Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying An Avensis

macca1969

Hi 1st so be nice hehe.

im looking at buying an Toyota Avensis Tourer 5-Dr 1.8 VVT-i T3-X its 2004 and has done 75000 its up for £5250.

1. is this a fair price comes with 12mth parts and labour warranty.

2. is there any (or should i say many) common problems i should look out for.

3. is it a chain or belt (timing belt)

Many thanks for any advice given.

• Like 1

To macca1969.

As a car, you should not be un-happy in any way after a good test drive, a very nice drive. As to price, any of the car price guides should point you in the right direction. Paperwork, paperwork & paperwork again, check every last detail, if anything is out of place, walk away. VVTi is chain drive, just one major fly in the oinment, 1.8 vvti engine drink's oil if you are unlucky enough to buy a bad one. As stated, check your paperwork for any sign of engine replacement or short block replacement. Remember it's a buyer's market, plenty of these cars around, so walk away if your not 100% happy. Also, original parts are very pricey.

Regards, Beagh.

Hi,

Think it also very much depends on who is giving the 12 months full warranty ? - if its a Toyota main dealer fine, they should also be able to look at the service history and see if its had any oil problems / new short engine under warranty - don't know how much they would tell you though - but worth trying.

Cheers for the advice i have read on these forums about the oil problem thought it was pre 2002 models?

To macca1969.

No. The trouble started post 2002 with the introduction of the new range of vvti (only for unlucky people as mentioned above) engines. Earlier engines ex: 7A-FE belt drive still going strong. Mk11 Avensis your looking for is as good as any other car on the road, no such thing as a perfect car. The Japanese & Germans got as close as you will ever get with previous generation of vehicles, when they almost over engineered most models. Still unbelievably over-priced for spares & labour should this model break down ie: Cat, Oxy sensor etc etc.

Regards, Beagh.

PS: Might stir the pot a bit, you may get a bit more feedback as to this particular model.

To macca1969.

No. The trouble started post 2002 with the introduction of the new range of vvti (only for unlucky people as mentioned above) engines. Earlier engines ex: 7A-FE belt drive still going strong. Mk11 Avensis your looking for is as good as any other car on the road, no such thing as a perfect car. The Japanese & Germans got as close as you will ever get with previous generation of vehicles, when they almost over engineered most models. Still unbelievably over-priced for spares & labour should this model break down ie: Cat, Oxy sensor etc etc.

Regards, Beagh.

PS: Might stir the pot a bit, you may get a bit more feedback as to this particular model.

The vvt-i was introduced in a new engine lineup in 2000 in the MK1 Avensis facelift. Not 2002. As far as i know the post 2000 2.0 is an ok engine. The oil issues has mainly been reported for the 1.8.

The trouble i have is im not really going to know until i buy the car,if there is nothing showing on the service history.(times like these i wish i could just buy a brand new car :)

Sorry one more question IF the engine in the car is a bad 1 does it affect the performance or does the engine not last as long or is it just a case of keep topping up the oil.

Many Thanks

Mark

I just bought one (1.8 VVTI T-3-S) and I love it. However, having covered only 1800 miles since purchase it has developed a judder/vibration when doing between 60 and 70mph. Be sure to check the car in every situation if you test drive it!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links