Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reprogramming A Transponder Key

Glasswarrior

I recently bought a 2003 '53 plate Avensis D4D T Spirit. Only one key, the fob of which had broken open. Vendor bought a new key and fob for me and transferred the transponder to it. I purchased a second hand key and transponder fob on eBay and transferred that transponder into the repaired original fob with original key blade. A local independent Toyota agent tells me it is not possible to reset and reprogramme a second hand transponder. Is this correct? I've seen various methods listed of programming another transponder key, do they work for erasing and reprogramming a key from a different Avensis?

Cheers

Thanks for that web link. I tried the procedure and a WEIRD thing happened:

I was able to programme the second hand key to operate the central locking but NOT deactivate the immobiliser and my master key now no longer operates the central locking but will deactivate the immobiliser and start the car!! HELP!! :blink:

So I am now using the second hand transponder key (with my original key blade) to lock/unlock and the replacement master key (with original transponder) to start the car :eek:

Should I just go to Toyota??

Thanks for that web link. I tried the procedure and a WEIRD thing happened:

I was able to programme the second hand key to operate the central locking but NOT deactivate the immobiliser and my master key now no longer operates the central locking but will deactivate the immobiliser and start the car!! HELP!! :blink:

So I am now using the second hand transponder key (with my original key blade) to lock/unlock and the replacement master key (with original transponder) to start the car :eek:

OK, there are 2 separate systems here. First, the immobilizer uses an RFID chip embedded in the plastic part of the key. This chip is read by a receiver in the ignition switch, and the chip(s) have to be matched. If you insert the key and the red security light stops flashing, then the immobilizer chip has been recognized and should start the car.

The second system is the central locking feature. This uses a transmitter in the fob to send a coded signal to a receiver in the car that locks/unlocks the doors. Each key fob has a unique code, and each has to be matched to the receiver to be recognized.

First you need to program the keys to the immobilizer. I think you can have a total of 7 keys programmed to the vehicle. You must use a valid master key for the programming--a valet key won't do.

Secondly you will program the central locking fobs. They have to be programmed at the same time as well.

I recently did this on my brother-in-law's Sienna. A lot of pedal pushing, door opening, and key inserting was involved. He never could figure it out--it only took me 3 tries to get it right!

The advice given by James is spot on.

The problem with not being able to start the car with the new key may be that you have the wrong transponder chip inside. Several different ones have been used on Toyota vehicles over the years. Or, as James has pointed out, your existing key is a valet key.

• 10 months later...

you have to make sure the transponder key you are trying to code in is the same as your original there are 2 ways of doing this which are both on the forum but either way make sure transponder is the same. should be a 4d-67 tranponder