Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hello, Newbie Here With Sr180

kawi kid

Hello, i'm new to the forum and new to Toyota cars.

Used to have a highly tuned nissan pulsar gtir for racing and a highly tuned corsa vxr for everyday. I have since sold the pulsar gtir and bought myself a brand new kawasaki zx6r bike for fun and sold the corsa vxr and bought an 08 auris SR180 with 10k on the clock.

I must admit, the auris is a nice car, and much more comfortable than my last cars. Bought the auris under the assumption that it will be cheaper than the vxr to run, to be truthfull, it is.......Just!!!!!

So, phoned my local toyota centre to check about the throttle recall, so they booked it in, so I also told them that the consumption was disgraceful @36mpg on motorway cruising, so MrT was going to take a look at that too.

Anyway, the wife took the car in this morning to get the throttle done and MrT put on the latest map/software on to the auris. So far the wife reccons the auris is a lot more responsive now after the update. So thanks MrT, we shall see now if the fuel economy improves !!!!!!

I have seen the how to on cleaning the egr valve and the dpf sensor, so I shall give that a go next week after seeing how much diffrent the car is now.

Does anyone know what this ecu update was for ? The techie in the toyota centre told the wife that it was a re-map, surely it was only an update ?

Welcome

The Ecu update is a remap but nothing too exciting. It is meant to adjust the fuel mapping to prevent over fueling at certain speeds.

I'm glad you like it I still like mine. Not sure why some people get poor economy. Some people are probably sick of me saying this but I seem to get 40+ MPG all the time. Just recently done a 7 hour round trip to cardigan bay west Wales through the valleys and got 43.4mpg which considering the terrain I was very pleased with. I had a serious hoon through the valley roads too.

Just make sure you use BP or Shell fuel, bettet mpg and reset the trip computer to get an accurate reading. Mine seems to under read by 2mpg too. Don't expect to get out of the 30s on short or town journeys.

Egr cleaning helped mine. Quieter idle and better pickup and free revving.

Welcome

The Ecu update is a remap but nothing too exciting. It is meant to adjust the fuel mapping to prevent over fueling at certain speeds.

I'm glad you like it I still like mine. Not sure why some people get poor economy. Some people are probably sick of me saying this but I seem to get 40+ MPG all the time. Just recently done a 7 hour round trip to cardigan bay west Wales through the valleys and got 43.4mpg which considering the terrain I was very pleased with. I had a serious hoon through the valley roads too.

Just make sure you use BP or shell fuel, bettet mpg and reset the trip computer to get an accurate reading. Mine seems to under read by 2mpg too. Don't expect to get out of the 30s on short or town journeys.

Egr cleaning helped mine. Quieter idle and better pickup and free revving.

My views on fuel cons

You'll see from my signature that after one year of tracking fuelling, i have achieved a year average of just under 40mpg. 5 under the advised.

Considering the engine type, and power outputs i think it is ok. Look at Saabs, vectra, bmw's with similar engine sizes and power outputs and you will not get much better than 40mpg...

I came from high revving petrol engines (Honda's VTi's, and Type R's , followed by Several Nissans with various SR20 engines and last one a Nissan 350z) and it took me a long time to get used to the diesel driving modes, specially with the amount of torque at low revs... i do suffer from heavy-footitis , perhaps you do as well?

At current prices tesco diesel or the more expensive bp Shell etc there is little or no benefit to be had ( higher quality fuel will give better mpg but will cost more and the cost off sets the benefit compared to running normal diesel and getting a bit worse economy...)

Give the car a month or so... and get the feel of this diesel (it probably took me around 2-3 months to "re-tune" my driving style and recallibrate from 5000rpm shift point , down to 2000rpm shift point... ;-)

My views on fuel cons

You'll see from my signature that after one year of tracking fuelling, i have achieved a year average of just under 40mpg. 5 under the advised.

Considering the engine type, and power outputs i think it is ok. Look at Saabs, vectra, bmw's with similar engine sizes and power outputs and you will not get much better than 40mpg...

I came from high revving petrol engines (Honda's VTi's, and Type R's , followed by Several Nissans with various SR20 engines and last one a Nissan 350z) and it took me a long time to get used to the diesel driving modes, specially with the amount of torque at low revs... i do suffer from heavy-footitis , perhaps you do as well?

At current prices tesco diesel or the more expensive bp shell etc there is little or no benefit to be had ( higher quality fuel will give better mpg but will cost more and the cost off sets the benefit compared to running normal diesel and getting a bit worse economy...)

Give the car a month or so... and get the feel of this diesel (it probably took me around 2-3 months to "re-tune" my driving style and recallibrate from 5000rpm shift point , down to 2000rpm shift point... ;-)

It won't take long before I get used to the driving style as I had a seat ibiza cupra tdi 160 running custom code pahase 2 before the mentioned cars in my first post, so its just a case of getting my shift points sorted again, which shouldn't take long.

Then i'll jump on my bike and change gear at 16k and forget all the above. LOL.

Dont get me wrong, im enjoying my Sr180, but the postdr above is wrong.

My previous car which i sold a month ago was a 177bhp Bmw 320d se.

That car gave me 47mpg all day long, even over the winter.

Doing exactly the same driving in my Auris, im averaging 39mpg.

Clearly, Toyota aint too concerned about economy!

Andy

Dont get me wrong, im enjoying my Sr180, but the postdr above is wrong.

My previous car which i sold a month ago was a 177bhp Bmw 320d se.

That car gave me 47mpg all day long, even over the winter.

Doing exactly the same driving in my Auris, im averaging 39mpg.

Clearly, Toyota aint too concerned about economy!

Andy

It is not 100% identical though... take the amount of torque delivery, emission level, the whole characteristics of the engine are different.

I cannot defend Jap diesels apart from the fact that they came into high performance diesel technology later than the euro car makers...!Removed! traditionally tried to avoid diesels engines for passenger cars, !Removed! also will focus on ensuring greater level of reliability, and no doubt compromise on fuel efficiency.

I heard horror stories of 2.0 diesel beemers regularly needing new turbos at 70k. I expect that Toyotas might last a bit better ( fingers crossed as I have already crossed the 70k miles on mine!)

All I wanted to say is that taken everything into account it is not great, but it is not bad, if you consider all performance aspects (including mechanical reliability)... it is an ok level, and due to the short rev range the driving style plays an importsnt role on economy...

BMW engines are exceptional. I know they do have narrower tolerances and the latest crop of efficient dynamics engines really do well on economy.

The weight and low saloon profile also helps and the smaller capacity 2.0 liters uses less fuel plus I don't think they have 5th injectors

They have active dpfs but I could be wrong. I do know that their egr cycle is much tamer meaning a lot less soot. They are also mapped differently. Seemily happy to go to redline. So compared to the avensis it will do 6 or so MPG more.

The t180s biggest issue with MPG is the ecu's use of the egr valve. Its too aggressive creating too much soot. Which means the 5th injector is active burning precious diesel. On the upside it is the cleanest nox diesel in its class and above.

Against a 170 vag which commonly do low 40's it performs just as well. Mine does.

agreed old skool, looks like im getting a skoda octavia vrs petrol dsg transmission on july btw fella