Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fog Lights

kirstiey

Hi

I have a Toyota Yaris 2006 5 door T Spirit. It has normal headlights and then small round lights underneath.

Inside the car I have the lever which I can twist the end forward for the main headlights (one twist = half beam, twist again main beam). If I push the stick forward I get full beam (Very bright)

I also have a ribbed section further down on the stick which if i twist once the small lights at the bottom come on. I can twist it a bit further to a higher setting but the smaller light don't get any brighter...therefore what is the point of the two settings? Is this meant to be full on fog lights?

Very confused, please help / explain.

Be aware that its illegal to have your front fog lights on if you can see more than 100 metres....

(Wouldn't want you to get a ticket......)

If the front fog lights are properly aligned and don’t dazzle oncoming road users, I have no problem with drivers using them.

I use mine in built up busy areas so I can be seen. I can see more than 100 metres, problem is the other fools can’t always see me, hence having my fogs on :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

If the front fog lights are properly aligned and don’t dazzle oncoming road users, I have no problem with drivers using them.

I use mine in built up busy areas so I can be seen. I can see more than 100 metres, problem is the other fools can’t always see me, hence having my fogs on :thumbsup:

You may not have a problem but the law does.

If it is illegal then it IS illegal.

However I have never heard of anyone being charged with an offence but this is no guarantee that PC Plod may take offence if you commit some other offence first.

Agree with reece on this, i would think common sense is the key issue here. If by using front fogs makes your car stand out more in built up areas where there is children playing, pedestrians walking ect, that surely must be good common sense and i can't imagine any Police Officer throwing a ticket at that. After all, your just making yourself more visible to avoid accidents.

I can imagine not all Police Officers will agree with that theory though. :rolleyes:

I think people who have their fog lights on when it isn't foggy are stupid gits. Sure its great for the driver of the car with the fog lights on, helps his visibility and all that but it doesn't help anybody else! A lot of people are dazzled, confused and outright annoyed by it.

Its illegal for a reason! Police/Government would make a hell of a lot more revenue from on the spot fines for people having their for lights on when it isn't foggy than speeding fines I bet!

You may not have a problem but the law does.

If it is illegal then it IS illegal.

So is de-catting your exhaust, but nobody bats an eyelid at that one!

Factory fitted front fog lights don’t dazzle, and I have no problem with people having them on.

I will use mine depending on the road/area/amount of hazards (as in people!) at night on unlit roads and obviously in fog.

The rear ones are a pain in the a$$ though, especially when people forget to turn them off.

u realy are a prat fogs do dazzle not matter how thier aligned,and if they dont dazzle you its time for an eye test! and the front ones are brighter than the back so if they're a prob surely the front ones must be! hence the reason its ilegal, and how can u compare it to a de-cat completly different situation

u realy are a prat fogs do dazzle not matter how thier aligned,and if they dont dazzle you its time for an eye test! and the front ones are brighter than the back so if they're a prob surely the front ones must be! hence the reason its ilegal, and how can u compare it to a de-cat completly different situation

Calm down new boy!!! :lol:

I agree with Terkin on this one, mate. Fog lights should only be used when its foggy.

Quote "The rear ones are a pain in the a$$ though, especially when people forget to turn them off".

Reece same goes here my friend with respect to the front ones.

Lighting requirements (113-116)

You MUST NOT

•use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders

•use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226)

In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.

You should also

•use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen

•keep your headlights dipped when overtaking until you are level with the other vehicle and then change to main beam if necessary, unless this would dazzle oncoming road users

•slow down, and if necessary stop, if you are dazzled by oncoming headlights

Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic. Never use them as an excuse for dangerous or illegal parking. You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed.

All this makes sense when You think about others not just yourself.

Surley these Forums are for like minded people to interchange ideas and information.

Just my 5 pees woth. ( was 2ps worth till inflation got the better of me)

Ray

I will still use my front fogs when necessary in built up undesirable areas and dark unlit country roads, they don’t dazzle oncoming road users as they are factory fitted and properly aligned :thumbsup:

Do you think the police will care what explanation you have when they pull you over and fine you? It is illegal and that’s that.

The chances of getting pulled over by the Police are slim to none, and slim has just left town! :lol:

Be aware that its illegal to have your front fog lights on if you can see more than 100 metres....

(Wouldn't want you to get a ticket......)

oh i may keep mine on the whole time so, iam bland as a bat, haha

technically nobody has proper fog lights at all, proper ones are yellow, i cant believe its illegal for yous to have them on, thats funny, but what that lad was saying is that a decat is illegal but cops dont do anything as its sooo minor, fog lights are the same, minor.....

but i have no hassle whatsoever with people using them as long are they are focused properly as said before.

and me good man, dont know what your harping on about or weather your driving a go-kart and sitting on the ground but 99% of fogs lights dont blind or dazzle, onw main car that does is the 99-03 micra, they blind me fair enough.

but up untill i got my hids i used my fogs morning, noon and night and not 1 gard would tell me otherwise, we have many adverts over here from our road safety authority urging people to keep their lights on during the day to be seen so always have mine on, nowadays its just hid dip headlight :thumbsup: