Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New T Sport Issues? Are They Normal?

talboy

HI all,

I have had my ftsh CTS 2005 for just over a week now and travelled about 200 miles so far with city and motorway driving, i have noticed a few things which i am a little worried about but since i only got it a week ago i might be able to get the dealer to sort them now?

Firstly the clutch squeeks!! on pressing down and releasing sopunds like it is squeeking a little?

When driving at higher revs 6-8 and i change gear or even just opush the clutch in the clutch pedal has bit of a vibration to it like it can feel the cogs spinning?

The horn is really girly!? like a gentle beep!

the idle is sometimes 1200 or just below 1000 and sometimes moves up and down but not too frequently...

the idle noise of the car engine isnn't the quietest.. has the sound of a quiet diesel ticking over? my 54 ford focus 1.6 was almost silent...

what i would like to know is if these are normal attributes of this car or do i need to go back and put the dealer in a headlock until they fix my car?

Other than that, i absolutly adore the car its perfect for my needs... fast when you want it to be calm when you dont and attractes wierd looks from people in more expensive cars when they struggle to pull away from you!

Clutch squeek is normal, its the slave cylinder, a bit of WD40 should fix it (think theres a thread on it a few below this one)

Not sure about the clutch vibration, mine doesnt do that.

Get yourself a dixie horn for it!

It rev's quite high when cold, about 1300 rpm, then drops to about 800 when idle and warm.

Has it had a service recently? i dont think mine is too loud, but that may be because i have got used to it.

Glad to hear your enjoying it, has it had any modifications on it? or is it standard?

All standard, iv never really modified a car before so not sure where to start or wether i am into that kind of things... ideally i would like to lower the car a little as from stock there is stilla little bit of a gap between wheels and arches and i think it looks much better when a little lower...

that said i have no idea how much it would cost and i am not prepared to spend £500+ on appearance issues as i think the car looks pretrty good as is...

Also thought about performance upgrades intakes and the like but i dont want to increase the volume of the car....

As mentioned by rallyfan, when was the last service?

Mine has been idling at 1800 due to the auto choke, then settles to 1200 then 800 once the opt. temperature has been reached.

Maybe a service will sort this out, a oil change can work wonders

Do you have a induction kit at all?

Yes the horn is girly, so prefer the windows down fingers out approach

There is thread way down the line on how different methods to cure the squeaking clutch, but the only permanent one is to have the master cylinder replaced.

Glad your enjoying the car, are you coming to the next pod visit?

car was serviced before i picked it up so about 300 miles ago i guess?

Not sure about Santa Pod it seems quite far away im in west london... But i have been thinking about going on a track day as i have never done one before and it could be quite good fun i recon...

When you guys go to santa pod do you all change your tyres and brakes etc after or does it not cause any damage to the car?

Don't sound any different to any other comments on the ts appart from the clutch vibration, don't like the sound of that.

Idle can be quite high if very cold usual is about 1200rpm but drops to about 800rpm when warm.

Don't sound any different to any other comments on the ts appart from the clutch vibration, don't like the sound of that.

Could anyone check for me on their cars please? literally if you drive in second or third at 6krpm and then puch the clutch in its not a violent vibration but you can feel that something is spinning and you get a soft vibration from it?

Id like to have this sorted if its an issue which is likely to develop as i am under warranty at the moment for a year so this would definately be a warranty item especially if i report it after a week?

Not sure about Santa Pod it seems quite far away im in west london... But i have been thinking about going on a track day as i have never done one before and it could be quite good fun i recon...

When you guys go to santa pod do you all change your tyres and brakes etc after or does it not cause any damage to the car?

I live near Watford and love going to Santa Pod (probably about an hour's drive door to door for me), but people travel from all over the world - like Leeds! ;)

As for tyres and breaks etc, our cars don't shred tyres as they aren't really powerful enough - unless you insist on doing burnouts which again is pretty pointless in our cars. Brakes don't really get used either as it is a straight line drag with a long run-off at the end before you turn off, so brakes don't get battered. The main issue will be the clutch really, but no one out of the people here who go to Pod have done any serious damage to their clutches that has needed them to be replaced.

Haha gotta love the toyota horn

vibrating clutch sounds like the thrust bearing may be worn? If thats all it is then its nothing major and shouldn't really get any worse. Although maybe should get a garage to check it out if its bothering you. The clutch doesn't slip or anything does it?

The clutch in the T Sport is just the standard one that is put into all the other corollas, not sure why toyota did this especially in such a high revving car. When the clutch eventually gets replaced maybe should request an uprated clutch, just so that it'll last longer

I live near Watford and love going to Santa Pod (probably about an hour's drive door to door for me), but people travel from all over the world - like Leeds! ;)

As for tyres and breaks etc, our cars don't shred tyres as they aren't really powerful enough - unless you insist on doing burnouts which again is pretty pointless in our cars. Brakes don't really get used either as it is a straight line drag with a long run-off at the end before you turn off, so brakes don't get battered. The main issue will be the clutch really, but no one out of the people here who go to Pod have done any serious damage to their clutches that has needed them to be replaced.

