Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Goodbye Aygo

kenl

Just posting to say that our Aygo Sport is being traded against a new Hyundai i10.

A recent breakdown has led to my wife losing some confidence in the car and a hefty bill has spurred us on to replacing the car to get another covered by warranty.

Here is a brief summary of our experience of the car since it was registered Sep 06 and covered 36k miles.

The car (until its breakdown) performed very well. The major reason I bought this car was the promise of fantastic fuel consumption and it performed really well in that respect. Although I have not calculated it for a long time it managed very close to 60 mpg doing a mix of town and motorway driving.

A major letdown to me was the very poor build quality of the interior. It rattled from lots of places in the car. This did not bother my wife, but even though it was a "cheap" car it really bugged me when I drove it.

A rust spot on the leading edge of the roof appeared after about 18 months. This was repaired under warranty by Toyota. Just prior to its first MOT the dealer took the car in and found that the discs were corroded and that it needed a new water pump. These were replaced under warranty.

I wont go over the fault that caused the breakdown as I covered this in another post.

Overall, the Aygo has been good but by no means perfect. we would have considered purchasing another but they really seem overpriced now. I bought this car (the top model at the time) for £7k. To get a top of the range one now with 4 doors and AC is ~£10k, a lot more than the car it is being replaced by.

One final shout to the dealer. Western Toyota (Cameron Toll, Edinburgh) have been first class in all respects and I would recommend anyone looking for a Toyota to give them a chance if purchasing or looking to service their car.

Wishing you good luck with your Hyundai i10

You must be prepared to offset the long warranty offered by Hyundai against the extended costs of servicing over the period.

Hyundai have certainly improved the overall quality of their cars over the last few years.............Let us hope for your sake that the quality of the dealers matches the cars!

I've always found Hyundai dealers to be brilliant, very polite with a decent knowledge of the cars they sell. :yes:

A particularly good one is MK Autorama, I have always been pleased with their service. I've been around Hyundai's for most of my life, first there were two accents, then a 1.6 coupe, then a 2.7 V6 which had to be sold. :( I was always pleased with them, in fact my dad still has the black coupe as his show car! :D

This was the V6:

IMG_0428.jpg

And this is the 1.6, but she has changed since then:

millyandengineparts037.jpg

You'll have a good time with the i10, and Hyundai's are amazingly reliable. :)

The new Hyundai Accent looks a stunning car and will give the Yaris a run for its money. Seen one last week with a spanish registration, not sure if they are available in the UK yet.

hyundai-accent-spoilers_cat.jpg

Put my name down for one :thumbsup:

"

Just posting to say that our Aygo Sport is being traded against a new Hyundai i10.

A recent breakdown has led to my wife losing some confidence in the car and a hefty bill has spurred us on to replacing the car to get another covered by warranty.

Here is a brief summary of our experience of the car since it was registered Sep 06 and covered 36k miles.

The car (until its breakdown) performed very well. The major reason I bought this car was the promise of fantastic fuel consumption and it performed really well in that respect. Although I have not calculated it for a long time it managed very close to 60 mpg doing a mix of town and motorway driving.

A major letdown to me was the very poor build quality of the interior. It rattled from lots of places in the car. This did not bother my wife, but even though it was a "cheap" car it really bugged me when I drove it.

A rust spot on the leading edge of the roof appeared after about 18 months. This was repaired under warranty by Toyota. Just prior to its first MOT the dealer took the car in and found that the discs were corroded and that it needed a new water pump. These were replaced under warranty.

I wont go over the fault that caused the breakdown as I covered this in another post.

Overall, the Aygo has been good but by no means perfect. we would have considered purchasing another but they really seem overpriced now. I bought this car (the top model at the time) for £7k. To get a top of the range one now with 4 doors and AC is ~£10k, a lot more than the car it is being replaced by.

