Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Oil

Alan S W

What is the best type of engine oil to use for a 2005 Corolla 1.4lr?

Hi ya, You can get 5w-30w mobile 1 for 5litres £32 or 35 asda.

Or you could get 5 litres of oil from your local Toyota dealer for £12.....

;)

Use Castrol Magnatec 5w30 personally, £22.99 for 4 litres from Halfrauds.

Who makes people sigs/avatars on here? I notice a lot of members use a similiar style and I wouldn't mind one of my own.

The best oil is a broad question and it depends on what you are looking for, performance, longlife etc.

Any good quality reputable brand that meets or exceeds for the specs for your care will be just fine, if you look up your model here http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-879-products-for-my-car.aspx You should find some suitable oils.

Cheers

Guy

Just had 5w/30 semi synth for mine.

Who makes people sigs/avatars on here? I notice a lot of members use a similiar style and I wouldn't mind one of my own.

thatd be me.

as for oil, why bother spanking loads on oil.... toyota oil (clearly rebranded) is cheap as hell, and if its good enough for them.... my tsport can bathe in it. :D

why bother spanking loads on oil.... toyota oil (clearly rebranded) is cheap as hell, and if its good enough for them.... my tsport can bathe in it. :D

Because oil is not just oil, there is oil that is good enough as you say above and then there is oil that is really good and that costs more.

Cheers

Guy

thatd be me.

as for oil, why bother spanking loads on oil.... toyota oil (clearly rebranded) is cheap as hell, and if its good enough for them.... my tsport can bathe in it. :D

if we were to use tyres as an analogy, would you put remoulds on your car if they met the specification?

Tyres are a good anology, budget vs top quality. Same goes for brake pads

Cheers

Guy

am i missing something here ?

this lad never even said if his car was diesel or petrol and yous telling him to get 5w30 ???

if its diesel and he throws in 5w 30 he will have burned the gallon of oil in a week and seize the engine :huh:

well no matter what it is lad, its a 1.4 at the end of the day, i asked a couple of local toyota garages and they all told me they use 10 w 40 semi on 90% of the cars,

most lads giving you advise here have t-sports and if i had 1 i would want top quality oil, but as you have a 1.4 i would recommend a good quality oil thats doesnt break the bank.

up to yourself but i would recommend Castrol 10w 40 semi

well i personally wouldnt want it in my car, all i ever use is 10w 40 and even at that she will burn a bit of oil but all turbos burn oil iam told, i just think the 5w 30 would be a bit watery

this lad never even said if his car was diesel or petrol and yous telling him to get 5w30 ???

if its diesel and he throws in 5w 30 he will have burned the gallon of oil in a week and seize the engine :huh:

well no matter what it is lad, its a 1.4 at the end of the day, i asked a couple of local toyota garages and they all told me they use 10 w 40 semi on 90% of the cars,

most lads giving you advise here have t-sports and if i had 1 i would want top quality oil, but as you have a 1.4 i would recommend a good quality oil thats doesnt break the bank.

up to yourself but i would recommend castrol 10w 40 semi

My T dealer said the recommended oil for my 2.0D4D was 5w 30 and that's what they gave me for my last service. That is weird if different dealers are saying different things? My car has 88K on the clock and is sometimes a bit loud and clattery at idle even when fully warm, is this due to 5w 30 being too thin oil?

5w 30 semi synthetic is what most dealers use, it is available to buy from your dealer's trade parts department at a very good price in packs of 5 litres (I THINK it is made by Esso and branded Toyota, but I suppose that can change from time to time) The oil used in the workshops of dealers IN BULK is very often a different brand, but usually 5w 30. The actual grade (5w 30 or 10w 40) is very similar, it's the spec of each oil that is important, not just the grade. The majority of Toyota cars, petrol and diesel will run perfectly well on 5w 30 semi synthetic, UNLESS you have a Prius or Toyota with start/stop technology, they usually have 0w 20 or 0w 30 CHECK YOUR HANDBOOK to see the choice of oil for your car

Kingo :thumbsup:

My T dealer said the recommended oil for my 2.0D4D was 5w 30 and that's what they gave me for my last service. That is weird if different dealers are saying different things? My car has 88K on the clock and is sometimes a bit loud and clattery at idle even when fully warm, is this due to 5w 30 being too thin oil?