Seriously...i wouldnt drag the car much stock the clutch is one thing which are really weak. the transmission is worse! All those launches and first to second shifts. The gearboxes are weak the syncros are like the size of an oreo LOL.

Its only really a matter of time before someone starts to see damage, i read a post earlier ricc was having slight issues with the gears not going in etc i would be careful as the c60 and c64 are known to be real weak for these engines.

Haha gotta love the toyota horn

vibrating clutch sounds like the thrust bearing may be worn? If thats all it is then its nothing major and shouldn't really get any worse. Although maybe should get a garage to check it out if its bothering you. The clutch doesn't slip or anything does it?

Dont think the clutch is slippuing at all, the bite is fairly high and i have stalled a couple of times but put this down to getting used to it i guess....

Ill get toyota to have a look at it but since it only happens at high revs probably hard to prove its an issue... i would like to get an many parts changed under warranty as possible tho.. a new uprated clutch would be nice!!

JUst spoke to the dealer, was really helpful... said that if it is a fauklt of the clutch then it will be repaird on warranty anyway so i just njeed to get it seen by them... and also said that i can take it to any Currie Motors which is great as there is one near my house....

Found them to be really friendly actyually very good personal service... maybe its because they dont often sell t sports i guess so he remembers me??

Definatley thrust bearing, mine does it also. needs to be replaced.

when its proper knackered you may hear a whine type sound when you dip the clutch to change gear at low speed.

Seriously...i wouldnt drag the car much stock the clutch is one thing which are really weak. the transmission is worse! All those launches and first to second shifts. The gearboxes are weak the syncros are like the size of an oreo LOL.

Its only really a matter of time before someone starts to see damage, i read a post earlier ricc was having slight issues with the gears not going in etc i would be careful as the c60 and c64 are known to be real weak for these engines.

first and second gear issues lasted for 15 mins and they are at least 2000 miles ago now. car hasnt missed a beat or put a foot wrong since. it took a thorough battering last night and it performed like you would'nt believe.

the cars are way more capable than people give them credit. treat the clutch with respect, let the gearbox warm up, and it WILL cope with drag racing/track days. trust me. if it doesnt, stop driving it like you stole it, learn to press the clutch pedal in and stop doing full throttle gear shifts lol. :D

first and second gear issues lasted for 15 mins and they are at least 2000 miles ago now. car hasnt missed a beat or put a foot wrong since. it took a thorough battering last night and it performed like you would'nt believe.

the cars are way more capable than people give them credit. treat the clutch with respect, let the gearbox warm up, and it WILL cope with drag racing/track days. trust me. if it doesnt, stop driving it like you stole it, learn to press the clutch pedal in and stop doing full throttle gear shifts lol. :D

Getting it all warmed up and everything is pretty much standard procedure. The transmissions are weak though and its only a matter of time before they go pop.

The ratios dont allow a first to second change yes its possible but it will cause wear if its continued. If you really want a good simple set up for drag racing only then a short ratio gearbox would make life easier and be safer on the gears.

shorter ratio box would be worse. youd end up with an extra gear shift and you woulndt really get going....were gonna have to agree to dissagree again. BUT, you may well join me in saying 6th is USELESS! it isnt long enough to be a cruising gear and return a decent mpg on long journeys. lol

the kaaz and cone are great they keep u in lift i cnt type my hand got sliced at work today so i havce stitches bt ill agree 6th is useless lol]]

shorter ratio box would be worse. youd end up with an extra gear shift and you woulndt really get going....were gonna have to agree to dissagree again. BUT, you may well join me in saying 6th is USELESS! it isnt long enough to be a cruising gear and return a decent mpg on long journeys. lol

6th is completely useless, as is 5th tbh but for a different reason. These are far from comfortable motorway cruisers imo, 4000revs whining away and pretty bad road noise on top. My recent tyre change has helped, but the lack of sound deadening is just down to Jap build quality I guess.

6th is completely useless, as is 5th tbh but for a different reason. These are far from comfortable motorway cruisers imo, 4000revs whining away and pretty bad road noise on top. My recent tyre change has helped, but the lack of sound deadening is just down to Jap build quality I guess.

I can't believe your complaining about the sound proofing, You should try driving a 106!! You'd think the French drive on marshmallow roads with the level of proofing the have (or don't have) in their cars!

Must agree on 6th gear tho, the first time I used 6th gear I was gutted when the rev's hardly dropped from 5th, I wouldn't say it spoils the drive tho... now doing 80 on the motorway in a Subaru impreza is annoying