Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen3 Sat-Nav

stompe

And some people thought the Gen 2 Sat-nav update DVDs were expensive!

As my Gen 3 arrives on Saturday, I was a bit concerned re the Sat Nav, but then realised that I had covered 80,000 miles in my Gen 2 with 06/07 discs, visiting houses and commercial premises all over the UK in the last 2 years and could count on one hand the times the Sat Nav could not find the address!

The only problem I have had is how outdated the Petrol Station database was, but decided it was not worth £160 upgrading just for that

Every Sat Nav becomes outdated at least weekly, with new roads being built and changes to road layouts, but I personally do not see the need to upgrade every year or two, so will be very happy with my 09/10 discs (hopefully the damned "I Agree" screen has gone though!)

Genuinely find the above quite amusing.

The daftness of having special "one time use licenses" for something that the general public can't really do anything with is complexity for complexity sake, and really rather stupid.

The price for the update is rather steep... genuine or not, I think it's frankly stupid, and justifying the price based on the twaddle about "licenses"... makes me laugh.

As others have mentioned on my last car I didn't bother updating the maps and it worked fine. So at this price doubt I'll bother either. Shame about the gracenote update, but then I wouldn't justify 260quid with that.

Also have to laugh that buying a new satnav unit, ie. TomTom Go 750... for the same price. Hmmmm.

So, flawed logic from Toyota, some real bobbins logic behind licenses, and all in all an over the top price. Mental.

• Like 1

Shame about the gracenote update, but then I wouldn't justify 260quid with that.

I'm afraid I don't understand the implications of "Gracenote". Could someone explain it to me please?

When I looked for update information on the Toyota website it gave the following information.

It says that the latest mapping data is 2009 - 2010 ver.1 and the latest Gracenote (CDDB) : Ver.01029

Looking at the information on my own car, which I bought last September, the mapping data as supplied is 2008 - 2009 Ver 1 and Gracenote (CDDB): Ver. 01029.

On the basis of that information there does not appear to be any change in the Gracenote version.

Now that there is a full post code search on the Toyota sat-nav, I much prefer it to any other device I have used and I particularly like the integration with the head-up display. But £260 for a mapping update covering one or two years is a bad joke and I certainly will not buy it.

Shame about the gracenote update, but then I wouldn't justify 260quid with that.

I'm afraid I don't understand the implications of "Gracenote". Could someone explain it to me please?

It says that the latest mapping data is 2009 - 2010 ver.1 and the latest Gracenote (CDDB) : Ver.01029

Looking at the information on my own car, which I bought last September, the mapping data as supplied is 2008 - 2009 Ver 1 and Gracenote (CDDB): Ver. 01029.

The Gracenote database is the one that recognises CDs when you put them in the stereo (and record them to the harddrive), and thus can save you time typing in titles. For hopefully obvious reasons it'll only know about CDs older than it.

This update I understand is also updated with the maps. But agree that Toyota do not currently have an updated version.

I'm not surprised they do what they do...Nearly any navigation map can be downloaded easily via the internet when you know where to look....Toyota has made it a little more difficult, but also very easy with the firewire port for the updates....

I don't like boxes on the window, nor wires dangling in the car, nor 15" wheels ;-) So builtin it is...

Nearly any navigation map can be downloaded easily via the internet when you know where to look....Toyota has made it a little more difficult, but also very easy with the firewire port for the updates

Interesting. Can you tell me more please?

Nearly any navigation map can be downloaded easily via the internet when you know where to look....Toyota has made it a little more difficult, but also very easy with the firewire port for the updates

Best to do some searches, as for all devices and models it is out there....

Best to do some searches, as for all devices and models it is out there....

That's disappointing. When you used the phrases "easily", "very easy" and "know where to look", I thought you might have some revelation to offer.

That would not be allowed by moderators on boards like this, but google is your friend...

Easiest thing is not to pay all the money for Toyota's sat nav in the first place. It's woefully rubbish. A £100 Tomtom will outperform it in every respect; pay a little more and you'll get one with HD Traffic, Google Local Search, scamera alerts, the lot. And easily upgraded every few months for a few quid. Anyone coughing a K-and-a-half for the Toyota system is, frankly, crackers.

