Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Warranty Brake Issue.

don21

Just booked my Auris in for the pedal recall.57 plate with 38k.Got an issue with a warped rear brake disc.Informed by the dealer that this is not covered.Something about age and mileage.

To be honest absolutely astonished.

Asked for clarification of Toyota policy by email and awaiting reply so I can contact Toyota GB.

So I find myself with a 3 year 60k warranty that is not actually a 3 year 60k warranty.

Toyota quality eh.

Had both my disks changed because they were warped with absolutely no problems .. PERSIST cursing.gif

had a supercharger changed under warranty with nine days left on 3 year 60,000 mls warranty no problem and that was a £3k job,whats goin on!

Rear discs usually have an easy life, that easy in fact that the usual problem is corrosion due to insufficient "use", so can't really see how they could warp through overheating etc.

I agree... have a whinge.

• 2 weeks later...

An update.Email received today from my local dealer The hopeless Johnsons Toyota of Wirral.

Further to your appointment on Friday 9th April 2010 I can confirm I have liaised with my Service Manager and the technician who worked on your vehicle. They have verified that the slight judder on the rear brakes falls under the category of wear and tear and unfortunately therefore is not a warranty item.

So much for Toyota's commitment to quality.

So onwards to Toyota GB.

This is a car that has covered 38k all Motorway miles.How it can be wear and tear is beyond me.

Not sure if I would have got any joy if they got the servicing work on the car(I do it myself).

I could easily buy a set of rear discs and stick them on in work in half an hour but now I am P****d off.

Bought three brand new cars from this dealer and one used.

It seems they do not want to retain my custom.

Keep you informed.

toyota have updated their warranty on brakes. Brakes are only covered if the car is under 18 month or under 20,000 miles. their were to many warranty claims and in the recession cut backs had to be made and this is the affect. the procedure for the technician is hectic aswell. i have to take pictures of all the discs, carry out various measurements, inspect and measure the brake pads, record the part numbers of the pads and the pad material number then type it all on to a computer with the claim and email it to toyota. the whole process takes about an hour.

Thanks for the reply Toyota-tech-21.

You have supported what many on the forum have known for some time.Toyota quality is not what it used to be.

They are having too many warranty claims for brakes so instead of finding out why the parts were failing and doing something about it they simply move the goalposts to avoid having to pay out.

Toyotas so called commitment to quality is simply a marketing message to con the public.

You as a Toyota tech of course will know all this.I am sure if you have worked for Toyota for many years you will be deeply saddened by its demise.

I have worked on Japanese cars over the years and have never known a rear brake disc to warp,ever.

French junk front discs worn out after 20k but not Toyota.In fact I have worked on 10 year old 100k Toyotas with the same front brake discs original exhaust system etc.

In fact the reason my whole family drive Toyotas is because I know or knew I would not have to fix them.

Not any more I am afraid.

The whole thing just winds me up.

This top global brand building the most reliable cars on the planet gone to the dogs because of the bean counters.

A 60k warranty not worth the paper it is written on.

I despair and think I have bought my last Toyota.

It is just not worth the premium any more I may as well buy a Renault.Put together with parts from the same suppliers now.

On a final note how short sighted was it for my local dealer to deal with this like this?We have bought 4 cars from them my Father bought a new yaris from them.

Our car is due for a change and they would be ringing about now to see if they could get us in to a new deal.My father has been talking about changing his yaris.

So how much business have they just lost?

As a customer you only have one sanction,your business.I am exercising that sanction.

Same problem, rear warped discs causing awful squeal when driving unde 10 MPH. Car bought used from Toyota with 12k on clock... Originally told NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY even though only had car 3 weeks! But after allot of shouting, got new Rear discs and pads FREE OF CHARGE!

The guy on the service desk in the end said "We are getting lots of claims for brakes warranty on these Auris".

So there must be a problem with the quality of the products fitted.

As I said I have fired off my letter to Toyota GB and await their reply.Will post more info when I get it.I am so annoyed at the attitude of my local dealer I think if Toyota GB do not help I will consider small claims court.

This sort of thing really winds me up when it is so clear they are avoiding their responsibility just because they are using sub standard parts.

I am in the trade and it just was never like this from Toyota,s in the past.

Not a big deal for me financially but I have now got the bit between my teeth.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links