Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica Sr Rear Brake Clunking

Alanex

Hi all,

Last year, my 6th Gen Celica SR developed a clunking sound from the rear passenger wheel. Slowly applying the handbrake while moving would stop or reduce the clunking. Local garage replaced the handbrake cable(s) which were rusted and sticking. Within a day or 2 of getting it back it started again though less severe. I removed the wheel, caliper and disc then blew it out with some air. Problem solved. Then, last week, I personally removed the 2 rear wheels to take them for new tyres (I don't trust the local tyre fitters!). When I put the wheels back on the car I had the clunking noise again. I've removed it all and blew it out again, but this time it hasn't stopped.

So, firstly, has anyone else had this problem?

Secondly, the disc seems to have a bit of movement but there's no way to stop this as there's nothing to hold the disc tight, other than the wheel??

There are 2 holes (probably for torx?) but there's no screws and no where to screw into on the hub. Unfortunately, the snow (yes, it's March 31st, I know) has prevented me from checking the other wheel. So I'm just wondering if the disc is correct and whether there's a chance it's warped in some way because of the rubbing before the cable was replaced. There is a possibility that I've been driving it for a bit with the brake shoes just touching. The garage said the brake shoe coating had started to break off, possibly due to it rubbing on the inner disc. I suppose the other option is that it's the pads or caliper, but they all seem to be ok.

Any ideas? Or can anyone confirm the lack of torx or even if this is the wrong discs? Not sure when they were replaced, possibly before I got the car.

Cheers,

Alan

I would have said it was likely badly adjusted handbrake cables, the adjuster is sorted through the disc, there should be a rubber grommet covering it (one of the holes). It's highly likely the friction material could have broken up if it was badly adjusted

these are ST205 rear brakes, the big hole is where the grommet should be. I didn't have any torx holding the disc on

DSCF5143.jpg

Thanks for the reply, that's pretty much the same as mine. I don't have a gromet though, but the hole is definitely there.

The garage did say that the original noise was because of the cable not releasing due to the rust, so it makes sense that it's not adjusted properly. Unfortunately the garage insisted it was adjusted right when I went back to them last year, they didn't seem to want to fix it, so that's why I took it apart myself. Just not sure why it's back after I removed the wheel. Never adjusted the handbrake cable before but I'll give it a try and see. Cheers!

where abouts in Scotland are you mate?

could easily give you a hand.

you need the hole lined up with the adjuster whell/cog then it's just a case of turning it, best to use an old flat head screwdriver, turn it till the shoe makes contact with the drum then turn it back 8 times (if i remember correctly) do the same on the other side and that should be you bud :thumbsup:

I'm in Motherwell, bit of a trek just to turn a screwdriver :)

Sounds easy enough, I'll give it a try. If I can't get it and you're not busy at the weekend, I'll maybe give you a shout?

Quick question tho, how will I know when the shoes are on the drum? Does it tighten up or is it just a case of checking if the disc spins? You can tell I'm fairly new to this, huh? Despite buying an old Rover Mini 2 years ago; stripping the engine out; putting it back and now I can't even turn a little wheel/cog! heh

If the other side is fine, am I best to leave it alone?

Cheers for the help

I've just taken it all off again to look. I think I can now see exactly what the problem is, but I don't know why or how to fix it.

With the disc off I applied the hand brake, the bottom end of the shoes (where the adjuster is) get pulled toward the front of the car and the top end of the shoes separate like they should. When I release the hand brake, the shoes close again at the top but the bottom end of the shoes remain roughly to one side and therefore would be scraping on the drum. Is something supposed to hold the bottom of the shoes in place? I see 2 small spring clips through the shoes, one is kinda tight, the other moves about a bit, are they supposed to hold them tightly?

I tried to take photos of before and after, but without getting the angle properly, it doesn't look that much different.

post-92390-127012614006_thumb.jpg

So I took another photo, you can see from the rust areas where the bottom of the shoes are scraping. I've showed in red the position of the shoes before applying the hand brake and in green where they end up after applying the hand brake. The problem seems to be that the bottom of the shoes don't 1) stay where they are in the first place, or 2) don't return to where they were and therefore they scrape/rub on the drum. Any ideas?

Hi Alan

I've got exactly the same problem with my Gen 6 (ST202). The knocking noise first occurred last year but went away after I cleared out quite a large build up of brake dust.

Doesn't seem to have done the trick this time. I had thought sticking brake cable might be the problem, but your experience suggests otherwise. When looking at it esrlier today must admit I was a bit worried/suprised that with the drum off the shoes float quite freely at the bottom (unlike the top when they are located on the cam). I assumed that with the drum on this effectively locates them in place.

Other possibly relevant things. I had the parking shoes replaced last year. I tried to do it myself but could not get the drum back on. The garage managed it but only after grinding some metal off the (pattern) shoes. Apparentlty the half moon that located the shoes on the cam was slightly too small so the shoes were sitting proud. They are still a snug fit. Not rubbing but the adjuster is fully backed off and only takes a couple of clicks to bind. Also, one of the springs at the bottom of the shoes looks like it has been stretched.

Keep is posted if you manage to resolve this

Cheers

Alan H

Well I got handbrake cables replaced at the weekend (and as part of this shoes were adjusted). So far so good - driven over 300 miles and no clunking :thumbsup:

hey guys,

I seem to have this same problem i think?

when i apply my handbrake on a hill ive got to put quite a bit of bite on for it to hold. when i release it, the car doesnt roll, it will kind of slowly ease away and i sometimes get a metallic screeching.

fairly sure its the handbrake binding on, but after a little driving there is no sign it ever occured. there is no heat from any of the discs (a sign of further binding) but i do feel a little as though im pushing it lately. the speedo drops off quicker than usual or im just imagining it.

any thoughts, or do you think i have the same issue?

edit - alan, how much did the cable replace set you back?

• 4 months later...

i have this same issue ive changed everything even the 3 over priced springs and still knocking ive given up with it pads,handbrake cable, spings and discs all changed it stops for a while then comes back there is a adjuster for the handbrake lever down in the centre console which sorted it for about 25 miles then clunk clunk clunk its deffo something to do with the way the shoes float as when u apply the handbrake the car can be pushed about a foot then it locks on and sometimes does not even work if the car rolls backwards

ps the springs from toyota where nearly 40 quid lol so dont be fooled into thinking its them mr toyota will say its them

• 5 months later...

Hi people, this is my first post :-)

I've got a similar problem with mine but not the handbrake. When I apply the footbrake I get a clunking..

I changed discs & pads which triggered it but I also had a bit of binding from the shoes when I got it back on the road.

I adjusted the shoes to grip then only slacken off 1 turn, now thinking that's caused the issue perhaps?

Any thoughts guys?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, Hope this helps you all out. I had the same problem with the rear knocking noise but it was a retaining spring that had disappeared.

Because of the brake set up in the ST202 you should never put the handbrake on when the car is in motion. It will move the assembly around and pieces then move.

I ordered a new set of brake springs and bits..etc.. from TCB Parts (£10) and then found it corrected the knocking noise when the ful set of springs where back on.

This problem also happens to BMW's...common fault.

So just dont put the handbrake on when your still moving then you wont get a clunking knocking noise.

Hope this helps.

Big E

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links