you can feel the steering 'bog down' and there's no linear movement to spinning the wheel around.

One thing I've noticed is sometimes when this has happened i've effectively been rolling the car back on a three point turn and engine has been at idling speed, if you rev it a little then it makes a difference, but aren't they meant to raise the rev's anyway when the power steering pump detects movement of the wheel?

Mine's in for a service in the next few weeks so may ask them to look into it.

I'm in agreement with Thermal, the power steering is meant to get light at parking speeds then 'tone down' at speeds, theory being that you get more 'feel' from the handling, BUT, you've raised something I've thought my car is suffering from too. Sometimes at parking speeds it takes a lot of effort to turn the wheel and you can feel the steering 'bog down' and there's no linear movement to spinning the wheel around.

One thing I've noticed is sometimes when this has happened i've effectively been rolling the car back on a three point turn and engine has been at idling speed, if you rev it a little then it makes a difference, but aren't they meant to raise the rev's anyway when the power steering pump detects movement of the wheel?

Mine's in for a service in the next few weeks so may ask them to look into it.

Geordie,

You have uncannily accurately described the symptons i have experienced and would recommend that when you ask the dealer to look at the issue they are requested to speak directly to Toyota technical as this is apparently a reported issue. I hope that this problem is not linked to the reported American Corolla power steering fault as we may be in for a long wait.

I have sent a mail to Toyota customer relations outlining the problem and requesting that they collect the car for urgent repair. I will report back with any updates.

Geordie best of luck.

..pump ..

Hi,

Power steering on the model T27 (on the market since early 2009) is fully electric.

There are no hydraulics and no pump.

Just a quick update, the dealer and Toyota have recognised the fault which has been confirmed as being the subject of several Toyota Technical Bulletins. The car will be returned to the dealer this week for an extended period to permit a full test and subsequent repair.

Report on conclusion/resolution will follow :thumbsup:

• 2 years later...

Did you get anywhere with this ? My Avensis 1.8 petrol is showing similar issues and Lister Coventry want to replace the steering column, They cant replicate the fault and cant find any technical bulletins. All done on warranty on Friday should be

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links