Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Carine E Gl1 Alarm

Isleworthian

Hi,

I have a 1993 Carina GLi with a factory fitted alarm which has taken to going off at inconvenient times for no apparant reason, eg during the middle of the night.

I think this is related to the fact that in normal driving conditions, when going over a bump (in particular) but sometimes for no apparant reason, the "open door" red light comes on. I think /assume this may mean that one of the door / boot seals/sensors is defective and if the car detects this when stationery the alarm just goes off.

I'm really not bothered about having an alarm on the car as it is now virtually worthless and have taken to leaving the thing open as the neighbours are starting to give me dirty looks but I'd like to get the alarm system disconnected. Is this reasonably straightforward for a dealer or preferably any car electrics expert as I'm having trouble getting the local dealer to book me in with all the recall work !

Alternatively is there a way of locking the car without enabling the alarm in the first place - if there is I can't figure it out and the handbook doesn't even mention alarms.

No, haven't had the car since new and didn't know such a key existed!

• 2 weeks later...

On the left hand side of the engine bay (from the front) you'll find the windscreen washer reservoir.Underneath this ,buried in the chassis rail,is a multi connector that I unplugged and cured my random alarm moments - all thanks to a post in this forum that I can't find again.

Watch out though as there are two alarm systems on these cars,or at least on my car there are (were).One appears to be an intruder alarm using the car's normal horn in regular pulses if you open the doors.The other appears to be the immobiliser/tamper alarm which has it's own on board Battery and uses a 150+ decibel siren to knock you senseless as you try to disconnect it.

My problem (97 1.8GS) was with the immobiliser/tamper system and not the door open alarm.If you get the thoroughly unpleasant screaming siren then this will work.If you get the horns blaring it won't.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

i had very same problem with my 93 carina e.neighbours woke me up in the middle of night and were about to linch me because of the noise!lol.took quite a while for me to sort this out.found it to be all down to a little rubber grommet that fits in the boot catch.one side of the rubber was worn.i found a similar grommet type thing in my tool box.fitted it.job done.no need to disable alarm.alarm dosent go off needlessly anymore and my neighbours are well happy!hope this helps.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links