Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 Mk1 Model

dennisj

Hi,

I have been working hard trying to persuade my 18 year old daughter to change her saxo for a Rav 4, the Mk1 looks a bit funkier than the later models.

The issue is that she works at a stable yard........ in the middle of the sticks...... and gets paid the minimum wage rate so has very little spare cash, so is the 1.8 any good, what kind of fuel economy can she expect and are they reliable.

If there is a better model (bearing in mind limited funds) I would appreciate your experience, knowledge and thoughts.

Regards.

Hi Dennis - welcome to the club.

Have a llok at this and tell us which model you mean;

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=91067

I think you might mean the 4.2. Its a great car, very reliable and well built but its only a 2WD and if she needs a 4WD for her job she will have to have a 2 litre. Its just as well because 1.8s are rare as dobby horse poo.

If I'm brutally honest she might be better with a Daihatsu Terios to start with. Built like a tank, 4WD and the early ones have a very affordable 1.3 Yaris engine.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article824049.ece

If you (because if you are anything like me you will be funding a significant part of all this!) can afford a later one with the 1.5 engine then better still this really is a superb little car;

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/firstdrives/200309/daihatsu_terios.html

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

When I bought my RAV4 back in 1994, it was insured for the brats as well... and at 1998cc + being a fast wee car, insurance wasn't cheap.. in these healthy living days, compare it to the cost of using a horse and then weigh up the pros and cons!

Thank you for the welcome anchorman, if I am successful you will see my daughter here quite frequently as she is involved with her cars, (there is a lot of boy racer in her).

That would be the problem with the Daihatsu Terios SX, it lacks image, her present saxo is black, tinted windows, lowered suspension, flared arches with wide white OZZ alloys, see pic attached.post-92303-126998198761_thumb.jpg

I do not doubt that the RAV would get similar love and attention but she would be inclined to agree with Clarkson's summing up of the Daihatsu, not very interesting and lets get to the pub.

Thank you for the info about the 1.8 not being 4 wheel drive, as it is the snow conditions in the country lanes that motivates the RAV interest. The model in mind would be the 4.1 as it is funkier, the 4.2 is a nice looking car but maybe a bit more staid, at a pinch the diesel bonnet scoop could do the trick if that is the better car.

Oh and yes I will be contributing to the cost........again!

Dennis.

Hi bothwell,

It takes a long time to persuade a horse out of the stable on a cold morning and being steel shod they are useless in the snow.

regards.

2 litre only then Dennis. There are some real nice ones about and you can get 5 door or girl racer 3 doors. There is a red one on here somewhere owned by smiler AS - just have a quick look for it.