Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Advice

andrewfq

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to replace the tyres on my Aygo. Currently they are the factory fitted Continental eco 3's. I wasn't too happy about having them to start with having had issues with Conti's on previous cars.

Anyway, looking to change because I suffered a blow out when driving home one night at driver side front and having managed to completely stop safely, the tyre was pretty much gone. The fronts were just on the limit and were getting changed this month on pay day, but now I'm looking at replacing all four even though the backs are fine, I've just lost confidence now having never really been happy with them.

Previously always had Goodyear's on my Camry's lately the Hydragrip, so I need some advice if people have any suggestions. Happy enough to put down the money for four good ones, not bothered about wear as long as I can get at least 10-12k from a front set.

All suggestions welcome, I'm in dealership as I need to price some stuff, so I am gonna mention it to them when I am there.

I only rate Michelins as my #1 brand of choice. However the Contis are my next choice, if #1 is not available.

Having suffered excessive tyre wear [on the fronts] meant my Aygo needed new fronts @ 8K miles in 8 months - this was just plain unacceptable so I complained to Toyota and got Michelins fitted.

Too early to say if they are any better than the Contis, but I hope they last longer than 8K miles!

If you have a Costco nearby then Michelins is a no-brainer IMHO.

My choices would be...

Branded in order of preferance

Toyo

Goodyear

Bridgestone

I wouldn't personally buy Continentals now, they seem to have a tendancy to crack/perish down in the grooves, at one time they would have been my 2nd choice, but I'd rather have a mid range tyre before a Continental now.

Mid Range in no particular order

Kumho

Falken

Economy

You what???

I can completely reccomend the Toyo's

had nearly all the other major brands and these were the best for me, fantastic road holding in the wet and dry and no less superior economy wise than the conti's!

Toyo or Vredestein are both excellent mid price range tyres.

If you have a friendly fitter near you I can recommend Camskill if you want to buy online - at least use them to price up tyres to negotiate with other outlets.

Cheers for all the thoughts guys. Credit card company has upped my limit so I can afford something good!

I think the Toyos are a very good tyre (had them on my PUG 205 Gti) and found them good enough, perhaps a little lacking in the wet; but with Costco prices for Michelins, its a no brainer IMHO [to go w/the Michelins].

I think the Toyos are a very good tyre (had them on my PUG 205 Gti)

How do you go from a GTi to an Aygo..? :unsure:

never been keen on toyos. T1S seemed pretty average to me. Had the Vredesteins on my old ST which I thought certainly looked nice but I never had the car long enough to get to know them. My choice always would be Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s - awesome tyre.

How do you go from a GTi to an Aygo..? :unsure:

Oh The PUG was owned a while back and sold a few years ago. I miss it to this day :(

The Aygo I bought is for my Dad - its his, but I pay for its everyday costs :)

Well I got a set of Hankook 715's for the front today, all at £76.26 for the pair, so I thought that was okay. Saves the time of waiting for delivery and then having to get them fitted.

Just need to see how they feel now.

since passing my test only under a year now i have had my aygo black for 8 months and i have had 2 new front tyres already due to the fact that i hit the kerb lol on both occasions and well the tyre was never the same my local tyre fitter is makin fortune from me lol at the moment i have one toyo tyre and the rest are the factory fit conti