Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Much Fuel Have I Left?

KazB

Last bar is flashing and warning beep just come on. How many miles can I go before I run out? Thanks

The longest I've left it before filling up has been 20 miles after the beep. But I'd fill up when you can, you don't want to be stranded. :)

Some have reported as little as 15 miles, some say 80 km...

The total size of the tank is 35 liters - although I've managed to put in 37.5 on occassion (filling it fully up - until the filler opening).

If you fill her up, take note of the amount you put in - that will give you a ballpark figure for the future.

The last bar supposedly represents 5 liters. At least that's what the manual says.

I've never driven more than 30km (20mi) with the bar flashing and I wouldn't

dare try for more either, since on our Dutch forum some people have actually

run out within roughly 15 miles from the beep first sounding...

Last bar is flashing and warning beep just come on. How many miles can I go before I run out? Thanks

As far as the next nearest petrol station! Don’t be fool :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

You can generally tell how close you are to empty by how fast the last bar flashes. The most I've got out of the last bar is 35 miles or so with some eco driving. I have no idea how close I was to running out, but it was an adventure :)

You can generally tell how close you are to empty by how fast the last bar flashes. The most I've got out of the last bar is 35 miles or so with some eco driving. I have no idea how close I was to running out, but it was an adventure :)

I have managed to squeeze out around 70km's out of my last flashing bar :) with the help of my handy Scangauge... filled it up, and according to my math, still had 2 litres before it was completely dry! from my experience, when it starts to flash it has 5 litres, when it starts flashing rapidly it has 2 litres...

Mechanic said once that running empty may damage petrol pump, not sure if it is true or not. In any case I refuel either when I am near my favourite station or when it hits to the last bar. Don't want to take a risk and walk to a petrol station, don't have a jerrycan either...

Mechanic said once that running empty may damage petrol pump, not sure if it is true or not.

I would suggest there is a high element of truth to that because these systems are all pressure driven and if you run low on fuel, then that can only increase pressure on the fuel system and in particular the fuel pump etc. - and this is more true on diesels as they run at insanely high pressure. As others have said, I don't fancy the long walk to nearest petrol station - so I fill up ;)

Most submerged fuelpumps use the actual fuel als coolant.

And thet "suck" at sucking air, so when you run them down they may

not be able to push the air out of the lines and replace it with fuel...

• 8 years later...

I basically use 2 bars as "empty", you never know if you may be stuck in traffic etc... :)

I agree with the above guys...not worth the risk...fill up as soon as the flash appears...otherwise the most ive gone on a flash at one stage was 10 miles local runs

As previously mentioned it is not a good idea of letting your fuel tank get very/that low.

As well as the fuel pump not being lubricated by the fuel in the tank also all tanks get corrosion on the inside and this corrosion will block up the filter on the fuel pump and cause unnecessary problems. 

When say your fuel gauge gets down to 1/4 full it's time to fill it up again.

Regards, Mike.

On 05/04/2010 at 4:22 PM, AYGOgummy said:

The longest I've left it before filling up has been 20 miles after the beep. But I'd fill up when you can, you don't want to be stranded. :)

Me and my partner got 60 miles when are Toyota Aygo Fire 2013 was flashing empty we get 500 miles out of a tank when full but that's with doing eco driving

Mine has just started beeping I should get it to 500 miles 

1524914736492-263382899.jpg

Personally I'm not a big fan of running a tank near empty, I can't be bothered worrying about the range going down for that last few miles - just fill the thing up and forget about it for another week or three.  Consider an average driver covering around 12k miles per year.  At 400 miles per tank it would be 30 fill ups per year.  Alternatively at 500 miles per tank it's 24 fill ups per year.  Does that 6 extra fill ups per year matter that much?

• Like 1

I fill the car up every Sunday. 52 times a year never thought of how many times I fill it up every year.

17 hours ago, kisbell said:

I fill the car up every Sunday. 52 times a year never thought of how many times I fill it up every year.

Hmmm I never thought of that.  If you drive approx 466.7 miles every week and want to fill up on a specific day then it makes sense to try to get 500 miles from your tank.  I suppose my driving is a bit different, I get about a fortnight from a tank, but also work random days - so I just fill up when it gets into the bottom quarter on the gauge, irrespective of which day of the week it is.

filled it up it had 482 miles on it is used 34.49 liters 63.53mpg not bad. 

The fuel tank size is 35L but some people can get 37.5L in it so that would suggest that I had about 3L (42miles) left.

5 liters from when the light flashes sounds about right. 

I do about 180 to 200 miles then fill up. I use the odometer as I don't trust the gauge because I've found it to be wildly inaccurate. I would never run on a near empty tank as all the crud which accumulates at the bottom ends up getting sucked up into the system.

An example of the petrol gauge issue. When I got the car it was showing half full. I put £20 in it (it didn't brim). After about thirty miles I ended up putting another £20. What the gauge was indicating and the actual petrol situation were two completely different things.

X touch display showed 4 miles left, averaging 45.5 miles per gallon, no blocks showing on the gauge. I then fully filled it, and could only get 32.5 litres in. 

So could of gone a 15 miles more, but you end up mile watching rather than just driving. But it was good to know what you can let it go down to.

1 hour ago, yorkieshaw said:

X touch display showed 4 miles left, averaging 45.5 miles per gallon, no blocks showing on the gauge. I then fully filled it, and could only get 32.5 litres in. 

So could of gone a 15 miles more, but you end up mile watching rather than just driving. But it was good to know what you can let it go down to.

Aha, someone with an mpg close to mine. I was getting worried, and a little jealous, of reading peeps are getting 500 miles per tankful :blink:

For me it takes 28 litres to fill up from 2 bars and 32 when the flashing starts. 

I've only run out once at it was around 30 miles from the flashing started to being empty.  In my defence  I had just owned the car a couple of months after spending 15 years with Micra's and they have the low fuel light coming on with 13 litres remaining out of a tank of 42 litres.

For me, as soon as it drops to 1 block get it filled it... not like it takes long with a tank that size!

• 1 year later...

my petrol gauge flashes with 2 bars showing, is this normal? or is the gauge faulty?