They are correct, a 5w-30 is the correct oil. The clattering could be down to the quality of the oil used.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-653-5w-30.aspx

The best ones there are the Silkolene Pro S, Motul 300V and Redline, but the Motul X-Max, Gulf Formula FE and Fuchs XTR are good cheaper alternatives. Ester based oils can often help to keep an engine quiet, so out of my suggestions, I would consider them.

We often get approached for 200l drums of 5w-30 and 10w-40 semi-synthetic oil by garages, but as we only sell decent oils, they complain we're too expensive. Most only want to spend just over £200 on 200L and we wouldn't sell anything that basic. Generally the lower quality the oil used is, the quicker it breaks down. A lot of garages have also decided that all cars run on 10w-40 semi-synthetic regardless of any manufacturer specifications. It's best to supply your own oil for a service as then you know what you are getting and generally you save some money on the cost as well.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-879-products-for-my-car.aspx

Cheers

Tim

If the diesel and petrol both take a 5w-30, why check if it's a petrol or diesel. The reason the dealerships us a 10w-40 on most of the cars is that it is okay in the engine and cheap. It's not because it's a better choice of oil.

If the diesel and petrol both take a 5w-30, why check if it's a petrol or diesel. The reason the dealerships us a 10w-40 on most of the cars is that it is okay in the engine and cheap. It's not because it's a better choice of oil.

So taking all this into account which oil would you recommend for my car considering the bearing etc may have englarged and the engine may require a slightly thicker oil to remove the knocking sound at idle? Any good 5w 40 oil? (Based on my assumption of 5w 40 being thicker than 5w 30?)

what sort of a statement is that ? why check..........

well iam just saying what my local toyota garages told me. as for suppling your own oil whos to say they even use it, they might throw their cheap crap in your car and keep the good oil you supplied for their own car !!!

well this 'will be fine' isnt a proper answer, what oil should be used for a 1.4 petrol / 1.4 diesel ?

i was just letting the lad know that all i use is 10w 40 when doing my services and toyota tell me thats what they use aswell.

If you've got a bit of a knock at idle, a 5w-40 may well help it.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones (and most likely to cover up any knocking) are the Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Gulf Formula G, Fuchs Supersyn and Mobil Synt S are good, cheaper alternatives.

If the diesel and petrol both take a 5w-30, why check if it's a petrol or diesel.

what sort of a statement is that ? why check..........

well iam just saying what my local toyota garages told me. as for suppling your own oil whos to say they even use it, they might throw their cheap crap in your car and keep the good oil you supplied for their own car !!!

well this 'will be fine' isnt a proper answer, what oil should be used for a 1.4 petrol / 1.4 diesel ?

i was just letting the lad know that all i use is 10w 40 when doing my services and toyota tell me thats what they use aswell.

What's the matter with my reasoning behind not asking if the car is diesel or petrol? According to Toyota (not local dealers who usually do everything as cheaply as possible, but Toyota UK) the correct grade of oil for any Corolla 1.4, diesel or petrol, is 5w-30. Therefore you don't need to ask if it's a diesel or petrol. Oils for petrol and diesel engines are generally the same, except ones that have ACEA C specs and certain manufacturer specifications (VW, BMW, Merc mainly). Even the ones with the ACEA C and manufacturer diesel specs are still fine for petrol engines, it's just that the diesel engines need those for various reasons

If you've got a bit of a knock at idle, a 5w-40 may well help it.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones (and most likely to cover up any knocking) are the Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS, Motul 300V, Redline and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Gulf Formula G, Fuchs Supersyn and Mobil Synt S are good, cheaper alternatives.

Thanks for your help. Next service isn't due right away but will definately consider the above next time. Out of the Mobil Synt S and Motul 8100 X-cess which oil is 'better' bearing in mind winter performance, the slight knock etc etc?

Very little difference between them to be honest. I'd go for the X-Cess on the basis you get 5L for about the same price as 4 of the Mobil