Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gen3 Sat-Nav

stompe

When will Toyota update our Sat-Nav data base? 2 years out of date, as from last September, and still no word when its going to be done. I hope for the sake of good customer relations its free, but i have a sneaky feeling it wont be :ffs:

That's why i didn't bother with it and got a Tom Tom instead :thumbsup:

Worst thing they done was put it on hard drive, had no problem in the past!

This way there is no possibility of competition. Toyota has absolute control, and can make us pay through the nose. If the cost is more than say navtech charge for a competitor's satnav DVD (£165 for Renault Laguna DVD), then I won't buy at all, and put it down to supplier (toyota) greed. Changed junctions are usually well signposted, so I can live with that if I had to. Even at that pice, I doubt I'll buy every update - every three years is enough.

However, if the price is £50 or less, then I'd probably go for the annual update. In fact the ideal approach would be for an update to be included in the annual service (if available), for a modest charge. Or a sub-£50 subscription... However this is flying pig territory.

Putting it on a hard drive is a step in the right direction; they just have not gone far enough. It needs easy user access from (say) a USB plug-in memory stick so that regular updates and the addition of POI and camera data-bases could be transferred from a PC.

Putting it on a hard drive is a step in the right direction; they just have not gone far enough. It needs easy user access from (say) a USB plug-in memory stick so that regular updates and the addition of POI and camera data-bases could be transferred from a PC.

So if the hard drive fails will Toyota reinstall your maps and gracenote free of charge - I don't think so? Perhaps people would like to look at this link http://www.toyota-mapupdates.eu/ Also I would have preferred the more space on the hard drive for my music and keep the map data separate. I agree with Sagitar that a USB port could have been installed to download our music on to the hard drive and update our maps ourself.

Stompe

The OEM Toyota nav is the main reason I'm "downgrading" from the T-Spirit on my company car list to the T4. The Toyota nav cannot hold a candle to the Tomtom 740 LIVE I use, with HD Traffic, Google search, etc. Why anyone would pay a >£1000 premium for it, I cannot fathom. Even a bog standard <£100 Tomtom is superior.

The OEM Toyota nav is the main reason I'm "downgrading" from the T-Spirit on my company car list to the T4. The Toyota nav cannot hold a candle to the Tomtom 740 LIVE I use, with HD Traffic, Google search, etc. Why anyone would pay a >£1000 premium for it, I cannot fathom. Even a bog standard <£100 Tomtom is superior.

I'll be happy to pay a smallish price for an update, esp. if this include the gracenote DB. Used to pay £100 for my BMW, so expect Toyota to charge similar, or a bit less (after all it doesn't have the bmw Badge on). In all honesty at a £100, I'll probably only update it once every few years. If the price is much more reasonable... then perhaps I'll do it each service, or once a year.

I don't think they're listening. :unsure:

I have the basic TomTom XL fully updated at £5 every three months. Why someone would pay £1000 for the manufacturers and then £100 to upgrade beats me. There again, a lot of things do :eek:

Hi Grumpy cabbie

It isn't just the Sat-nav for the £1000, you get a much easier interface for the phone, rear camera and parking assist, voice control and better tyres, and the hard-drive for your music, I dont like wires everywhere with the after markets, there's nothing wrong with the Toyota system as long as you get the most up to date data, and thats the rub! it aint :(

Stompe :thumbsup:

So if the hard drive fails will Toyota reinstall your maps and gracenote free of charge - I don't think so? Perhaps people would like to look at this link http://www.toyota-mapupdates.eu/ Also I would have preferred the more space on the hard drive for my music and keep the map data separate. I agree with Sagitar that a USB port could have been installed to download our music on to the hard drive and update our maps ourself.

Stompe

Just checked the toyota link posted by Stompe....

Seems the latest map and gracenote versions are

Map: 2009-2010 V01

Gracenote: CDDB V011029

Checking my Prius (Sept 09) my map data is 2008-2009, V01 :crybaby: so it looks like there IS an update to the map data - just that Melissa and the guys on the toyota web site don't know about it (or they STILL haven't worked out how to get it loaded onto the hard disk!) :unsure:

Stompe

Just checked the toyota link posted by Stompe....

Seems the latest map and gracenote versions are

Map: 2009-2010 V01

Gracenote: CDDB V011029

Checking my Prius (Sept 09) my map data is 2008-2009, V01 :crybaby: so it looks like there IS an update to the map data - just that Melissa and the guys on the toyota web site don't know about it (or they STILL haven't worked out how to get it loaded onto the hard disk!) :unsure:

Hi Dave all along since buying the gen3 t-spirit, I have had to tell the dealer whats going on, i.e. there was a Led Pack,he didn't know about. I'm sure the information is not coming out of Toyota GB and reaching the dealers which I think is causing all the problems, why god only knows. Surely all it takes to sort out these problems is a phone call or E-mail. You wouldn't mind if Toyota was truthful and said there is a problem with downloading the Sat-Nav data, but they just ignore you, perhaps this will sort Toyota out!

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/US-Seeks-16m-Penalty-Fine-Against-Toyota-For-Late-Notification-Of-Safety-Defects-In-Vehicles/Article/201004115595555?lpos=Business_First_Home_Article_Teaser_Region_1&lid=ARTICLE_15595555_US_Seeks_$16m_Penalty_Fine_Against_Toyota_For_Late_Notification_Of_Safety_Defects_In_Vehicles

Hi Dave all along since buying the gen3 t-spirit, I have had to tell the dealer whats going on, i.e. there was a Led Pack,he didn't know about. I'm sure the information is not coming out of Toyota GB and reaching the dealers which I think is causing all the problems, why god only knows. Surely all it takes to sort out these problems is a phone call or E-mail. You wouldn't mind if Toyota was truthful and said there is a problem with downloading the Sat-Nav data, but they just ignore you, perhaps this will sort Toyota out!

