Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sluggish Avensis Diesel When Hot!

New2Toyota2009

I have a 2003 T3S D4D Avensis. The problem I'm having is that when the engine is up to operating temp the car is very very sluggish when pulling off and starts to develope "kangaroo syndrome" at times. When the power does eventually come back there is a puff of dirty (not black or white, just dirty grey/brown) smoke out of the exhaust, only for the power to drop next time I change gear.

It's just come out of the garage after being told it was the air flow metre. £200 and 2 days later the car is still doing the same thing as before!!

I must reiterate that when the car is cold it runs perfect. This problem only arises when the car is up to temp.

Any advice would be grately appreciated as I'm at the end of my tether and ready to get rid of the car altogether.

Many thanks in advance.

Des

I have a 2003 T3S D4D Avensis. The problem I'm having is that when the engine is up to operating temp the car is very very sluggish when pulling off and starts to develope "kangaroo syndrome" at times. When the power does eventually come back there is a puff of dirty (not black or white, just dirty grey/brown) smoke out of the exhaust, only for the power to drop next time I change gear.

It's just come out of the garage after being told it was the air flow metre. £200 and 2 days later the car is still doing the same thing as before!!

I must reiterate that when the car is cold it runs perfect. This problem only arises when the car is up to temp.

Any advice would be grately appreciated as I'm at the end of my tether and ready to get rid of the car altogether.

Many thanks in advance.

Des

I've just read through a couple of similar posts in this forum and the EGR valve seems to be mentioned quite a lot.

I've phoned my local Toyota garage and they quoted £400 parts and labour.

Any DIY ideas? I've looked at it but it looks like a really awkward part to remove.

Des

EGR valve can get blocked causing performance issues.

If you take the covers off your engine and the surrounding equipment and take a picture.

I will point out how to fix your problems :)

If you take the covers off your engine and the surrounding equipment and take a picture.

thanks cmia!

any help would be gratefully appreciated

post-88184-127022617141_thumb.jpg

post-88184-127022618853_thumb.jpg

post-88184-127022620497_thumb.jpg

post-88184-127022621757_thumb.jpg

post-88184-127022622997_thumb.jpg

thanks cmia!

i had a lot more free time tonight so ive been looking through more of these threads on the forums and im hopeful that i can get it sorted tomorrow. i should have access to a decent tool kit too which will help!!

thanks cmia!

The last pic, ***9, in the list has the top of the egr valve actuator visible. It's the pot with the black dot on it just above the green plastic trap in the picture.

thanks cmia!

The last pic, ***9, in the list has the top of the egr valve actuator visible. It's the pot with the black dot on it just above the green plastic trap in the picture.

sorted it today. took the airbox off with the base to it and the tubing to the turbo. took the pipes off connected to the egr. took out the one nut at the bottom, the 2 nuts at the top and the electrical connector. gave it a real good clean as it was pretty coked up. once it was all back together again took it for a spin and its as smooth as a new motor now. real smooth aceleration, no smoke, no lag, nothing. just what i was hoping for so many thanks to all who have contributed, not only to this thread but the other threads that i have read regarding this problem. without this forum i would cetainly be a few hundred quid out of pocket going to a dealer.

des