Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

5W/40 Oil For Avensis

mark.wallace@mawallace1.d

I usually put fully synthetic oil in my 2.0 VVti 2002 (Petrol) Avensis - using 5W/40 oil.

When I went to buy this today the label said "For turbo diesels".

the oil manufacturer, Castrol, recommends 5W/40 as do other places.

Can I safely put the 5W/40 oil in the car if it says "For turbo diesels"

Have a chat with our friendly advisor, he will put you on the right track :yes:

Clicky>>>>>>> Oilman

I usually put fully synthetic oil in my 2.0 VVti 2002 (Petrol) Avensis - using 5W/40 oil.

Check the label for the API spec. It will say something like 'SL/CF', the SL is the petrol spec and the CF is the diesel spec.

The main difference between diesel and petrol oils is that diesels require more detergent to cope with the amount of carbon produced. Most good oils produced are dual purpose these days and not specific to diesel or petrol.

hello MARK

never use "For turbo diesels" in your petrol engine -- the explanations are as follows:

normal diesel contains sulphur inside and when engine is turned off -- the sulphur is normally mised with air wet vapours and the result is sulphur acid (!!!)-- this acid fastly eats all parts inside. in order to have this acid formation neutralized -- a special diesel lube is applied haviing had inside a TBN (total base number) of alcalinity that neutralizes this acid converting it in salt and water. So in case you will use a wrong oil in yr engine this leads to an alkaline attack of the same internal parts resulting their fast wear down !!!! That is why both engine types have own special oils to be applied. I hope the above is clear now. Cheers/igor

hello MARK

never use "For turbo diesels" in your petrol engine -- the explanations are as follows:

normal diesel contains sulphur inside and when engine is turned off -- the sulphur is normally mised with air wet vapours and the result is sulphur acid (!!!)-- this acid fastly eats all parts inside. in order to have this acid formation neutralized -- a special diesel lube is applied haviing had inside a TBN (total base number) of alcalinity that neutralizes this acid converting it in salt and water. So in case you will use a wrong oil in yr engine this leads to an alkaline attack of the same internal parts resulting their fast wear down !!!! That is why both engine types have own special oils to be applied. I hope the above is clear now. Cheers/igor

thats not exactly true ford and many other manufactureres oil spec is the same for diesel and petrol (how about mobile fomula one (read the can ) suitable for either.

hello MARK

thats not exactly true ford and many other manufactureres oil spec is the same for diesel and petrol (how about mobile fomula one (read the can ) suitable for either.

it is in force when written as " for diesel and petrol engines" - but if only turbodiesels -- it is an opposite matter. it is yr risk, either

cheers

You can buy the correct grade (5w 30) semi synthetic from your dealer at a very good price, so why not use the correct type/grade?

Kingo :thumbsup:

You can buy the correct grade (5w 30) semi synthetic from your dealer at a very good price, so why not use the correct type/grade?

Kingo :thumbsup:

no one can arque with that

• 4 weeks later...

my local skoda dealer told me they use the same oil on their 1.6/1.8 and the 1.9tdi's that i had on of.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links