Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Minor Irritations

Roker

Having just changed from an Octavia to an Avensis, although the Avensis is a superior car there is a couple of irritations. I cannot listen to the radio with the door open because of that dam alarm, if I take the key out of the ignition the radio will not switch on.

The ignition turns off the cigarette lighter socket which switch of my Sat Nat and resets it when I switch on again. These were not a problem on the Octavia.

I cannot reset the fuel average calculator for a journey, it only resets when I fill up the tank.

On the Octavia one of the 2 trip computers reset everything to zero if the ignition was off for more than two hours. Minor irritation but I still would not go back to the Octavia

On the subject of irritants - one of my little gripes is that I can't read the clock unless the ignition is switched on.

On the subject of irritants - one of my little gripes is that I can't read the clock unless the ignition is switched on.

Don't start me on irritations :ffs:

Electric parking brake that dosn't self apply when the engine is switched off !!!

seat memories that don't adjust the mirrors :blink:

Turn off the "Ignition" and every thing is "dead" instantly :ffs:

No DAB radio -- its 2010 ?? :(

Self dimming drivers (center) mirror but not the door mirrors B) :blink:

No lumber suport adjustment on front passangers seat

No accessory (12v supply) for rear seat or boot

I could go on & on (it's a T4 so it's not like "bottom of the range) !!

Back to Vauxhall or renault at next change me thinks !!!

Electric parking brake that dosn't self apply when the engine is switched off !!!

Sorry but I have to ask this.... why the bloody hell did you buy the car in the first place :huh:

If you had done your homework and looked at the specifications of the car then surely you should have known what the car was offering by way of goodies and comforts :unsure:

Sorry but I have to ask this.... why the !Removed! hell did you buy the car in the first place :huh:

The "missing" features are all things fitted to other Older cars I have had, and most ARE listed on the spec, but they are not complete -- I suppose I was wrong to assume when designing a new car Toyota would look at the competition and then improve on it,

All Toyota appear to have done is, to make sure they can list the features on the spec list, but not bothered to think through how they work in the real world .

If you have electric seat adjustment with position memories it is kind of obvious that the mirrors will need adjusting also !

Self dimming (centre) mirror – head lights from behind also dazzle through the door mirrors !

Dab radio --- there is even a button marked DAB on the radio but it has no function !

We all make mistakes - well I have this time !!

Having just changed from an Octavia to an Avensis, although the Avensis is a superior car there is a couple of irritations. I cannot listen to the radio with the door open because of that dam alarm, if I take the key out of the ignition the radio will not switch on.

The ignition turns off the cigarette lighter socket which switch of my Sat Nat and resets it when I switch on again. These were not a problem on the Octavia.

I cannot reset the fuel average calculator for a journey, it only resets when I fill up the tank.

On the Octavia one of the 2 trip computers reset everything to zero if the ignition was off for more than two hours. Minor irritation but I still would not go back to the Octavia

To reset the fuel average for a journey, with the average displayed, press and hold the 'trip' button until it bleeps and zeros. The manual reset can be done with the other readings too.(or it can on my model anyway)

Very interesting topic!

I am in a quandary right now as I am SERIOUSLY tempted to upgrade my 2004 T3-X to a new Avensis, BUT, I am also sorely tempted by the new Octavia!! It has to be an auto, and I really like the look of the Octavia 1.4 TSi auto they do. It gets great reviews and has plenty of pace form what i can see.

And seeing the list of irritations is very useful. I am gutted there is no 12v socket for the back of the Avensis by the way, mine is vital for helping me do my job!

The difference in cost of both cars is also swaying me to Skoda, but i know i'd be very happy with the Avensis, so i could live with the extra cost to purchase.

AAaaarrrgggghhh!!! Decisions!!

:(

Carinfront.... other than the gripes as mentioned, I have to say they are 'minor', you would certainly not be disappointed with the new model.

As you already understand the brand I can only suggest that you ask the dealer for a test drive that would last a couple or a few hours. Given that you are after an 'auto' you would be very pleased with the CVT transmission as it is seamless and very smooth.

Saloon or estate they are really nice cars. Oh, the 12v socket is located in the centre console box so it is easily reached from the rear seats :yes:

To reset the fuel average for a journey, with the average displayed, press and hold the 'trip' button until it bleeps and zeros. The manual reset can be done with the other readings too.(or it can on my model anyway)

Fuel average does not reset by pressing the button,it would make more sense, it only resets after the tank is filled up, see handbook page 227.

I do not see the car specs being detailed enough to tell you that eg. the radio cannot be played with the key out or the ignition turns off the cig power socket.

The superior engine, reliability etc. all overide the minor gripes.

What about an Octavia Shell with its hugh boot etc, with Toyota mechanic and electrics.

I test drove anOctavia recently and the Auto box doesent hold a light to the Toyota ! admittedly there are quite a few minor irritations with the new Avensis especially the rear doors that wont open till you turn the engine off , but the Auto is worth all the hassle or even better buy a Lexus ?

I cannot listen to the radio with the door open because of that dam alarm

I've had that switched off, look in the manual and there are some 'user defined settings' such as unlocking ALL doors when you open drivers door.

if I take the key out of the ignition the radio will not switch on.

Battery protection gone too far, Ford will let you listen to stereo but switch off after an hour to protect Battery

The ignition turns off the cigarette lighter socket which switch of my Sat Nat and resets it when I switch on again.

Agreed, is a PITA

I cannot reset the fuel average calculator for a journey, it only resets when I fill up the tank

As suggested, use display to find average MPG then hold display to reset it, you can't reset the range though

EPB is really stupid, it doesn't self apply on Toyota's but if you drive through a IMO car wash in a toyota you don't need to leave the engine running like you do in a french POS

I've got DAB and have had since July 2009, £300 extra and hence the DAB button, but it will be standard soon due to the analogue switch off in 4 years time

Self dimming side mirrors would be a) expensive and B) stupid, anything that reduces your ability to see a car at the side of you (esp on motorway) is lunacy, any car diretly behind you is generally not a threat, cars in lane 2/3 at your side are in a position where you may be a threat to then, especially if you can't see them.

Agree with the 12v accessory socket in boot, they are handy indeed

Can't understand why anyone would have an Octavia over an Avensis, the Octavis is essentially a golf estate and whilst they have a decent boot and build quality, the boot depletes some rear passenger space, I've just been back from run around scotland mountain biking, 5 adults, 5 bikes, 3 on tow bar mounted rack and two on roof, all luggage and the car was exemplary, still managed 40's mpg, still pulled strongly and did Toyota proud.

Fuel average does not reset by pressing the button,it would make more sense, it only resets after the tank is filled up, see handbook page 227.

I do not see the car specs being detailed enough to tell you that eg. the radio cannot be played with the key out or the ignition turns off the cig power socket.

The superior engine, reliability etc. all overide the minor gripes.

What about an Octavia Shell with its hugh boot etc, with Toyota mechanic and electrics.

Must be different with later models than mine then, my range resets when filled up but not the average fuel consumption. That is set as I described earlier, and like you said , makes more sense.

• 1 year later...

I test drove anOctavia recently and the Auto box doesent hold a light to the Toyota ! admittedly there are quite a few minor irritations with the new Avensis especially the rear doors that wont open till you turn the engine off , but the Auto is worth all the hassle or even better buy a Lexus ?

Can you confirm your rear doors unlock when the engine is turned off? My Dealer has told me they should remain locked..

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links