One final shout to the dealer. Western Toyota (Cameron Toll, Edinburgh) have been first class in all respects and I would recommend anyone looking for a Toyota to give them a chance if purchasing or looking to service their car"

Sorry to hear that fella. I m in Edinburgh too. Look out for the ultra clean Toyota blue, reg BT57. I have had no problems with my car at all. Its never leaked, rattled or let me down. The thing you have to remember that the Aygo, like the C1 and 107 are all new cars. Like every car out there. Manufacturers always learn from their mistakes, and what goes wrong with their cars. I drove a Peugeot 106 Phase 2 after waiting a while for Peugeot to sort out their phase 1 failures. As you can see the new Aygo has better sound proofing, and other tweeks. As for the price? I wouldnt say their more expensive. Like everything else - prices go up.

I actually looked at a few cars at Cameron Toll but I found them too pricey!

Good luck with the Hyundaim because remember! The car in front is a Toyota! Pmsl :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear that fella. I m in Edinburgh too. Look out for the ultra clean Toyota blue, reg BT57. I have had no problems with my car at all. Its never leaked, rattled or let me down. The thing you have to remember that the Aygo, like the C1 and 107 are all new cars. Like every car out there. Manufacturers always learn from their mistakes, and what goes wrong with their cars. I drove a Peugeot 106 Phase 2 after waiting a while for Peugeot to sort out their phase 1 failures. As you can see the new Aygo has better sound proofing, and other tweeks. As for the price? I wouldnt say their more expensive. Like everything else - prices go up.

I actually looked at a few cars at Cameron Toll but I found them too pricey!

Good luck with the Hyundai because remember..........! The car in front is a Toyota! Pmsl :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The new Hyundai Accent looks a stunning car and will give the Yaris a run for its money. Seen one last week with a spanish registration, not sure if they are available in the UK yet.

hyundai-accent-spoilers_cat.jpg

Put my name down for one :thumbsup:

Bad news, I'm afraid... Hyundai don't sell the Accent in the UK any more. That generation was a stop-gap from the previous Accent to the i30... they're sticking with their 'i' range of cars in the UK from now one, so you'd probably have to import one from somewhere else. This was what they were selling in the UK up until about a year ago I think...

Hyundai-Accent_2010_photo_0e.jpg

And this is their current Yaris rival...

http://photo.netcarshow.com/Hyundai-i20_3-door_2009_photo_02.jpg

Original poster, good luck with your i10. I suspect you'll enjoy the 5-year warranty! Toyota are offering one at the moment, only until the Summer though, I believe...

To be honest Hyundai is the better option. They have a long warranty, good dealers, great prices and their cars are superior (in reliability) to every manufacturer (overall) now. Even better than Toyota I am sorry to say. :)

Call me a radical and slate me for not supporting Toyota, but Hyundai is where I'd put my money in your position. :lol:

I nust admit, looking at the prices and specs, i wish we had also considered the H10 when we bought the Aygo - its just one of those marques i'd've never considered in the past but how things change! (I'm now a skoda owner!)

............ and their cars are superior (in reliability) to every manufacturer (overall) now. Even better than Toyota I am sorry to say. :)

I was quite surprised to see that Hyundai were so reliable, but checking Which, JD Power and What Car that doesn't seem the case, could you give your source as to this information please?

Thanks

When I got my car, it was a straight choice between the i10 and the Aygo. To be honest, the i10 seemed a cracking little thing and ticked more boxes in that it was cheaper, had much better levels of equipment, a bit more space and the 5 year warranty. Aygo had better fuel economy and I thought it would hold it's value a bit more.

Driving wise the Aygo seemed a bit nore fun but the i10 certainly seemed more refined.

In the end it came down to looks, I just felt the i10 was a bit dull looking so I kind of let my heart rule my head. One year on and I'm happy with the decision. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Up until recently small Hyundais were mainly bought by pensioners. OK you might say a lot of Aygos owned by pensioners but fact is very few Hyundai owners UK were under 45. Now Hyundai sold loads of these i10s under scrapage scheme to people who will actualy be using them , treading them as a work horse. Well se how relaible they are in a year or so when the figures filter through.