I think you are crackers to suggest that other people are crackers....Some of us like integrated systems opposed cheap gobbled together systems with wires all over the place and obstructing your vision...The sooner those aftermarket things get made illegal the safer our roads will get...

We are not all cheap skates ;-)

Easiest thing is not to pay all the money for Toyota's sat nav in the first place. It's woefully rubbish. A £100 Tomtom will outperform it in every respect; pay a little more and you'll get one with HD Traffic, Google Local Search, scamera alerts, the lot. And easily upgraded every few months for a few quid. Anyone coughing a K-and-a-half for the Toyota system is, frankly, crackers.

Crackers I may be, but I have both devices and I much prefer the functionality of the Toyota system when it is integrated with the head-up display.

I would not however argue about updating. The TomTom system is far better in this regard and at a fraction of the cost.

. . . . or trolls?

I think you are crackers to suggest that other people are crackers....Some of us like integrated systems opposed cheap gobbled together systems with wires all over the place and obstructing your vision...The sooner those aftermarket things get made illegal the safer our roads will get...We are not all cheap skates ;-)

Like you, I've been a sucker in the past and paid >£1500 for the manufacturer's underspecced integrated OEM nav system. I would not choose to repeat the mistake when aftermarket units are better specified. In any case, if you're "not cheapskates", why all the wailing and rending of togas in this thread over Toyota's egregiously expensive updates? Just cough up and shut up.

. . . . or trolls?

Why accuse me of being troll? Have you got any idea what that means?

To sit somewhere in the middle just remember that it's not as easy as "with or without". If you wanted the TSpirit options, such as reversing camera, HD audio, option for LED pack, then apart from sourcing each separately 3rd party you have no option but to take the satnav. In that regard it's not so easy to say that it cost £1500 either.

By the same token the cost of upgrade is causing concern, not by the fact it costs... but by the fact it's more than many people have paid for similar upgrades in the past.... and as you can imagine, something not made clear when purchased (yes, I did ask... they had no idea).

Just to update you guys from the horses mouth

Hi Melissa

Ive just heard that the T-spirit sat-nav update will cost £260 please could you confirm this price is right,

Thanks

Btw will us people who bought a T-spirit with outdated data base, get a free upgrade?

Melissa Coulton says:

May 11, 2010 at 14:49

Hi Steve and Sagitar,

Toyota GB has not yet confirmed the price of the third-generation Prius sat nav map update; nor has it released any pricing details to the Centre Network. At this stage we have no further information beyond that given in this post.

Once again, as soon as new information is released, we’ll let you know. In the meantime, if you have any questions, please contact Customer Relations on 01737 367 600 or customer.relations@tgb.toyota.co.uk. Thanks for your patience.

Thanks to Sagitar who came on site to back me up and anyone else I have missed. Lets hope that the updates will be here soon and we can get this done free for the people that bought the cars with outdated map databases and a reasonable cost for those who just want an update.

Stompe :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I habe an early G3 with the 08-09 data and would like the update too. Crazy that you can't just download and transfer it with a laptop. People have gotten used to doing this with other applicances etc why not with your car?

• 1 year later...

November 2011 and still no sign of any update !!

What's happening Toyota - Help your customers if you value their custom.

My Version is 2009-2010 Ver.1

Gracenote (CDDB) Ver.01727

I keep checking http://www.toyota-mapupdates.eu/

No part number ever appears for the Hard Disk version and Toyota York say they cannot update it without a Part number and I need to keep checking this web site for whenever one appears. (Ref. John in Parts at Toyota Clifton Moor, York)

No part number ever appears for the Hard Disk version and Toyota York say they cannot update it without a Part number and I need to keep checking this web site for whenever one appears. (Ref. John in Parts at Toyota Clifton Moor, York)

Hi WWander,

Just checked. I had mine updated in January this year, as a warranty issue because the 2009-2010 was so wildly out of date. The version now on mine is 2010-2011 ver.1, Gracenote ver.04241.

I don't think you will find anything on the map updates website, because that can only supply CD or DVD data.

And given Toyota's past attitudes on:

• The great brake fiasco
  • Handling these map updates
  • Getting the correct oil grade
  • The Weasel Warranty issue
  • The Battery warranty rip-off
  • Getting extended warranties correct.

I really don't think they value our custom in the slightest.

