Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help, Itz Loosing Power When Shift To 3Rd Gear

paliwoo

hello everyone,

i recently brought this 04 corolla 1.4 disel D4D T3 from a car auction, itz my second toyota(1st one was a 06 Prado 4L,so powerful but Pure petrolsucker),the car is so neat throughout, came with 3keys and all the legal documents, itz even got a valid road tax. i just picked it up yesterday, tested it for like 20minutes inside the parkin yard, it felt so smooth and sweet. then i drove it out, and things just happend, it has a semiauto gearbox, everytime i shiftd to the 3rd gear, it just stopd accelerating and the engine started makin noise, felt like itz loosin power, either easydriving mode or mannul, the car just couldn't go over 3rd gear...

is this kinda thing normal with corolla? i have absolutely no clue what to do with it. it has only coverd 31k miles, looks and drives like new, what could possibly go wrong??

any suggestion will be appreciated!

Frank

It's quite possible that you have a knackered third gear. It's more likely to be something to do with the fact that its an automatic gearbox. They will always be less torquey due to the ironing out the gearbox does. They will never be as responsive as a true manual, but you should be able to get above third. That I cannot explain. All I know about automatic gearboxes is that they're magic...

It's quite possible that you have a knackered third gear. It's more likely to be something to do with the fact that its an automatic gearbox. They will always be less torquey due to the ironing out the gearbox does. They will never be as responsive as a true manual, but you should be able to get above third. That I cannot explain. All I know about automatic gearboxes is that they're magic...

thanks for your reply pal, the toyota dealer called me this morning and gave me a price at around 1100 pounds....further cost will be depending on the actual cause of the fault....man....i just foned up a number of car breaking companies lookin for a used semiauto gearbox, the news is that a whole semiauto gearbox will only cost me about 450, and it wil come with a 90days warraty, i will probably order one of these and see how it works out....

one QUESTION thou, are the gearboxes the same for both petrol and disel?

No the diesel and petrol engines will have different gearboxes because of the rpm and power bands of the engines. A second hand gearbox is something I would be very wary of... ;)

No the diesel and petrol engines will have different gearboxes because of the rpm and power bands of the engines. A second hand gearbox is something I would be very wary of... ;)

oh.......maaaaaaan, im so screwed.....

oh.......maaaaaaan, im so screwed.....

Try to find one at a scrappies. But go and check it out yourself. Check for the original Toyota red-seal (thats what mine has) and be wary of an incredibly low price. (There is often a reason). The mileage of the car will be important to check and you will also need to see why it is in the scrappy. (It could have been revved mercilessly for most of its life).

I hope you get it sorted out for a decent price mate. You could always go to Toyota for a new gearbox (just ask parts king) but that would minus out the good price bit.... :(