Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

First 50Mpg Tank

cootuk

Don't you just love the Easter holiday with no school run and slightly warmer weather?

Just got my first 50mpg tankful

:toast:

Don't you just love the Easter holiday with no school run and slightly warmer weather?

If you got yours not too long before you joined the TOC, then this is just the start of it getting a lot better. I managed 5 or 6 tanks at (just) over 60 mpg on my old gen II (on the computer, so a bit less in reality) Overall mpg for 16 months, 40,000 miles, was 55.4 (real tank to tank).

Oddly the tank to tank calculated mpg varied wildly on the Gen II, so I don't put much faith in the individual figures. I don't really understand why as I don't think the UK version had the petrol tank bladder. The Gen III doesn't have that variation, it's much more consistent

The 2nd Gen has 10 fuel bars. I have just done 96 miles on one bar. I some how don't think that each bar equals one tenth of a tank or 4.5 litres (just under a gallon) as that would probably be some sort of record!

Its a strange system on the Gen II, I can get in excess of 90 miles for my first bar drop, and less than 50 miles for my bottom THREE bars. Basically I aim for 400 miles on a tank if I am just driving 'round town' and nearer 500 miles per tank if I am doing losts of motorway.

I haven't run out of fuel yet....touch wood!!

Well done, our new T4 has been doing really well. Just done the first thousand miles, but so far we had (filling at the pump measurements)...

55MPG after 162miles

54.1MPG after 194miles

48.2MPG after 250miles

57.6MPG after 319miles

Given our previous BMW 330i and RAV T180 we are well pleased with the figures. The Prius does take a little getting used to for best performance, but I'm amazed that Toyota do not make more of a song and dance about the smooth transmission and quite ride.

What is impressive is that the MPG on this car really does appear to match the petrol pump calculations. It's a little shame the same level of accuracy cannot be credited for the speedo. 34mph = 30, 65mph = 60 and about 76mph = 70

So any regrets about getting rid of the Volvo? I remember you being somewhat undecided before you took the plunge. Bet you're glad you did with petrol as it is. :eek:

The only thing we miss about the Volvo is the cavernous loadspace when we visit Ikea, though being a smaller car the Prius does bounce on bumps a bit more.

Parking the Volvo was less hassle as door bumps weren't such an issue, whereas every new small dent is noticed on a newer car.

Moving to an automatic has been like a ray of sunshine, we should have done this years ago for town driving.

Overall it's been a good decision, and quite a few of the naysayers at work are considering trading in their gas guzzlers for 'something more economic'.

I've seen my old car for sale locally.

It appears to have acquired an extra 10 valves and air con.

One dealer was asking 1400 for it - I guess they expect people to buy it then trade in for a special deal at a main dealer, as a private sale would be about 500 quid.

Wasn't worth me doing the MOT for that price, but I did strip off everything that I could.

http://www.buyyourcar.co.uk/used-car/volvo/850/awb_smccars_8345175.aspx

Just done a long motorway run from Bradford to Coventry, over to Shropshire, and back up the M6.

50mpg at motorway speeds, though the haul from Manchester over the Pennines dropped the consumption by only 1mpg!

Did a 200 mile trip at the weekend with 4 people, 2 dogs, luggage, air con on, motorway speeds and still got 55mpg. :) :) :)

My first 20 mile commute with 66mpg showing at the end (OK the Prius pimps the figures a bit but it is still great) :toast:

My first 20 mile commute with 66mpg showing at the end (OK the Prius pimps the figures a bit but it is still great) :toast:

Prius can pimp the figures quite a lot!

When I filled up yesterday the display was showing a tank figure of over 57 m.p.g. The reality, when I put the figures into Fuelly was 52.6 m.p.g.

However, as the weather is getting warmer, the figures are definitely improving.

Mine isn't that bad. It is usually 2 to 3 mpg higher than calculated.

Not sure if this error is linear though.

• 3 weeks later...

My 2nd gen stated 52.2 mpg when I filled up today. Not quite that it seems, but it will do. Hopefully when it warms up again I will get the average over the 50mpg benchmark by the next fill up.

Anyone notice any differences with petrol used. i.e. does branded petrol deliver better results than supermarket finest?

However, as the weather is getting warmer, the figures are definitely improving.

Sure is. Did a run up the M3 over the weekend not much traffic about and kept around 65-70 (wasn't in a hurry). The display said 69mpg at the end of the trip. :) :) :)

Mine isn't that bad. It is usually 2 to 3 mpg higher than calculated.

Not sure if this error is linear though.

Have just returned from a holiday in the Lakes. The computer was showing well over 60 on each of the fill-ups that we did but the reality was significantly lower, so it looks as though my car over-indicates quite consistently.

However, I am not complaining. Our mileage included 500+ on motorways with the cruise control set to 70mph and a lot of miles on very hilly lakeland roads.

P.S. I filled up on getting home, in order to check holiday costs. The computer was showing 66.7 for the last tankful; reality, from Fuelly was 58.8. That's an over estimate of more than 13%. It makes me very wary of claims based only on the use of the in-car computer.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links