Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch Replaced, Speedo Failure!

avensispwner

Hi all, I'm new here and found this forum looking for a cure to my avensis's ailment.

Its an 02 plate 2.0vvti. The clutch fried on it after 130k so replaced it with a new one, but now the speedo wont work! I took the gearbox out the other day, disconnecting the speedo drive on top of the gearbox for its removal. After putting in the new clutch all is well appart from the speedo wont work and the engine management light came on. I disconnected the Battery for a while to see if that helped, but it only made the engine management light go out, which i suspect will turn back on after a few miles with no speedo.

Any thoughts? And yes i plugged it back in! I also checked there was power on ignition on one of the wires, and continuity on the switch when pressed in.

So confuuuuuuuuused!

Hi all, I'm new here and found this forum looking for a cure to my avensis's ailment.

Its an 02 plate 2.0vvti. The clutch fried on it after 130k so replaced it with a new one, but now the speedo wont work! I took the gearbox out the other day, disconnecting the speedo drive on top of the gearbox for its removal. After putting in the new clutch all is well appart from the speedo wont work and the engine management light came on. I disconnected the battery for a while to see if that helped, but it only made the engine management light go out, which i suspect will turn back on after a few miles with no speedo.

Any thoughts? And yes i plugged it back in! I also checked there was power on ignition on one of the wires, and continuity on the switch when pressed in.

So confuuuuuuuuused!

Forgive me if I am wrong, but what you described, " I also checked there was power on ignition on one of the wires, and continuity on the switch when pressed in." sounds more like the reverse light switch to me. Would the speedo drive have a switch to press in?

I reckon I've been a right ninny and done just that. Where is the speedo sensor/driver located? Im used to fixing my classic cars and this is my first modern!

I reckon I've been a right ninny and done just that. Where is the speedo sensor/driver located? Im used to fixing my classic cars and this is my first modern!

Not right sure on the Avensis without having a root around under mine (it's dark and raining). Others I have come accross have been in the usual place near the driveshaft and have been either a Hall effect sensor (3 wires) or an induction pulse sensor (2 wires).

I suppose it's possible for it to not be on the gearbox and be driven via the abs sensors, I'm sorry not to be more help but I don't know how Toyota do it.

Hopefully someone else will know and reply.

Its an 02 plate 2.0vvti. The clutch fried on it after 130k so replaced it with a new one

Hi,

Was interested that you had replaced you clutch yourself - while having a mot the other week and chatting to the tester he showed me in the pit, quote "how easy " it was to whip out the driveshafts , drop out the gearbox and replace the clutch.

Can I ask how you did it, do you have a pit or lift ? and how did you support the gear box as you lift it in and out while guiding the shaft, ( no real idea how much a modern gear box /dif weighs, the last time I lifted one was from a triumph herald 12/50 )

thanks

Hi,

Was interested that you had replaced you clutch yourself - while having a mot the other week and chatting to the tester he showed me in the pit, quote "how easy " it was to whip out the driveshafts , drop out the gearbox and replace the clutch.

Can I ask how you did it, do you have a pit or lift ? and how did you support the gear box as you lift it in and out while guiding the shaft, ( no real idea how much a modern gear box /dif weighs, the last time I lifted one was from a triumph herald 12/50 )

thanks

I did it by pulling the drivers side shaft out from the hub, then the gb. removed the shaft from the passenger side hub, then disconnected everything, undid the starter motor and bellhousing bolts. This was all on a lift btw, then supported the engine with an engine lift, then pulled the gb comeplete with passenger side shaft out. I managed it but im like pretty strong, had a mate lift it in with me. you could do it with a pit and jack, or probably on some ramps

well i fixed it, im a total idiotas it happens. one 3pin black connector, out of view from the top, above where the drivers side shaft goes in, tadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

thanks guys

well i fixed it, im a total idiotas it happens. one 3pin black connector, out of view from the top, above where the drivers side shaft goes in, tadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

thanks guys

Glad you got it sorted, just had a look at mine to see if I could be any more help. The usual speedo drive place looks to be blanked off but there is a connector very close by with wires either side dissapearing out of view, I presume that this is the one you found.

Presumably with it being a 3 pin connector, it is a Hall Effect sensor on the end of the wires. :thumbsup:

thanks guys

3 Connector was the Speed sensor.

On the older gearboxs it uses a little cog to calculate the speed.