Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Squeal At 70Mph

Andy SR180

Just came back from the dealers for the pedal fix, but the car was also in for squealing brakes, since I got the car 14 months ago it has always

had slight squealing at slow speeds. But when driving on the motorway last week at 70 mph I started to hear a loud squealing noise without touching the brakes.

When I went back to collect the car they had done the pedal but said they didn't have time to do anything for the brakes and told me to book it back in for the disks and pads to be replaced under warranty. They told me it is just under the mileage limit for this.

The car has done just over 17k, has anyone else had loud squealing at high speeds ???

Thanks

Andy

Just came back from the dealers for the pedal fix, but the car was also in for squealing brakes, since I got the car 14 months ago it has always

had slight squealing at slow speeds. But when driving on the motorway last week at 70 mph I started to hear a loud squealing noise without touching the brakes.

When I went back to collect the car they had done the pedal but said they didn't have time to do anything for the brakes and told me to book it back in for the disks and pads to be replaced under warranty. They told me it is just under the mileage limit for this.

The car has done just over 17k, has anyone else had loud squealing at high speeds ???

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

I too had a squeal at high speeds took it to my local Toyota garage they replaced disks and pads and fitted a modified caliper.

My 1.4 d-4d has roughly 36k on the clocks dont know if it helps:thumbsup:

Gearoid

Hi

My car has done about 21500miles. I took it in to toyota and they said the front disks have a lip which is causing the squeal that i get. Do they replace disk and pads under warranty.

Whenever I start to hear wierd and wonderful noises while driving I use my patented fix.

volumex.jpg

Just crank the stereo up to max. Hey presto no more brake Squeal.

Whenever I start to hear wierd and wonderful noises while driving I use my patented fix.

Just crank the stereo up to max. Hey presto no more brake Squeal.

Agree :lol: If I was going back to the dealer with every squeaking and cracking in my Auris I would need another car for every day driving.

Hi

My car has done about 21500miles. I took it in to toyota and they said the front disks have a lip which is causing the squeal that i get. Do they replace disk and pads under warranty.

I had disks and pads replaced twice under warranty in the first year , replacing those parts did not cure the brake squeal , it returned soon after both times , only the new fix worked and is still working ...... well almost !!! the brake mooing sound returned a couple of months ago , but only when i reverse brake ... can live with that though .

Hi

"only the new fix worked and is still working ...... well almost !!!"

What does the new fix consist of as mine is going in on Wednesday for the third time. It would be good to pin down the dealer about what should be done.

Cheers

According to balli hi's old posts this is the stuff they should be doing :-

Hi , its not just new pads that they should be fitting its ..... caliper piston plate is removed, new metal pad shims are fitted and smeared with the thick Toyota grease on both sides and new pads with a wider groove and different profile/shape are fitted.

Mine is going in this week and I am going to mention this too, I will let you know how I get on...

Just came back from the dealer after they changed the front discs and pads under warranty, car was registered April 2008 and I bought it in December 2008 with 14 miles on the clock. It has now done 17,700 miles.

Problem is I can still hear the squealing even after a short drive, do the new discs/pads take a while to bed in ?

I don't think so since it didn't squeal when it was new.

Thanks,

Andy

Just came back from the dealer after they changed the front discs and pads under warranty, car was registered April 2008 and I bought it in December 2008 with 14 miles on the clock. It has now done 17,700 miles.

Problem is I can still hear the squealing even after a short drive, do the new discs/pads take a while to bed in ?

I don't think so since it didn't squeal when it was new.

Thanks,

Andy

First time mine went in they changed the front pads despite me telling them that the noise was from the back - no effect. Second time the rear nearside caliper was changed - slightly better. Third time the pads on the rear were changed - no squeal now but I haven't covered any great mileage yet. I'm almost sure that they've had a go at the slight ridge on the outer edge of the discs as well. I'd actually forgotten how nice the car was to drive without the squeal so I hope this is permanent.

Going down to Silverstone at the weekend so it'll have a good run then and we'll see what happens.

Update - 500 or so miles now and still no squeal (or am I tempting fate)??

I had squealing since I got Auris and I took it to service and I knew that they should change my brake pads under warranty and they did that. Also they said that it's model problem that pads squeal.

Maybe. But if you have warranty left, take it to the toyota service and you don't have to pay anything.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links