Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Much Punishment Can A Aygo Or Its Sisters Take

viper262

I was just driving along today in my Aygo 50mph in a 50mph, and i saw a C1 came bolting past me swerving left and right in to diffrent lanes, and it just got me thinking how much punishment can these fun, cheaply made cars take from us before something goes wrong or something needs changing or are my worrys not necessary, i mean speaking as an Aygo driver i see plenty of videos on youtube of people driving there Aygo and the sister cars hard accelerating, Handbrake turns, left foot braking down hills, steering really quickly left and right, Stamping on the clutch really hard does the cheapness of the build of the Aygo and its sisters affect how much punishment the cars can take or is it built just as good as any of the other cars you see on the road?

I'm slightly ashamed to say that I drive my Aygo HARD most of the time... the only thing I've notice suffer is the clutch and brakes but only because they wear out more quickly than driving normally but that is to be expected in any car.

Did you see how Top gear treated the Aygo in Aygo football??!?! they did a similar demonstration when the Suzuki swift came out..... the suzuki BROKE! the Aygo lasted as none of them broke!

I think they are some of the toughest pocket rockets around and toyota build quality reigns supreme above all in its class! :)

My daughter has an Aygo and I like the engine which is lively and free revving :thumbsup:

The build quality suffers a little given that it is, I am sure, a Czech built Peugeot/Citroen so I am afraid jjj_aygo is wrong :huh:

in what respect jjjaygo wrong? im interested on your thoughts! :)

i reckon its a hardy little car, theres a difference between driving hard and full on abuse tho!

why would u need a new engine after doing 90?!

yea I would quite like to know in what respect I am wrong about build quality????

Like I said the only things that have worn out or gone wrong on my 56'plate Aygo is premature wearing of brakes and clutch but that's entirely down to my driving style.

Yea there's a big difference between full on abuse and driving hard... I always do everything I can to look after my Aygo i.e. I'd never drive her fast off road or over pot holes ect. but I use her capabilities to the max :)

Considering it screams when doing 70mph, I haven't dared to push it further. :D

Not what ur name suggests...

The engine is loud but incredibly revvy... will do up to just over 30 in 1st, 60 in 2nd, 90 in 3rd and beyond 105 in 4th so no your engine will quite happily do 90mph :thumbsup:

yeah i was quite surprised how vocal it is, I guess the lack of sound proofing adds to that, but i quite the sound, it suits the character of the car :)

Iv had my far share of fun in the Aygo, it holds up fine to high speed and quick cornering and she definitly pulls a nice little handbrake :) Never had any probs from this yet touch wood.

Dont drive like this all the time, only when Im feeling frisky :)

I frequently hit the rev limiter in 2nd despite having fitted a rev counter, no probs at all, just love the traffic light grand prix and the long gears :P

Considering you can sit at just under 3000RPM in 5th doing 70 its hardly screaming, and like other posters have said, the car will happily do well over 90, even in low gears. Just does it vocally. Doesn't mean it is going to break, unless you keep over red lining it. But then its the owners fault, not the cars.

What a completely sad lot you are. I was involved in a fatal car crash because of morons driving like idiots on the road. Just grow up and stop trying to live vicariously through your cars or impress your cretinous friends. Speed doesn't kill, inappropriate speed does. Drive sensibly on public roads, and yes that can mean slower than posted limits sometimes if the situation calls for it. If you want to bomb around, have a track day then you will only injure/kill yourselves and wreck your own cars, not involve completely innocent people going about their lives with no wish to get involved in carnage.

Its not a question of driving like an idiot, or too fast in unsafe situations.

Simply pointing out that the car CAN go that fast doesn't mean it is done everywhere and dangerously at all times with out regard for other people.

Least of all to impress friends, who you MUST know if you can judge them as being "cretinous". Do you know them all? I doubt it.

So how about watching your tongue and actually thinking before making a presumptuous and offensive rant.

Its unnecessary and uncalled for.