I was picking up an item from my dealer this afternoon and asked about the map update, but got a blank. I don't think they see a lot of Prius owners.

They have promised to get information for me and it will be interesting to see what happens.

I was picking up an item from my dealer this afternoon and asked about the map update, but got a blank. I don't think they see a lot of Prius owners.

They have promised to get information for me and it will be interesting to see what happens.

Latest update from the official Toyota web site - Melissa has been busy and posted responses to about 20 outstanding requests for information on the Sat Nav update - they've finally worked out how to do the update and Toyota are now shipping the necessary equipment (!?) to their dealers. No indication of how much an update will cost, or how long it will take to inform all the dealers of the update process.... but at least they've finally done something!

Bottom-line on Sat Nave appears to be that if you are really dependent on it, and need an up to date system, then go for a 3rd party device like a tom tom. The built-in SatNav on the T-Spirit is nice to have (if you don't have anything else), but will never be completely up to date!

just reading this post i hope to order my prius in June

told 3 weeks unill i get it after that...(i dont beleave)

so a brand new car will have a 2 year old out of date maps ?

how worrying.... i need that i am taxi driver....

just reading this post i hope to order my prius in June

told 3 weeks unill i get it after that...(i dont beleave)

so a brand new car will have a 2 year old out of date maps ?

how worrying.... i need that i am taxi driver....

The test drive I had today had 2010 maps on it....Now whether they are update for your area, who knows ;-) They had all my roads on it updated in the last two years....

• 2 weeks later...

Picked my new T-Spirit up today, maps are 2009 - 2010 V1.0

It works pretty well as well, I have a Garmin Nuvi 1690 with Nulink traffic etc etc and updated maps. It was as accurate as that around our way today it's just a pity that the traffic info is by tmc which is next to useless imho.

RNS, I ordered one in Vermillion red, from the date of ordering I was quoted 4 - 6 weeks, it landed in just over 3. Your car will almost certainly have the new maps on as mine has (unless something goes wrong somewhere).

Cheers

Tony

Picked my new T-Spirit up today,

Congratulations. :thumbsup::yahoo::toast: :D

I think somebody at Toyota has lost their marbles.

According to my dealer, in a call this morning, I need to buy a cable that comes with a "use only once" license, for £175. I then need to pay for the dealer to carry out the software update and the total cost of cable, update and VAT will be £260 . . . . . :eek:

It looks like my TomTom is about to come back into use.

According to my dealer, in a call this morning, I need to buy a cable that comes with a "use only once" license, for £175. I then need to pay for the dealer to carry out the software update and the total cost of cable, update and VAT will be £260 . . . . . :eek:

Lol... I'd ask your dealer why on earth you should buy the cable bearing in mind that its them that'll use it not you? In the same way that you don't provide them with a spanner set when you take your car for a service, why on earth would you provide their other tools?

In short, suggest you tell them to go buy their own tools to service your car, and that should bring the map update to a much more reasonable £85 +- VAT. Which I find a slightly more acceptable price.

FWIW I've not had this ridiculous discussion with my local garage.... yet.

Lol... I'd ask your dealer why on earth you should buy the cable bearing in mind that its them that'll use it not you? In the same way that you don't provide them with a spanner set when you take your car for a service, why on earth would you provide their other tools?

In short, suggest you tell them to go buy their own tools to service your car, and that should bring the map update to a much more reasonable £85 +- VAT. Which I find a slightly more acceptable price.

FWIW I've not had this ridiculous discussion with my local garage.... yet.

My dealer was happy to agree that the whole thing appeared to be mad, but claimed those were his instructions from Toyota.

I have a TomTom Go 910 that I haven't used for some time. This evening I plugged it in and everything updated in short order. The map update service from TomTom costs £4.95 a quarter for regular updates and there is a provision for users to make local modifications and to share them with other users. It also allows me to load third party safety camera data bases etc.

I'm afraid that, in relation to mapping updates, Toyota has nodded off.

Hi sagitar,

I agree that the price is horrendously expensive.

as i work for a dealer i can confirm that the price quoted was correct (not sure about the cable requirement though) but the price is for the sat nav and gracenote (cd info) updating all at once via a one time only use license, the only thing is this update is done at your dealer but not by themit is done by a regional aftersales manager from tgb!!!

maybe that is why it is expensive ??????

also anybody wanting it doing book in advance as they only have a very limited supply of the license transfer modules.

Hi sagitar,

I agree that the price is horrendously expensive.

as i work for a dealer i can confirm that the price quoted was correct (not sure about the cable requirement though) but the price is for the sat nav and gracenote (cd info) updating all at once via a one time only use license, the only thing is this update is done at your dealer but not by themit is done by a regional aftersales manager from tgb!!!

maybe that is why it is expensive ??????

also anybody wanting it doing book in advance as they only have a very limited supply of the license transfer modules.

Well, as I currently only use the SatNav to get an estimate of what time I'll be due to arrive somewhere, and have managed for the past 35 years with just a paper map, I don't think I'll bother with the upgrade. However, just for sport, why not put a post on the official "Toyota - Everything you need to know" web site - it only took Melissa 6 months to give an official reply to the "how can we get a Sat Nav update?" question...

Personally, if I DO need an up to date SatNav at some stage in the future, I think I'll buy a TomTom!

as i work for a dealer i can confirm that the price quoted was correct

Maybe correct for Toyota, but far from correct for me . . . . . . :crybaby:

Unless there are a lot of people about with more money than sense, I guess they wont need many . . . . :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links