Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2004 Rav4 Alarm System

bzgirl

I'm sure I'm not the only toyota owner that has encountered this problem but here goes....first off, it seemed like my lights would now and again flicker at night while riding down the highway. I thought it was my imagination, guess not. Anyways, i got in my car a few mornings ago and started it...it kinda drug but started and i noticed my daughter had left the back interior lights on so i figure no biggy. Then, the next 2 mornings it did the same thing. Day before yesterday I tried 2 start it and it turned over once, then ticked as 2 say the Battery didn't have enough juice 2 start it. So, I first disconnected the negative cable from the Battery, saw some corrosion, and proceeded to clean it. Once that was done, now comes the fun part, I reconnected the cable, and the alarm came on. I tried so many different things 2 get it 2 stop but nothing worked. It would eventually go off on itz own, but then the car wouldn't even attempt 2 start. I don't have the keyless entry remote, and I know the key is supposed 2 work all that the same, but nothing has worked...except for me unplugging a thing from the Battery that disables almost everything. but the alarm stays off..then i reconnect it in order to drive but as soon as i kill the car it sounds again...fun fun fun. I'm a single mother trying to do it by myself the easiest cheapest way possible, and i would greatly appreciate any and all advice that one can throw my way. Process and elimination is on my agenda. Thanks so much

I'm sure I'm not the only toyota owner that has encountered this problem but here goes....first off, it seemed like my lights would now and again flicker at night while riding down the highway. I thought it was my imagination, guess not. Anyways, i got in my car a few mornings ago and started it...it kinda drug but started and i noticed my daughter had left the back interior lights on so i figure no biggy. Then, the next 2 mornings it did the same thing. Day before yesterday I tried 2 start it and it turned over once, then ticked as 2 say the battery didn't have enough juice 2 start it. So, I first disconnected the negative cable from the battery, saw some corrosion, and proceeded to clean it. Once that was done, now comes the fun part, I reconnected the cable, and the alarm came on. I tried so many different things 2 get it 2 stop but nothing worked. It would eventually go off on itz own, but then the car wouldn't even attempt 2 start. I don't have the keyless entry remote, and I know the key is supposed 2 work all that the same, but nothing has worked...except for me unplugging a thing from the battery that disables almost everything. but the alarm stays off..then i reconnect it in order to drive but as soon as i kill the car it sounds again...fun fun fun. I'm a single mother trying to do it by myself the easiest cheapest way possible, and i would greatly appreciate any and all advice that one can throw my way. Process and elimination is on my agenda. Thanks so much

Hi and welcome to the club.

Sorry to hear of your problem and afraid I am unable to help but there will no doubt be someone along who will. To give them a pointer or two it would help if you supply some details of your RAV i.e. model, year etc.

I wish you luck in your quest :thumbsup:

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the problems, I am sure if you put the Battery on charge and then try again it may solve your problem.

Looks as though the Battery has been flattened by the combination of the light being left on added to which it may not have have been fully recharged in the past due to the Battery corrosion. Now you are left with a very low terminal voltage that may not allow the alarm etc to reset and worsens as soon as you try to start the car.. the clicks are the starter solenoid dropping in and out due to lack of battery voltage to hold it in...

Hope this helps and good luck on getting her going again.

You could try a jump lead start of a friendly neighbour, if you do, take the car for a reasonable run preferably without any electrics on ie heater, lights...etc so that all the charge while running will go into the battery.

Cheers

John

You should have 2 buttons on the remote. Go and stand near the car and press and hold both buttons until the indicators flash twice. Then try as normal.

If it doesn't work come back to us.

Welcome to the club and well done for doing what you've done so far, I'm impressed.

You should have 2 buttons on the remote. Go and stand near the car and press and hold both buttons until the indicators flash twice. Then try as normal.

Welcome to the club and well done for doing what you've done so far, I'm impressed.

Thanks. I no longer have a remote. The owner's manual says that the key, once put in the ignition will work the same. My brother-in-law is coming over later...says he knows what to do. They own a rav as well. Fingers crossed and thamks again and just in case, I'm still open for suggestions.

Thanks. I no longer have a remote. The owner's manual says that the key, once put in the ignition will work the same. My brother-in-law is coming over later...says he knows what to do. They own a rav as well. Fingers crossed and thamks again and just in case, I'm still open for suggestions.

The trouble is that your US versions don't share many of the auxiliaries. Can I suggest you pose the same question on the US site as they may well be familiar;

http://rav4world.com/forums/index.php

Keep in touch with us though!!!