Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brakes

jamesholden

Well after giving up bothering trying to stop my brakes squealing I was wondering, is it worth bothering trying to replace my rear drums with discs?

How much does it cost and what difference on braking does it have?

• 4 weeks later...

I know this post was awhile ago but Ive got the same problem with my brakes lots of sqealing going on, did you find out what caused this problem at all?

For the most part squeeking brakes are from the pads getting a smooth surface, if you look at them they are shinny and reflect light some what.

The best fix is to replace the pads or shoes, to test if it is the shoes being smooth. Pull the drum off and get some sandpaper or wire brush and sand or brush the shine off the shoe to it is dull again. Put the drum back on and try driving/stopping. If it goes away, then the shoes need changed and the inside of the drum also needs cleaned before they are put back on. As some of the junk that messed up the last shoes may still be on the metal and will infect the new shoes as well.

The squealing can also be caused by vibration on the brake pad. You can help prevent this by smearing a little copper grease on the back (only!!) of the pad when you fit them. A mechanic once told me you can get special energy absorbing tape to stick to the back of the pad - but I've never found anything specifically sold for the purpose.

• 3 years later...
Well after giving up bothering trying to stop my brakes squealing I was wondering, is it worth bothering trying to replace my rear drums with discs?

Hello James,

Did you try replacing the drums with brakes? or is it impossible to do it - I wanted to do the same thing on my T Reg as well.. As such , I think the ABS system too would interfere with changing the drum to disc.

Cheers,

G.

many years ago a lot of lorries were fitted with squeel bands aroud the drums, it stops the vibration. remembering this a few yearsback when i had this problem with a renault 12 i fitted a very large jubilee clip around the outside of the rear drums and it worked a treat.

this might not work on yours but it is worth a try

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links