Sorry you were involved in something as terrible as a fatal car incident, no one should have to go through that. But don't go shouting off at others as if everyone is the same as the person who caused that crash.

What a completely sad lot you are. I was involved in a fatal car crash because of morons driving like idiots on the road. Just grow up and stop trying to live vicariously through your cars or impress your cretinous friends. Speed doesn't kill, inappropriate speed does. Drive sensibly on public roads, and yes that can mean slower than posted limits sometimes if the situation calls for it. If you want to bomb around, have a track day then you will only injure/kill yourselves and wreck your own cars, not involve completely innocent people going about their lives with no wish to get involved in carnage.

Whilst we regret that any of TOC members are involved in any crashes, Fatal or otherwise, It does not give you the excuse to fling personal insults out on this forum.

Please refrain from such comments in the future.

The TOC Moderating team do monitor such threads as this and will intervene if it is considered that the topic is getting "out of hand".................My previous post in this topic refered to a TOC member who uses his road going Aygo with minimal modification in the Toyota Sprint Series................Which takes place under carefully marshalled conditions on approved tracks.

If you care to look through the forum you will find that TOC has offered many "Track Days" for members to measure their cars performance................TOC does not condone ANY reports of "Racing" on public roads and any such references may be deleted.

Given how this topic has gone I feel I should say that any of those instances I mentiuoned were done at times when the only one in danger was myself and even then iv never so much as scuffed a car despite my driving style so im either a fairly afe driver or miraculously lucky.

I Don't like the way this topic has gone thanks to dodgyknee... perhaps it could be removed??

I feel I should also say now as a footer to my previous posts that I know (thankfully more than most) what it is like to suffer the loss of someone close due to dangerous driving so presumptive and offensive remarks about unsafe driving and inappropriate speed being directed at people as if you are the only person who has ever been involved in a fatal accident are completely inappropriate!

I don't need to defend anything I have said as I know my limits and abilities as a driver and that of my car, it is people who don't that cause accidents!

I would imagine an 850kg Aygo would have less momementum than your heavy huge car ;). Quick calulation is that you car has more momentum at 60 mph than the Aygo has at it's top speed of 96mph.

Considering an Aygo driven "hard" accelerates to 0mph in about 12 seconds I think you need to get things in perspective.

Andy

I would imagine an 850kg Aygo would have less momementum than your heavy huge car ;). Quick calulation is that you car has more momentum at 60 mph than the Aygo has at it's top speed of 96mph.

Considering an Aygo driven "hard" accelerates to 0mph in about 12 seconds I think you need to get things in perspective.

Andy

Hello Andy,

Thanks for the considered reply to my comments. We all need to remember though that it is the amount of kinetic energy a car has, and therefore needs to lose in order to stop which is important, not it's momentum. This kinetic energy is usually lost via friction and heat at the brake pads/disks in ordinary stopping, but during an accident gets transferred out of the car in deformation of car/occupants/other structures. The kinetic energy (using KE=1/2*mv^2) of an Aygo (mass=825kg) travelling at 96mph(42.9m/s) is 759169 Joules and an Avensis (mass=1380kg) at 60mph(26.8m/s) is 495586 Joules. The Aygo therefore has 53% more energy to lose - and as it is a much smaller car with smaller crumple zones and fewer airbags etc, it would make more sense for the occupants to take more care. Statistically, everyone will be involved in one 'big' accident during their driving career and I only wish people to mitigate the outcome of theirs by realising how vulnerable we all are when moving.

If we look at momentum (=mass*velocity) we can work out the force on a typical (70kg) driver at 60mph stopping in 0.1 seconds (typical when hitting something heavy and hard)- it's 30000 Newtons. Using Newton's 2nd Law to calulate the deceleration of the car during this time we find it's 429m/s^2 - or if you like about 43g. That's 4 or 5 times the 'g' experienced by fighter pilots during hard turns or 14 times more than astronauts experience during launch.

I don't know why this thread is still going... far too many references to driving above speed limits and racing on public roads... this thread should've been toast a while ago...

Ping!

toast.jpg