Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vpower In A T-Sport - Overkill?

Avanzato

Just wondering what people's thoughts are about V-Power, Tesco 99, or super unleaded in the T-Sport?

Is it overkill and just as good using 'normal' unleaded?

I did notice a difference using V-Power in my Corolla T-Sport, mpg as well, but am thinking about from giving the engine a clean, V-Power isn't needed in the Yaris.

What's your thoughts?

I did the ecu reset on my ts and started using tesco super, have noticed some performance gains over normal unleaded definately not going back to normal unleaded the car used to feel more juddery with it.

Do not get any more miles to the gallon though, from what I have read it does not alter this and I have to agree.

Just wondering what people's thoughts are about V-Power, Tesco 99, or super unleaded in the T-Sport?

Is it overkill and just as good using 'normal' unleaded?

I did notice a difference using V-Power in my Corolla T-Sport, mpg as well, but am thinking about from giving the engine a clean, V-Power isn't needed in the Yaris.

What's your thoughts?

I think you will only get an improvement in power/torque if your car has an adaptive ECU. To be honest though, I am not sure it is worth the extra cost to regularly use super unleaded if your car is designed to run on normal 95 Ron fuel. I have had a couple of WRX's in the past, with the Subaru performance pack fitted, and had to use super unleaded to avoid engine knock etc. However, when forced to use 95 Ron fuel in the said cars, I didn't notice any difference in performance. I always fill up with BP ultimate in my current second car is a 4.2 litre V8 RS4, which is supposed to produce 414 bhp on super unleaded. Whenever I have used 95 Ron fuel, I have not really noticed a drop in performance, apart from the fuel economy is definitely lower by about 2 or 3 mpg. I have read reports in EVO magazine where independant tests where done with various fuels on a BMW M5. There was very little improvement in power/torque with the super unleaded fuels. However, the magazine concluded that occasional use of fuels such as V-power or BP ultimate should be considered to keep your engine clean. For that reason coupled with better mpg, it is the only reason why I only use BP ultimate in the RS.

Thanks for the replies. Will stick with 95 normally then. Have given it a tank of V-Power to clean it though, only cost £42 to fill up even at £1.25 a litre! The Corolla used to cost me £63 to fill up with cheaper stuff :thumbsup:

I allways use super unleaded in my sr. The car just seems to like it.....Pity it costs more though! :angry:

I allways use super unleaded in my sr. The car just seems to like it.....Pity it costs more though! :angry:

Same here as stated the performance gains are minimal really the car just seems more responsive and less juddery on pull off.

As for £63.00 to fill the tank it only costs me £50.00 at current prices from right down on the warning light.

As for £63.00 to fill the tank it only costs me £50.00 at current prices from right down on the warning light.

I can show you the reciept if you like :D But that's how much it use to cost me in the Corolla.

Any increase in power should increase MPG. In the Yaris...

Regular gives me 42mpg :)

Super gives me 38mpg and felt slower if anything.

Any increase in power should increase MPG. In the Yaris...

Regular gives me 42mpg :)

Super gives me 38mpg and felt slower if anything.

A Yaris would only produce more torque and therefore more power (as power (kW) = torque (Nm) x engine speed (rad/s)) on Super Unleaded/high octane fuel if it has an adaptive ECU. An adaptive ECU has the ability to safely adavance the ignition when using high octane fuel. I don't know if all Yaris's have adaptive ECU's, but would suspect that not all models do. I would check with Toyota first before paying the extra for the super unleaded fuel if more power is the goal.

The Impreza's and RS4 mentioned in my original post have adaptive ECU's and therefore should produce more power on super unleaded. However, I personally have not noticed a massive change in performance. The RS4 has better mpg on super unleaded as it contains less sulphur. When running the car on normal unleaded the cats fill up with sulphur. The ECU senses this and changes the fuelling and timing to increase the exhaust temperatures and burn it off. I don't know if Yaris's do this, again this could be checked with Toyota.

Have filled mine up with VPower, more for the cleaning benefits.

Been on a run to Bournemouth and back today, 100 miles. Have returned an indicated 50mpg.

I use vpower for all my petrol cars - and I think it makes a little difference to them - but a big difference to the RAVs....but they are tuned to run the higher octane.

Never tried the super diesel stuff tho...but a comparison done between red diesel and ordinary showed the ordinary performed better.

A Yaris would only produce more torque and therefore more power (as power (kW) = torque (Nm) x engine speed (rad/s)) on Super Unleaded/high octane fuel if it has an adaptive ECU. ...

I totally agree with you and I have found the Yaris does NOT have an adaptive ECU and super fuel gave me no increase in power after considerable tests.

I just topped up 1/2 a tank with some premium stuff and noticed that it sounded a bit, throatier than normal. Could also be imagining it, but 2nd and 3rd seemed to pull really well when working the engine. All I know is I like this new feeling!

I just topped up 1/2 a tank with some premium stuff and noticed that it sounded a bit, throatier than normal. Could also be imagining it, but 2nd and 3rd seemed to pull really well when working the engine. All I know is I like this new feeling!
Where was the fuel from? I would imagine placebo but stick with it and see, note MPG as well.

Where was the fuel from? I would imagine placebo but stick with it and see, note MPG as well.

I filled up at Tescos, 99. Everywhere else was closed at the time!

I agree it seems that I just want to believe the fuel is having an effect, but I'm quite certain the car sounds and feels different to normal. Will go back to the regular stuff next week and see if it becomes less potent again as I can't afford to do a full to empty tank MPG test :P

• 8 years later...

Posting 8 years later (for an extended test!) and presuming you all have the car (not likely), I totally agree with z-tune that vpower or 99 RON is indeed a bit, throatier than normal. Notable in  2nd and 3rd when overtaking it pulls well. But not on BP 97.

The weird thing is, according to Toyota and cross-referencing the engine number, it appears that the 1.5 of any model never had an adaptive ECU and only takes advantage of regular. This may explain BP.  So it must be another additive in vpower and momentum. Perhaps it is anther additive but we will never know.

• 5 months later...

Ok further testing I can conclude only V-Power gives the 1.5 a noticeable boost and change in engine tone when pushed.

This is not because of the RON as non of the 1.5 engines are adaptive but because of the performance boosting adetives Shell add to compensate for less calories when increasing RON. This engine unlike my Honda 1.8 makes use of the adetives.

It's certainly not placibo.