I suggest you talk to your Dealer Principal. These updates have been around a long time, and I think Parts-King has said that dealers can do the update themselves, without the idiotic need for a Toyota Field Service Manager to do it. And make sure they do it under warranty. The early mapping data was totally unacceptable..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi WWander,

Just checked. I had mine updated in January this year, as a warranty issue because the 2009-2010 was so wildly out of date. The version now on mine is 2010-2011 ver.1, Gracenote ver.04241.

I don't think you will find anything on the map updates website, because that can only supply CD or DVD data.

And given Toyota's past attitudes on:

• The great brake fiasco
  • Handling these map updates
  • Getting the correct oil grade
  • The Weasel Warranty issue
  • The Battery warranty rip-off
  • Getting extended warranties correct.

I really don't think they value our custom in the slightest.

I suggest you talk to your Dealer Principal. These updates have been around a long time, and I think Parts-King has said that dealers can do the update themselves, without the idiotic need for a Toyota Field Service Manager to do it. And make sure they do it under warranty. The early mapping data was totally unacceptable..

Hi Ancient Nerd,

Toyota York are saying it cannot be done under warranty. How did you get it done under warranty, was it done in the UK? Do you haveany proof so that I can go back to them. It still seems they are making real hard work out of this. Surely a hard disk is just a replaceable part? Why does it need all this special equipment that they say you need to do it? I have been told there is only one man with one portable piece of equipment that can do it in the UK, and he seems to be on holiday. However, I am now having second thoughts, as apparently, the later software does not allow full Postcode searching as Toyota have not paid the fee to the Post Office to allow the database to do it? So maybe with an update, I would be no better off?

Hi Ancient Nerd,

Toyota York are saying it cannot be done under warranty. How did you get it done under warranty, was it done in the UK? Do you haveany proof so that I can go back to them. It still seems they are making real hard work out of this. Surely a hard disk is just a replaceable part? Why does it need all this special equipment that they say you need to do it? I have been told there is only one man with one portable piece of equipment that can do it in the UK, and he seems to be on holiday. However, I am now having second thoughts, as apparently, the later software does not allow full Postcode searching as Toyota have not paid the fee to the Post Office to allow the database to do it? So maybe with an update, I would be no better off?

Hi wwander,

I think I have unintentionally misled you. I reported this as a warranty issue to my dealer, when I booked it in for a service.

However, at about the same time, I raised it with Toyota Customer Services, along with the weasel warranty issue, problems with Club Toyota, and trying to get information about wheels for winter tyres.

As it turned out, the satnav data was the only thing they managed to sort out. The rest is just a mess of incompetance and disregard for the customer.

As far as the satnav data goes, the copyright dates on the satnav mapping data is 2006 and 2007, so at least two years older than the car. Local roads from after 2004 were missing from the map, so the copyright date certainly looks correct.

I had understood that this was handled as a warranty issue. However, on checking back, I had a letter from Alan Barrett, Toyota's Customer Relations Manager, dated December 2010, but which he didn't bother to send me. I only found out about this when I chased the issue much later with Jenny Shipley, a Customer Relations Team Manager, who had been handling my queries.

It seems that the update was made on the basis of goodwill, subject to me providing feedback on the quality of the data and the process of updating the SatNav at my local Toyota Centre. As Mr Barrett didn't bother to let me know about this before arranging the update, I still consider that it was a warranty issue.

If I had provided feedback, it would have been very bad indeed - It couldn't be done at the time of my service, because it required a Toyota Field Service manager to do the update. And he wasn't available at the time. The update was done at another Dealer, the following week. It took two hours, which was much longer than I'd been led to expect.

I don't know about later versions, but both the 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 data has the full postcode searching. However, If Toyota has decided to save money by not paying the Post Office fee, I really wouldn't be at all surprised. I'm sure someone else can comment.

As you may gather, My dealings with Toyota Customer Services have been less than inspired. They really don't seem to care in the slightest. The same applies to Club Toyota. My attempts to sort out an extended warranty are very close to the point where I get Trading Standards involved.

In general I have no problems with my local Toyota dealers. But anything involving Toyota is a total disaster.

Keep at it. If Toyota GB had any consideration, they would update this as a matter of course. However, they don't, so you will have to push.

Finally, make sure that this is on your service sheet as a warranty issue. If not, write to the dealer. If it is not on record, you haven't complained.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links