Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Sr 1.8

CorollaTS05

I can't work out why the sr has such a slow 0-60 time for it's power:weight? I have a cts and know for a fact the 0-60 time of 8.1 is way wrong, anyone think toyota might be pulling a fast one to keep the INS down? What do u owners think? Anyone put one up against the old ts? Just doesn't add up 131 bhp in a car that weighs 980kg and 9.0 secs, how could they mess that up so much, I'd expect more 8.2-8.5. Ive drove an sr but didn't get chance to boot it as the salesman was present. It has a better power to weight than the ts n cars like swift sport.

Please do not turn this topic into a "Mine is faster than yours" topic and remember TOC does not condone posts about "racing" on public roads!

There is no mension of racing on public roads in my post. I'm simply asking is the quoted 0-60 time for a yaris sr of 9.0secs accurate.

I can't understand how on here there is still very little interest if any in the yaris sr 1.8 (hence nobody replying to this post) very few ppl seem to have bought one on here. The yts seems to always have had a lot more interest on here even right from when it was new and there fairly similar cars interm of performance and running costs. I personaly like the sr 1.8 and am considering one. I thought it the sr would be quiet on here until it got older and cheaper but 3 years on and there still isn't many owners on here with them, I wonder why that is? It's basically the same car as the yts just an updated version 7 years on, why do you think the t sport has such a big following in comparison?

Higher road tax, not as economical as the newer versions and the production was measured in months and not years. The version of 1.8’s they used uses a lot of oil. It could have been a massive hit like the T-Sport if it had been tweaked right. If the engine and gear box were better then who knows.

People can’t afford expensive small cars anymore with fuel tax and insurance increases.

i thought the 1.8 sr was made from 07 - 09? i keep seeing 09 plate 1.8 sr on autotrader etc...?

i thought the 1.8 sr was made from 07 - 09? i keep seeing 09 plate 1.8 sr on autotrader etc...?

The last 1.8’s were in the December 2008 price lists; from January 2009 onwards they are no longer advertised so that would make them a 58.

Unless any have been sitting in storage and registered at a later date (March 2009 onwards)

There is no way the weight is 980kg becuase that is the same as the old one. I could be wrong but do not beleive the "SR" is is a replacement for TS. The SR just means spoiler and skirts just like the Auris SR? In the Auris range the T180 is sporty model. Same goes for the Verso.

That gives roughly...

108.86bhp per ton for the TS (980kg)

117.27bhp per ton for the SR (1135kg)

So it can not just be the weight because the extra 10% per ton on SR would still suggest 0-60 to be better.

Maybe it is the gearing? Maybe the the variable valve timing does not kick in early enough. I dont know. :help2:

I have one ! wooo 8-) coudlnt tell u y the stats are ****... and ive never really timed it but ive had 120mph out it... ive had the car a year now and added an air filter and back box alothough i dont think ive gained anythin with the induction kit :( Ive read tht ther is a facelift model with a 6 speed tranny (2009) same engine etc for more info you would really need to talk to CASTREX! He claims 7 sumthin seconds (0-60) Youl find the name on most yaris forums lol :P

He claims 7 sumthin seconds (0-60) Youl find the name on most yaris forums lol :P
Well 117.27bhp per ton would suggest 8.92 seconds for the SR and 9.57 for the T-Sport. Bizarrely these rough paper calculations feel more right than the official times meaning the T-Sport 0-60 is actually wrong :eek:

The more I think about it the official T-Sport 0-60 must be wrong not the SR. Adding TRD Turbo only knocks off less than a second from the official time to bring it inline with a paper claulation of 0-60 7.18sec with 145bhp (150.33bhp per tonn). I always though that a bit iffy. The T-Sport doesn't feel as much as 3 seconds faster off the line than Rover 214 16v or MG 1.4.

But these are paper calculations and there are indeed other factors such as gearing.

EDIT: Found a wizzard to do your own http://www.letstorquebhp.com/calculator.asp

Having owned a t-sport for over 3 years I seriously doubt there's anything wrong with the official 0-60 times of the t-sport.

As for why the 1.8 SR hasn't gained much of a following - probably because the SR brand includes lesser models so dilutes the image, limited production run, doubt the handling will be up to much and despite the angular bodykit it doesn't stand out that much. Also 130bhp out of a 1.8 is way too low. Agreed at second hand prices they're now becoming affordable but they just seem to lack the fun factor of competitors such as the Swift Sport.

Things you have to consider are what conditions the 0-60 was taken in. MY YTS in good weather quater tank did it in 8.5secs. Also Its not how much power you have its how its used and where it comes it. The YTS with a Turbo will loose its power as it goes along the revs. Dont get me wrong I personnally think the figure they give of 8secs 0-60 is wrong cause I know someone who has a supercharged TS with 140bhp and he can beat Civic Type-Rs. I know that a turbo is different but from say 6.5 secs to 8 secs is a massive difference.

Anyways dont get to hung up about it. Go test drive one and see what you can do with it.

1 other thing look at the 0-60 times for a Corolla TS 187bhp and it does it in 8secs even thought a type r has 10bhp it does it in 6.5. Paper figures are not what they make out to be.

As much as love my T-Sport I am still not convinced. Especially getting off the line as it quickly runs out of revs and requires a gear change. A Pistonheads.com comparison (lost the link) of soft hatches showed they could only get 9 point something seconds out of it.

As for a 140bhp Yaris being quicker than a Civic Type R.... this just cannot be true.

As much as love my T-Sport I am still not convinced. Especially getting off the line as it quickly runs out of revs and requires a gear change. A Pistonheads.com comparison (lost the link) of soft hatches showed they could only get 9 point something seconds out of it.

As for a 140bhp Yaris being quicker than a Civic Type R.... this just cannot be true.

You would have to take it up with the guy mate. I think that he has just sold it and he was on the other yaris club.

Also if you watch this

and the part 2 it shows that the CTS does 0-40 quicker than the CTR proving the point that how can it take another 3 secs to get from 40 to 60.

• 1 month later...

Well i have had a test drive in the 18sr yarris, and was not impressed at all, did not think it was much quicker than my 4d4 sr, so i wont be going there, just thought toyota could have done more to this car, shame really, you dont see many on the road, so i imagine not that much intreast.

This car is one of my favourites. I don't really care about the slightly slow 0-60, I just wish they still made them as I really wanted one :(

• 7 months later...

I have had the SR since December 08, its just turning 10000 miles as my wife drives it mostly, I was wondering if anyone can give me tips to spice it up. The car that is.

Standard Model, what extras should I buy?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links