Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Problem

smash89

Hi Guys, I'm just wandering if any of you could help me out with a few problems I have been having with my corolla.

It's a: 1998 Toyota Corolla 1.6 SR (Engine Code: 4AFE) (Chassis Code: AE111R).

When the engine is cold it is really jerky when going on and off the throttle and it also hesitates (push throttle down and it stutters/misfires slightly), when it's warm it's not as bad but is still jerky.

The car idles up and down a lot, sometimes it nearly cuts out and it has a few times which is irratating at junctions.

The car is also returning really bad MPG, i'm lucky if I can get 20 miles to the gallon which is costing me a bomb to run especially with todays petrol prices. (over fuelling)

So far I have fitted a new lambda sensor and new spark plugs. All fluids are topped up oil, water etc. I have checked for error codes by bridging the 2 wires on the diagnostics port and it should up with no errors.

Any help would be appritiated.

Martin.

Maybe it is struggling to go because it's on warm-up? You should allow an engine to run for a few minutes until it drops down to idle.

As said before, check all vacuum hoses etc but Maybe you are asking too much of it in cold weather?

I can see why it's annoying mate, but just a couple of minutes should have it warm and ready. :D

has your car got a coil pack and if so have you checked them? can often make the car run very rough if one of the coils are gone

thanks for the quick replies.

I always let my cars warm up but it shouldn't be this bad.

It's got a dizzy and ht leads.

I have had a brief look over the vacuum pipes but I will have another look over when i've got some time.

I have had a brief look over the vacuum pipes but I will have another look over when i've got some time.

This happened with my mates Fezza, and she just kept driving it and keeping revs slightly higher at roundabouts and it was fine after a while. It stopped the sputtering and it has been fine ever since. :yes:

I reckon it is going to be one of those unexplainable things that goes away and you never find out what caused it.

This happened with my mates Fezza, and she just kept driving it and keeping revs slightly higher at roundabouts and it was fine after a while. It stopped the sputtering and it has been fine ever since. :yes:

I reckon it is going to be one of those unexplainable things that goes away and you never find out what caused it.

I don't think it's going to go away to be honest. I've had idleing problems before with my old civic, it's usually just a sticky IACV due to it not being driven for a while, after a decent amount of driving it went back to normal. I think the problem on my corolla is a bit more serious than that.

Hi Guys, I'm just wandering if any of you could help me out with a few problems I have been having with my corolla.

When the engine is cold it is really jerky when going on and off the throttle and it also hesitates (push throttle down and it stutters/misfires slightly), when it's warm it's not as bad but is still jerky.

The car idles up and down a lot, sometimes it nearly cuts out and it has a few times which is irratating at junctions.

The car is also returning really bad MPG, i'm lucky if I can get 20 miles to the gallon which is costing me a bomb to run especially with todays petrol prices. (over fuelling)

So far I have fitted a new lambda sensor and new spark plugs. All fluids are topped up oil, water etc. I have checked for error codes by bridging the 2 wires on the diagnostics port and it should up with no errors.

Martin.

hi Martin

have you cleaned MAF sensor?

Cheers/Igor

Martin.

hi Martin

have you cleaned MAF sensor?

Cheers/Igor

Hi,

No I havn't cleaned it yet but I did think that the MAF sensor could be one of the problems. I will have a try at that on the weekend.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Still havn't solved the problem yet.

I've cleaned the MAF sensor, throttle body and checked the vacuum lines but couldn't find anything.

I had the car's emmisions checked earlier and here are the results:

CO = 2.51% (way over)

HC = 234 ppm (way over)

CO2 = 13.32%

O2 = 0.20%

Lambda = 0.931

Oil Temp = 16 Deg C

RPM = 2720

Has anyone got any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

before you go spending more money check the "health" of the engine - as in do a compression test. you've already done the obvious like maf and changed the lambda (did you test the old one before changing?). but as mentioned the idle up and down could indicate vac leak - check the condition of all hoses by bending them to show degradation. have you tested the iacv yet?